• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Right-Wing "Patriots"

southern_liberal said:
also, the teacher I will call upon is working on his second masters degree which is in Middle Eastern studies. Wheather or not he went to the middle east? I don't know. But remember, a book can take you to a lot of fantastic places. My book collection is not just text books. Since you are a history major then Surely you have heard of the great historians such as Shelby Foote and the like. I read books by the great historians, and then I do my own research.

Peace

It's been thirty years since I was a student, but even as a 17 year old Freshman, I realized the subjective nature of the teaching of humanities. Now, it's not as if the sciences are completely without politics, mind you, as especially in the fields of applied sciences there is a certain kowtowing to those who write the grants, and of course there are always various "office politics" sorts of squabbles, but nothing compared to the humanities depts. Those are extrordinarily political by nature and highly subjective. The sooner you realize this, the better, as there is no such thing as an unbiased viewpoint, and ESPECIALLY when it comes to middle eastern studies.

Can we say "follow the money" here? With Saudi money pouring into American Universities earmarked for Middle Eastern Studies and the number of virulent antisemites who dominate these departments in so many major Universities, do you actually think you are receiving an unbiased education on the subject?

Your challenge should you choose to accept it is to find a professor of middle eastern studies at your university who isn't anti-Israel. If you have a difficult time finding any, that alone should dispell any notions that there isn't bias involved because in the normal course of human events, opinions tend to follow some fairly predictable bell curves, and so when they don't, you can be almost certain that there are factors influencing this -- factors that act to prevent one viewpoint in order to promote another. If you do find a balance of opinions on your campus, then good, but if your professors are monolithic in terms of viewpoint it is up to YOU to think rather than just absorb and regurgitate. Why are they all uniform in their views? Keep asking the question until you arrive at an answer that does not involve the circular logic of "they are right because they all agree and because they all agree they must be right".

Gardener said:
It's been thirty years since I was a student, but even as a 17 year old Freshman, I realized the subjective nature of the teaching of humanities. Now, it's not as if the sciences are completely without politics, mind you, as especially in the fields of applied sciences there is a certain kowtowing to those who write the grants, and of course there are always various "office politics" sorts of squabbles, but nothing compared to the humanities depts. Those are extrordinarily political by nature and highly subjective. The sooner you realize this, the better, as there is no such thing as an unbiased viewpoint, and ESPECIALLY when it comes to middle eastern studies.

Can we say "follow the money" here? With Saudi money pouring into American Universities earmarked for Middle Eastern Studies and the number of virulent antisemites who dominate these departments in so many major Universities, do you actually think you are receiving an unbiased education on the subject?

Your challenge should you choose to accept it is to find a professor of middle eastern studies at your university who isn't anti-Israel. If you have a difficult time finding any, that alone should dispell any notions that there isn't bias involved because in the normal course of human events, opinions tend to follow some fairly predictable bell curves, and so when they don't, you can be almost certain that there are factors influencing this -- factors that act to prevent one viewpoint in order to promote another. If you do find a balance of opinions on your campus, then good, but if your professors are monolithic in terms of viewpoint it is up to YOU to think rather than just absorb and regurgitate. Why are they all uniform in their views? Keep asking the question until you arrive at an answer that does not involve the circular logic of "they are right because they all agree and because they all agree they must be right".

Thank you.

As I said in my last post, I always do my own research which in effect helps me make up my own mind. I've never found the humanities to be subjective. in fact, most of the time in college school books, there are significant sources cited. As far as my books are concerned, they all have sources cited which allows me to do my own research. I don't take anyone's word at face value; I can think for myself. But is good to speak with knowledgeable people on a topic to get opinions.

The humanities and Social Science were my favorite course because they opened my eyes to the ways of this world. I don't think that is being subjective because I could have explored the knowledge I was newly exposed to or I could have disregarded it. The material did not try and indoctrinate me into any political philosophies, but the facts they presented, coupled with my own research by checking their sources and looking up others, is what shaped my political philosophy.

I don't understand why many liberal say bring the troops back now! Well I have news for you, they werent drafted. So when they die dont blame Bush or the Republicans. That soilder is the one who signed the papers. Also I would say many liberals are accidently un-american such as Sheehan when she call our soldiers terrorist.

Right-wing Patriot is an oxy-moron.

Back
Top Bottom