• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Right Christians VS. Left Heretics?

Are US domestic politics a battle of Religion vs. The Mainstream?

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Yes, probably

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No, probably not

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No, definitely not

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Aeschines

Reaction score
In the United States, is the right wing viewed as "The Christians" and the left wing seen as "The Heretics?" In other words, are American domestic politics a battle of religion vs. the mainstream?

Interesting thought.

I think that the left is intentionally labeling the right as such. The right, IMO, is not as "Christian" or as religiously defined as the media seems to portray them.

It seems to be more of an attack on core values and core principles than religion.

vauge said:
Interesting thought.

I think that the left is intentionally labeling the right as such. The right, IMO, is not as "Christian" or as religiously defined as the media seems to portray them.

It seems to be more of an attack on core values and core principles than religion.

Vauge, your thoughts are a breath of fresh air for me! I agree with you one hundred percent. I myself am exhausted of friends and aquaintances making passing slurs equating the right with Christianity so directly, much as the media and the left portrays them, I agree. But you have to admit, while the tactic of equating a political alignment with certain religious beliefs (which in turn has brought a huge stereotype on the right of course) is dirty play (but who said politics were fair?), this tactic seems to be quite effective in creating a distinct moral division between the right and the left. Whether this play makes a long standing impact on the future of American politics, I have no answer. It certainley seems like an issue that will withstand much consideration for a while at least.

There was a shark bite victim in the news a couple years ago. Before you knew it, there were a lot of shark bite victims in the news. Incidents were happening in a global force and everytime I opened the paper or looked at news online, there was another one.

Now, was there an epidemic of shark bites that year? No. In fact, shark bites were following the average. The problem was, the media found a ratings getter so whenever an incident happened, they could milk it for a bit more rating.

I was born in 1973, my parents talk about all of the religion involved in politics that year especially with Roe V Wade going on. 32 years later and religion is still involved in politics.

I'm sure that there is some ebb and flow in shark bites as there is an ebb and flow. But all in all, I don't see how it's gotten better or worse since I can remember. I'm just glad that for the most part, the politicians have enough sense to draw the line as to how religion is involved in government.

The heretics...not joining in this debate out of protest...lol. i voted yes, probably.

Hey

I'm a Left Christian.. I must be a big minority.

or maybe I'm a Right Heretic.. who knows

Aeschines said:
In the United States, is the right wing viewed as "The Christians" and the left wing seen as "The Heretics?" In other words, are American domestic politics a battle of religion vs. the mainstream?
I think your premise is faulty. Who is the arbiter who decided whom should be labelled what? Why do you say that religion is not mainstream? A 1997 survey stated that 63% of Americans considered themselves affiliated with a faith group. That's just about two out of three. Seems mainstream to me. How about you?

http://www.religioustolerance.org/us_rel1.htm

In the game of politics, nothing is as effective as defining one's opponent in terms that suit one's own purposes, then proceeding to ridicule, deride, mock, razz, taunt, jeer, scoff, sneer; ride, and otherwise harpoon him or what he stands for.

Back
Top Bottom