• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Right to lawyer struck down in Canada

Thank you for showing up and demonstrating to everyone why the innocent must be protected. Police will never think that individual rights being removed is a problem because it's their job to catch suspects, obtain confessions, and press charges. The more easily you can do this, the better you are at your job. And in the case of corrupt cops or cops who routinely abuse power - and yes, they for sure exist - they definitely want suspects to have fewer rights because it lets them increase their little power kick.
Dude, are you listening to yourself?
The cop that abuses power and is corrupt doesn't give a **** about any of the rights you have, because he is going to violate all of them anyways, so wtf does it matter?
Are you seriously acting as if a cop who intentionally violates someones rights gives a **** as to which rights that person has that he is violating? Which privledges that person is allowed to have that he is denying?

The answer... is NO.

I don't respect police anymore because they always tow the line of authority and they routinely speak out against the rights of citizens who are the very people they are sworn to protect. It's utter hypocrisy.
And I don't respect you anymore.

What does it matter if they are innocent? Innocent people don't admit to doing **** they didn't do.

That's just totally false. There have been numerous cases of innocent people doing just that. Faklse confessions aren't a mythical thing created to scare police officers. They are quite real.

Often, the confessor is mentally handicapped in some way.

That's just totally false. There have been numerous cases of innocent people doing just that. Faklse confessions aren't a mythical thing created to scare police officers. They are quite real.

Im aware of this......

However, someone falsely admitting to something they didn't do is on them...
They have the right to remain silent.

Im aware of this......

However, someone falsely admitting to something they didn't do is on them...
They have the right to remain silent.

See my edit. I forgot to mention a common trait amongst many false confessors and added it after the fact. Sorry I didn't get it in in time.

The truth is that false confessions are quite common and even likely among those with mental disabilities.

I tend to disagree with removing the right of counsel for that reason. I don't think false confessions are all that common in general, but I believe that since it is common with a group that deserves special consideration, steps should be taken such as a right to counsel.

Last edited:
Just to throw my two bits in, I think the right to counsel is vital and should never be abriged in any way.

The fact is, these days the law is so complex, and there are so MANY laws, and so many that depart from common sense, that you NEED a lawyer present in any conversation with anyone who has any kind of legal authority.

Every one on this board has broken laws other than traffic laws. Many of you have committed a felony and never knew it.

In conversation with the police, you can make a simple mistake and have it used against you in court later to prove you a "liar".

When confronted by law enforcement for anything more serious than a speeding ticket, the smart thing to do is to say "I want my lawyer" and then SHUT UP and say NOT ONE WORD MORE. Especially if you're innocent.

Sorry, we can't assume anything.

Officers all over the country have been sued for assuming ****. (not in this particular context obviously).

You aren't ever going to get sued for assuming that someone's invoking their rights until they state otherwise.

Besides, the supreme court has already upheld that we don't have to assume someone is invoking their right to remain silent. That came out this year.

It was worse than that, and it was a terrible ruling.

I have zero sympathy for someone who confessed to a crime they didn't do, period.

Nobody is at fault in that situation except the person that confessed to a crime they didn't do.

Well, it's obvious you have absolutely no idea whatsoever how it works on the Federal level.

That's not a personal shot against you, most people don't.

Just to throw my two bits in, I think the right to counsel is vital and should never be abriged in any way.

The fact is, these days the law is so complex, and there are so MANY laws, and so many that depart from common sense, that you NEED a lawyer present in any conversation with anyone who has any kind of legal authority.

Every one on this board has broken laws other than traffic laws. Many of you have committed a felony and never knew it.

In conversation with the police, you can make a simple mistake and have it used against you in court later to prove you a "liar".

When confronted by law enforcement for anything more serious than a speeding ticket, the smart thing to do is to say "I want my lawyer" and then SHUT UP and say NOT ONE WORD MORE. Especially if you're innocent.

I'm not replying to this.

I'm just quoting it because Goshin got it absolutely 100% correct and it bears repeating.

Back
Top Bottom