• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Rightwing group offers students $100 to spy on professors

vergiss said:
Psht, as if Conservative professors don't exist.

Are you going to make the argument that they exist in similar numbers, or is their mere existance enough for you?

Transgendered black jewish professors exist too, but not in the same numbers as old white men.

Study from UC Santa Clara and Stockholm University:

Ratio of Liberals/Conservatives in departments:

Anthropology - 30.2:1
Sociology - 28:1
Philosophy - 13.5:1
History - 9.5:1
Politics - 6.7:1
Economics - 3:1

Does that seem like its an ideologically balanced learning environment to you? It doesnt concern you at all that students might come out of college only knowing one viewpoint, not understanding the others?

http://www.ratio.se/pdf/wp/dk_ls_diverse.pdf

RightatNYU said:
Are you going to make the argument that they exist in similar numbers, or is their mere existance enough for you?

Transgendered black jewish professors exist too, but not in the same numbers as old white men.

Study from UC Santa Clara and Stockholm University:

Ratio of Liberals/Conservatives in departments:

Anthropology - 30.2:1
Sociology - 28:1
Philosophy - 13.5:1
History - 9.5:1
Politics - 6.7:1
Economics - 3:1

Does that seem like its an ideologically balanced learning environment to you? It doesnt concern you at all that students might come out of college only knowing one viewpoint, not understanding the others?

http://www.ratio.se/pdf/wp/dk_ls_diverse.pdf

I rather enjoy pointing out the bankruptcy of my professors ideological stances on a daily basis myself. It just goes to prove that I was right all along when I claimed that I was smarter than my teachers. All I ever needed to know I learned in the Reagan era. :lol:

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
I rather enjoy pointing out the bankruptcy of my professors ideological stances on a daily basis myself. It just goes to prove that I was right all along when I claimed that I was smarter than my teachers. All I ever needed to know I learned in the Reagan era. :lol:

I didn't say anything about being smarter, just being ideologically more liberal.

Believe it or not, the two can in rare occasions conflate.

RightatNYU said:
The lectures themselves aren't being used for profit, but rather to keep a record of the statements in class. The Alumni group is claiming its protected under a general news-documenting and advocacy loophole for classroom recording. And if the alumni group doesnt disclose the names of the students, the uni has absolutely nothing to work with. burden of proof is quite lovely.

And give them some credit, its a rather sizeable group of UCLA alumni with lots of $$ and legal counsel. I'm quite sure they've thought of and addressed this issue already, and have ways around it.

No, no. The students are the ones making a profit. If they're being paid to give the group lectures and other course materials, the students are the ones at fault. The alumni group, while obviously encouraging students to break the law/school rules with a cash incentive, is not doing anything illegal itself - it's the students that are in trouble.

KidRocks said:
Whitch hunt?

Could it be the r-wing operatives are out of control?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,1689653,00.html
Rightwing group offers students $100 to spy on professors

It is the sort of invitation any poverty-stricken student would find hard to resist. "Do you have a professor who just can't stop talking about President Bush, about the war in Iraq, about the Republican party, or any other ideological issue that has nothing to do with the class subject matter? If you help ... expose the professor, we'll pay you for your work."

:rofl how is that SPYING on a professor? It's simply reporting the bias that exist in most colleges and the failure of professors to teach curriculim so they can spout their own political bias's.

Tell me were those reporters at the presidents news conference SPYING on him?

And why would the professors have a problem with their courses being scurtinized? Perhaps the taxpayers and alumni who pay their salaries would like to know if they are teaching or preaching.

>>
Power corrupts and it seems young republicans are taking their cue from Rush Limbaugh and President Bush and his "Culture of Corruption" Administration!

Hey kid you never took my bet in the other thread about the socalled "Culture of Corruption".

Wanna bet that the next congress person who has to resign and faces jail is a Democrat? Do you know who that is? Or how about the last congressperson to have thier campaign fined and found guilty of illegal money raising, know who that was?

Deegan said:
You just refuse to accept this as a real issue, and if I used your logic, I would tell you to just move to San Fran, if you don't want to be gay bashed.:roll:

I am all for this, it is quite obvious to me, that some folks need solid proof, because they are living in a dream world.

First off, there is a big difference between being physically assaulted and having to sit through a lecture that you might not agree with. Second, I think the "gay bashing" that is claimed goes on is actually just "disrespectful asshole" bashing most of the time.

The reality is this...if you attend a liberal arts college, expect to have an overwhelming representation of liberal professors. If you attend a bible college or a campus which has a college of divinities, expect to have conservative professors heavily represented. Its your education so its on you to shop around for the environment that you think will best suit you. This is just as absurd as the whole "conservative" hype about the war on Christmas. And you people say liberals are whiners. :roll:

Engimo said:
No, no. The students are the ones making a profit. If they're being paid to give the group lectures and other course materials, the students are the ones at fault. The alumni group, while obviously encouraging students to break the law/school rules with a cash incentive, is not doing anything illegal itself - it's the students that are in trouble.

So how does the university know which students did that? And if a student were to record a class lecture, then write a news story which were to get picked up by a paper which then paid him for the story, that would be legal.

jallman said:
First off, there is a big difference between being physically assaulted and having to sit through a lecture that you might not agree with. Second, I think the "gay bashing" that is claimed goes on is actually just "disrespectful asshole" bashing most of the time.

The reality is this...if you attend a liberal arts college, expect to have an overwhelming representation of liberal professors. If you attend a bible college or a campus which has a college of divinities, expect to have conservative professors heavily represented. Its your education so its on you to shop around for the environment that you think will best suit you. This is just as absurd as the whole "conservative" hype about the war on Christmas. And you people say liberals are whiners. :roll:

I never said anything about physical violence, I was referring to verbal assaults, and you just brush these off as someone who is just "whining" I have to strongly disagree, some folks can't choose where to live, or go to school, you act as if you can just find some geographical cure? This is why I reminded you of your own words, so you could seriously consider your attitude on this subject, it seems like that of a hateful redneck, "just move you black bastard"

Deegan said:
I never said anything about physical violence, I was referring to verbal assaults, and you just brush these off as someone who is just "whining" I have to strongly disagree, some folks can't choose where to live, or go to school, you act as if you can just find some geographical cure? This is why I reminded you of your own words, so you could seriously consider your attitude on this subject, it seems like that of a hateful redneck, "just move you black bastard"

I find the irony that I could be compared to a hateful redneck quite ironic. Gives me cause to think about that one.

And for the record, I think even some of the verbal assaults on gays are brought on by gays themselves and so I have little sympathy except on a case by case basis. Let me remind you, I dont see any difference between whats termed a "hate crime" and any other crime except in rare instances.

I just find the whole thing to be blown out of proportion as so often happens with both sides of the political fence. Look at it this way...so conservatives have dominated the business world and politics (as of late). Why are you getting so bent out of shape about liberals dominating the academic scene? Whats good for one is good for the other.

jallman said:
I find the irony that I could be compared to a hateful redneck quite ironic. Gives me cause to think about that one.

And for the record, I think even some of the verbal assaults on gays are brought on by gays themselves and so I have little sympathy except on a case by case basis. Let me remind you, I dont see any difference between whats termed a "hate crime" and any other crime except in rare instances.

I just find the whole thing to be blown out of proportion as so often happens with both sides of the political fence. Look at it this way...so conservatives have dominated the business world and politics (as of late). Why are you getting so bent out of shape about liberals dominating the academic scene? Whats good for one is good for the other.

You know what, I was just thinking that very thing, hmmmm, why will they not see this problem for what it is, do they think we already have enough wealth, enough success, enough power, why should they complain about anything? Then you just said it, and I can certainly understand that thinking, but I would not agree with it's validity. Liberals are just as well off, and they often try to convince others that conservatives, are the only ones with a greed problem, or a head start in our society. This could not be further from the truth, and I am here to try and squash that ridiculous notion, and hope we all are able to enjoy a level playing field.

Deegan said:
You know what, I was just thinking that very thing, hmmmm, why will they not see this problem for what it is, do they think we already have enough wealth, enough success, enough power, why should they complain about anything? Then you just said it, and I can certainly understand that thinking, but I would not agree with it's validity. Liberals are just as well off, and they often try to convince others that conservatives, are the only ones with a greed problem, or a head start in our society. This could not be further from the truth, and I am here to try and squash that ridiculous notion, and hope we all are able to enjoy a level playing field.

I didnt say that liberals appear ill equipped for success in society nor that they were poor by nature. Just that conservatives seem to be dominating the business world and the political field and they are tying the two spheres of influence together with an alarming disregard for public opinion. It only stands to reason that because liberal ideals will not die out, they will find another sphere of influence to exert themselves. It seems that right now that is through academics. And why not...young college students are notoriously liberal and receptive to liberal ideas. I am not saying this as an insult, but on a college campus, the conservative is the minority and often times the enemy to such passionate and idealistic youthful liberal leanings. The liberal "bias" of academics isnt the fault of the professors, but rather a result of the academic environment.

jallman said:
I didnt say that liberals appear ill equipped for success in society nor that they were poor by nature. Just that conservatives seem to be dominating the business world and the political field and they are tying the two spheres of influence together with an alarming disregard for public opinion. It only stands to reason that because liberal ideals will not die out, they will find another sphere of influence to exert themselves. It seems that right now that is through academics. And why not...young college students are notoriously liberal and receptive to liberal ideas. I am not saying this as an insult, but on a college campus, the conservative is the minority and often times the enemy to such passionate and idealistic youthful liberal leanings. The liberal "bias" of academics isnt the fault of the professors, but rather a result of the academic environment.

Again, you sound as if you're comfortable with raising up liberals, and berating conservatives. I would argue that you will find more compassion with conservatives, then you would liberals. If I honestly thought liberals were as progressive as they pretend to be, I would be more receptive to their voice. As it stands, I only hear angry words, not action, but inaction, and while I am handing out food to the homeless, they are discussing how greedy I am. I just don't buy this new neoliberal garbage, it's more about self serving arrogance, and less and less about progressive change!

Deegan said:
Again, you sound as if you're comfortable with raising up liberals, and berating conservatives. I would argue that you will find more compassion with conservatives, then you would liberals. If I honestly thought liberals were as progressive as they pretend to be, I would be more receptive to their voice. As it stands, I only hear angry words, not action, but inaction, and while I am handing out food to the homeless, they are discussing how greedy I am. I just don't buy this new neoliberal garbage, it's more about self serving arrogance, and less and less about progressive change!

I am not granting either one more esteem than the other. I am simply pointing to a causal effect inherent in the academic environment that may be the source of liberal bias at universities. I am indulging this idea that there is a problematic influence in academia and looking now for a source...and mind you only as a nod to you out of respect for your opinions. Personally, I still hold that this is nothing new and nothing alarming.

When I stated that the conservative is the enemy on many college campuses, I was not implying that the conservative is my enemy nor deserves to be seen as an enemy. Only that the general leaning of most passionate youth is toward liberalism...and extreme liberalism at that.

Back
Top Bottom