• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Right Wing Think Tank, Peterson Institute, Prez says stimulus good.

JP Hochbaum

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
And austerity Bad.

"There is a lesson here for eurozone governments: use expansionary fiscal policies to promote well-designed reform rather than austerity to try to force change. For all the blood spilled in terms of unemployment and benefit cuts in Europe since the financial crisis began, the yield in terms of labour market reform has been meagre, and in product market liberalisation even worse. Given the damage to growth, adverse demographics and the need for structural reform, the prospects for public debt are only getting worse."

Shinzo Abe’s stimulus is a lesson for the world - FT.com

And austerity Bad.

"There is a lesson here for eurozone governments: use expansionary fiscal policies to promote well-designed reform rather than austerity to try to force change. For all the blood spilled in terms of unemployment and benefit cuts in Europe since the financial crisis began, the yield in terms of labour market reform has been meagre, and in product market liberalisation even worse. Given the damage to growth, adverse demographics and the need for structural reform, the prospects for public debt are only getting worse."

Link does not work well. Can you give an alternative link to this study?

And austerity Bad.

Many of the European leaders realize that the main problem is reform. But how do you get out of the Euro and roll back out of social democracy after having praised it for decades as the panacea for peace, economic wellbeing and all those good things. Most also realize that fiscal thrift is for growing economies and not for recession. But the Germans want to use the situation to their own profit, so so it goes.

And austerity Bad.

Japan's effort to promote economic growth via fiscal stimulus didn't start with Abenomics, its started in the early 90s

Truth be told export based economies like Japan will continue to struggle as long as the American economy struggles and stimulus will still be a short term attempt to paper over the lack of private investment at the expense of massive new debt

Hey JP, do you still have that GDP chart that shows Japans GDP tracking over the last 30 years with Americas GDP ?

Japan's effort to promote economic growth via fiscal stimulus didn't start with Abenomics, its started in the early 90s

Truth be told export based economies like Japan will continue to struggle as long as the American economy struggles and stimulus will still be a short term attempt to paper over the lack of private investment at the expense of massive new debt

Hey JP, do you still have that GDP chart that shows Japans GDP tracking over the last 30 years with Americas GDP ?

Your pathetic argument has been debunked so many times on this forum it amazes me that you continue to make it.

stimulus has it's place and if it is targeted at the right people.
The government on that 750b dollar stimulus would have been better giving every American family 10k dollars.

it would have gone straight back into the economy and probably jump started it a lot sooner and made
a better recovery. instead they stuck their head in the sand on so called shovel ready jobs.
green energy loans that lost taxpayers money but benefited Obama's campaign donors.

that is why it failed. the economy is now failing because Obama never made any momentum.
it has been the worst recovery in post WWII history. why? because liberals have turned
businesses off to growth and expansion. Their war on prosperity is finally seeing results.

The government on that 750b dollar stimulus would have been better giving every American family 10k dollars.

A third of the stimulus was tax cuts. Yer "proposal" would have cost $1.2 trillion.

>>it would have gone straight back into the economy and probably jump started it a lot sooner and made a better recovery.

You have no idea how the money would have been spent. Some of it would have been saved or used to pay down debt. I would have put every dollar of mine in my checking account and let it sit there, just like I did with the six grand I inherited a few years ago.

>>instead they stuck their head in the sand on so called shovel ready jobs … green energy loans … that is why it failed.

CBO says it was good for five million jobs and 6.2% in GDP growth over three years.

>>the economy is now failing

In what sense? Fifteen million full-time, private-sector jobs created, low inflation, steady growth, deficit cut by 75%?

>>it has been the worst recovery in post WWII history.

First near-depression since the Great one.

>>why? because liberals have turned businesses off to growth and expansion.

Because consumers and businesses don't react to events like the 2008 collapse the way they do to business-cycle recessions.

>>Their war on prosperity is finally seeing results.

We've seen the results of GOP policies — twice. Very negative.

And austerity Bad.

First off.. Peterson Institute isn't right wing anymore as Peter Peterson has gotten older, he's gonna the way of Bill Gates and Warren Buffet. Never really has been. If this was the Cato Institute.. that would be breaking news. But whatever.

Secondly.. I've actually never disagreed with targeted stimulus in which improves the whole of the country. I've always disagreed with pet project stimulus and backward thinking (not preparing for the future). I started a topic in the Economics section about this.. If you don't want to check it out.. short of it is.. rebuilding US infrastructure for the 21st and 22nd century in terms of the Internet, mass transit, high speed trains and Desalination plants.

Only one of those projects I expect to pay for its costs over 30 years directly in a tax and that would be high speed internet, but limits costs as its paid for by tax payers (i.e. TWC, Charter, Comcast, AT&T and so on can't charge $100 for 1gig but charge only $15 a month, after tax it's $20m per household). The other reason for the limit is that in the 1990s we gave $200b to telecoms and cable companies for the same thing to be done and it wasn't,that's your Federal Universal Service Charge every month. The new FCC plan called National Broadband Plan is just as bad as the National Infrastructure Initiative under Pres. Bill Clinton.

The rest of the projects I list, I don't measure in can we pay it off directly but can we in GDP over that period of debt. Some blasted the High speed rail and Mass Transit side of it... I get it. But growing up on the East Coast (and I am sure you know from your time there and in Chicago) that rail lines get clogged up and time is money.

Peterson Institute isn't right wing anymore as Peter Peterson has gotten older, he's gonna the way of Bill Gates and Warren Buffet. Never really has been.

You see "not RW anymore, never really has been" and "gotten older" as valid criticisms. Says a lot.

You see "not RW anymore, never really has been" and "gotten older" as valid criticisms. Says a lot.

I am not criticizing anything... I am just stating Peterson Institute was never very Right Wing. Peterson Institute wanted rid of Social Security and replace it with the equivalent of your TSP (basically a IRA or 401K in which the Government gives the money to the banks to over see) as to channel the funds to Wall Street but he wanted the Federal Government to force it. He's also not against cutting any Defense spending or any other kind of spending. He just wants the Trust fund money in Banks to gamble with and drive up Banks earnings.

He isn't even close to a right winger politically or economically as he wants the State help in the mandating of how it happens. A real Right Winger, Anarcho-capitalist or a Minarchist, says burn the whole bloody thing to the ground and Government has very little role in how people live, including welfare.

So let's not confuse RW with RINOs.

let's not confuse RW with RINOs.

I agree with that.

>>I am not criticizing anything... I am just stating Peterson Institute was never very Right Wing.

OK.

>>Peterson … just wants the Trust fund money in Banks to gamble with and drive up Banks earnings.

I figure that's overstated, but I'd say there is something to it.

>>He isn't even close to a right winger politically or economically as he wants the State help in the mandating of how it happens.

Well, not far Right. He's as yer saying, a sort of moderate, traditional, corporatist Republican.

>>A real Right Winger … says burn the whole bloody thing to the ground and Government has very little role in how people live, including welfare.

A real far RWer.

Well, not far Right. He's as yer saying, a sort of moderate, traditional, corporatist Republican.

Both sides of the center side of the parties (Hillary Clinton and even Donald Trump) are corporate whores.

Back
Top Bottom