• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Right to drive - right to fly on an airplane.

Do you have a right to drive and/or fly on an airplane?

• You do not have a right to drive but you do have a right to fly on an airplane.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kal'Stang

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Do you think that you have a right to drive and/or fly on an airplane? Why?

Be sure to read the poll options carefully. :)

If you have a license than you have the right to drive. If you have not been disqualified for some reason, you have the right to fly.

If you own your own aeroplane, and obey the proper protocols, you can fly all you want. When you hop on a commercial airline, they, as a private business, have every right to stop you from flying, subject you to their rules (within the law), same with buses, or taxis, or any business that provides you with a service.

Without the proper qualifications, I don't have a right to drive or fly any more than I do the right to launch into space.

You have no right to do either. If you have been licensed and have legal access to a car and have not been restricted in some way, you have the ABILITY to drive, you do not have a right. The same goes with airplanes. If you have either a license to fly them, or a ticket to get on one and have not been restricted in some way, then you have the ABILITY to fly. No rights for either exist.

If you own your own aeroplane, and obey the proper protocols, you can fly all you want. When you hop on a commercial airline, they, as a private business, have every right to stop you from flying, subject you to their rules (within the law), same with buses, or taxis, or any business that provides you with a service.

If the "private airlines" were not continuously subsidized with our tax dollars; they would no longer be there. They are not really private since they take my tax dollars. And while private business has a large range of abilities to deny service; there are some things it may not do. It's not quite the free for all y'all want it to be.

In the United States, anyway, you have the freedom to do anything which isn't a crime, and it's the government which has to justify its intrusion into your affairs.

In the United States, anyway, you have the freedom to do anything which isn't a crime, and it's the government which has to justify its intrusion into your affairs.

This is exactly it! I may not have a "right" to drive (I'd argue a bit differently seeing how I'm paying for the roads, I'm entitled to use them). But the government cannot strip search my at their leisure if I happen to use the roads. They still have to justify their actions and show proof and intent. End of story.

The idea that you don't have a "right" to fly assumes that you may only do what the government allows you to do. I believe Cephus once described it as whatever crumbs the government lets fall off the table.

That, of course, is anathema to any concept of "freedom" and "liberty."

Last edited:
There's no right to movement, there is however a freedom of movement. Rights and freedoms are not exactly the same thing.

There's no right to movement, there is however a freedom of movement. Rights and freedoms are not exactly the same thing.

Either way, the burden is on the government to justify its intrusion into it.

Either way, the burden is on the government to justify its intrusion into it.

Aye, but it's very easy to justify when the government is appealing to the most sacred of all rights, the right to life.

Aye, but it's very easy to justify when the government is appealing to the most sacred of all rights, the right to life.

Well it's more appeal to emotion and fear tactics....but whatever.

It's not THAT easy, and the protection of life doesn't necessitate any willy-nilly intrustion. They have to justify both the reason and the means.

Well it's more appeal to emotion and fear tactics....but whatever.

The government has no reason to spend more money for the protection of its citizens unless it believes that it worths it, threat-level to cost wise.

Do you think that you have a right to drive and/or fly on an airplane?

IMO, the people who respond to those opposed to the TSA's new pat down methods, and scanners, may see this as a logical point, but it is quite a strawman. The arguments are being aimed at the TSA, a GOVERNMENT AGENCY who has decided that these intrusive methods are A-OK without testing to make sure they work, and without making sure they are constitutionally sound. The government intrusion is the problem, and that has always, from what I see/in my opinion, been the problem.

Do you think that you have a right to drive and/or fly on an airplane? Why?
Be sure to read the poll options carefully. :)
You have a right to travel.
The means to that travel is, in many cases, a privilige granted by government.
Driving is one of those means. So is walking down certain roads.

If you have a license than you have the right to drive.
That you need a license to drive means that driving is a privilige.

If you have not been disqualified for some reason, you have the right to fly.
Airlines are private entities. You purchase the privilige to fly; that privilige is conditional on your following the terms and conditions attached to contract created when purchasing the ticket.

You don't have a right to either. The state distributes the right to operate vehicles based on training and testing. This would be your drivers license. Also, with a regular license you don't have the right to operate just any motor vehicle, just class D vehicles. Airlines are private companies, they have the right to refuse service, and you have in inerrant right to fly on a plane. Both are privileges. The state distributes the privilege to drive, and airlines give the privilege of flight to customers in the forms of a purchasable service.

Airlines are private companies, they have the right to refuse service,

Except lately this argument has been brought up in an issue relating to government security, where airline rules/rights are moot [since the scope of the discussion is on the government agency].

Flying a plane without a license is a crime. So is driving without a license. After a person proves through testing that they have the technological prowess to operate these vehicles while taking into consideration the safety of the others they share the road/skies with, they are given a certificate which allows them to exercise these skills freely and without legal reprimand.

Last edited:
Only under certain circumstances.

Under which circumstances are you legally allowed to fly a plane without a license? I'm asking for more than some 24 scenario where the pilot dies and some guy needs to fly the plane or the black president dies.

Flying a plane without a license is a crime. So is driving without a license. After a person proves through testing that they have the technological prowess to operate these vehicles while taking into consideration the safety of the others they share the road/skies with, they are given a certificate which allows them to exercise these skills freely and without legal reprimand.

I'm pretty sure the topic here isn't the "right" to pilot a plane without a license. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom