• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Right and Left dynamics as impacted by the war in Ukraine

Centrist

Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I will like to share my personal opinion on how some right and left dynamics in the West are being impacted by the war in Ukraine.

Feel free to add/agree or disagree. I will start with a basic structure:

1. Right:
-> some that sympathize with Putin. Lots of discussions were put forward to why that is. My explanation is simple for this phenomenon. Like with Trump, Orban, Erdogan the profile of the voter is more social conservative with authoritarian tendencies. In my opinion if Trump had the infrastructure of Russian system he would be the same as Putin, if not worse. Your founders however forseen the dangers of populism so that was not possibile.
-> some that are being recruited by the Ukrainian side are the foot soldiers from the right in Europe. In Europe lots of far-right soccer hooligans are joining the far right militia Azov in Ukraine.

2. Left:
-> Some have become more militaristic. Is hard not to, the videos that are coming out are horrific and the russian aggression is not stoping, however, in my opinion no-fly zone/direct confrontation with NATO will bring more destruction to Europe, civillian deaths and a refugee crisis like never seen before which can impact politics all over the continent. They allow emotion to take over their intellect. The no-fly zone delusion. My explanation for this phenomen (some on the left becoming more militaristic) is an excellent campaign by the Ukrainian secret services that managed to weaponize social media. Lately the russians are starting to copy this method, some accounts that are new on Twitter are popping up daily with videos of russian soldiers interactions.
-> Another group, very small, decades after the Eastern European version of communism collapsed and Russia turned into a authoritarian regime, are still claiming that the man in charge of it is some kind of ‘anti-imperialist’ hero.

Overall though, aside from the small divisions, it is to be mentioned that we are currently experiencing a moment of rare political unity in the West.

Last edited:
I will like to share my personal opinion on how some right and left dynamics in the West are being impacted by the war in Ukraine.

1. Right:
-> some that sympathize with Putin. Lots of discussions were put forward to why that is. My explanation is simple for this phenomenon. Like with Trump, Orban, Erdogan the profile of the voter is more social conservative with authoritarian tendencies. In my opinion if Trump had the infrastructure of Russian system he would be the same as Putin, if not worse. Your founders however forseen the dangers of populism so that was not possibile.
-> some that are being recruited by the Ukrainian side are the foot soldiers from the right in Europe. In Europe lots of far-right soccer hooligans are joining the far right militia Azov in Ukraine.

2. Left:
-> Some have become more militaristic. Is hard not to, the videos that are coming out are horrific and the russian aggression is not stoping, however, in my opinion no-fly zone/direct confrontation with NATO will bring more destruction to Europe, civillian deaths and a refugee crisis like never seen before which can impact politics all over the continent. They allow emotion to take over their intellect. The no-fly zone delusion. My explanation for this phenomen (some on the left becoming more militaristic) is an excellent campaign by the Ukrainian secret services that managed to weaponize social media. Lately the russians are starting to copy this method, some accounts that are new on Twitter are popping up daily with videos of russian soldiers interactions.
-> Another group, very small, decades after the Eastern European version of communism collapsed and Russia turned into a authoritarian regime, are still claiming that the man in charge of it is some kind of ‘anti-imperialist’ hero.

Overall though, aside from the small divisions, it is to be mentioned that we are currently experiencing a moment of rare political unity in the West.

That populism is impossible is being challenged by the current US populism that is driving the country further right to authoritarianism and anti-democratic changes in our laws. Doesn’t look all that impossible to me.

There is exception to the political unity, being from some on the right.

Who is it that “…allow emotion to take over their intellect.” and why do you put that point on the “Left” side of your explanation of personal opinion?

Who is it that “…allow emotion to take over their intellect.” and why do you put that point on the “Left” side of your explanation of personal opinion?
That is my personal observation from people i follow from the left or through dicussions in my circle.

I found that before a lot of individuals from the left did not ask for direct military intervention, it was more discussion to understand the global implications. Some are now like the right wing voter during Bush's time.

Last edited:
That is my personal observation from people i follow from the left or through dicussions in my circle.

I found that before a lot of individuals from the left did not ask for direct military intervention, it was more discussion to understand the global implications. Some are now like the right wing voter during Bush's time.

My point is, does the left "...allow emotion to take over their intellect." whereas the right does not? Both sides to everything, but some things are done on one side more often and severely than the other. So, why would you put that characteristic on the left and not the right?

-> Another group, very small,
decades after the Eastern European version of communism collapsed and Russia turned into a authoritarian regime, are still claiming that the man in charge of it is some kind of ‘anti-imperialist’ hero.

There might be someone out there like that. But the other significant group (that many are flailing to otherize) is the "it's much more complicated than that" and/or the anti-war people.

Overall though, aside from the small divisions, it is to be mentioned that we are currently experiencing a moment of rare political unity[*] in the West.

* stupidity

My point is, does the left "...allow emotion to take over their intellect." whereas the right does not? Both sides to everything, but some things are done on one side more often and severely than the other. So, why would you put that characteristic on the left and not the right?
My opinion about the left-wing followers was restraint when it is war. I was holding them to a different standard.

In this case, the left-wing ideologues allow emotion to take over their intellect mostly due to the PR job done by Ukrainian Secret Services (former FSB/KGB = so same dad as Russia).

It is an emotional reaction to call for a no-fly zone or NATO troops to intervene when that will lead to more deaths and a massive humanitarian crisis followed up by populism in Europe. The global implications are complex which might lead to the EU and NATO alliance being dissolved. These 2 alliances are the best thing that happened to Europe.

In my opinion, the right-wing is not as interventionist because it is not the Middle East. If the dictator was Assad or the Iranian Supreme leader rest assured they would be in the first lines.

Apologies for talking in generalizations however that's the environment the left and right created in your country, pure polarization, so I am speaking that language :cool:

Last edited:
"it's much more complicated than that" and/or the anti-war people.
Please state the position of anti-war people.

How will the anti-war people go to the Ukrainian president and Putin and make them stop fighting?

How is the anti-war solution going to be practically applied to this conflict? Practical use.

I am all ears.

1. Right:

2. Left:

I think this Zosia Brom essay may be what you're looking for...
Yes, it's written by an anarchist and I generally don't like listening to anarchists for the most part.
But in this case, her take seems pretty sound and rational, she seems to have put her finger on the hysteria of the Far Left rather well.
Take note, she's primarily speaking to Brits, but it applies universally, sorry!

"**** Leftist Westplaining"

I came to the UK in 2004: 18 years ago. Culturally, it was and still is a very bizarre experience and maybe one day I will write another rant about it. One of the aspects of it is the tolerance, or simply embracement, of the Soviet imagery and sentiments (the sentiments and imagery, let me point out, that do not belong to you). At some point, you guys made Red London, a Stalinist page, the most popular leftist FB page in the country. You tolerate giant portraits of Stalin and Mao on Mayday marches, and ****ing hell, in 2017 you tolerated the flag of something called Syrian Social Nationalist Party being sported on Mayday march in London, despite it looking fascist AF even without any knowledge on Syria.

To you it’s all a joke to put on a mug or your other merch. **** you.

You, decades after the Eastern European version of communism collapsed and Russia turned into a turbocapitalist, authoritarian regime, are still claiming that the man in charge of it is some kind of “anti-imperialist” hero, despite him doing pretty much all he can to assure his stated aim of rebuilding the Russian empire and beyond. Similarily, in your heads, NATO and other Western organisations are always on the wrong side, and always perpetrators of everything bad in this world. You could, ofc, google it, but who would bother if you have such intellectual figures as Noam Chomsky with his disgraceful, relativising stances to tell you what to think.

And...as usual I must put this as a disclaimer, taken from Leon Russell's "Magic Mirror" ---

"The Left ones think I'm Right, the Right ones think I'm wrong."

Last edited:
There might be someone out there like that. But the other significant group (that many are flailing to otherize) is the "it's much more complicated than that" and/or the anti-war people.

* stupidity
What? Everyone is antiwar.
NOBODY except maybe General Patton, LOVES war.
The key differences mainly fall into which groups accept the reality that sometimes wars happen and it's best to be prepared if you wish to survive.
And...in a practical sense, if you do survive, I'm sure most would much rather not wind up surviving only to wind up in the hands of an authoritarian regime.

Yes, we would ALL much rather have a world, a universe, where war is obsolete.
Good luck.

Please state the position of anti-war people.

How will the anti-war people go to the Ukrainian president and Putin and make them stop fighting?

How is the anti-war solution going to be practically applied to this conflict? Practical use.

I am all ears.

Anti-war people have been fighting against militarism since at least the Second World War. You've done a slightly better job of hiding that your question is the same as the attempted 'gotcha' question that others have posed: What do the anti-war people advocate for doing NOW that militarism reached peak stupidity (while doing much of the opposite of what anti-war people have been calling for)? In proverbial words: The proverbial horses have been out of the proverbial barns for at least six decades, and you're asking me (very likely disingenuously) to help you get the horses back in the barns after militarism burned the barns down.

Address what I'm saying here, or not, and I'll reply with plenty of anti-war positions from 'then' and 'now,' at my convenience.

1. Anti-war people have been fighting against militarism since at least the Second World War.

2. You've done a slightly better job of hiding that your question is the same as the attempted 'gotcha' question that others have posed: What do the anti-war people advocate for doing NOW that militarism reached peak stupidity (while doing much of the opposite of what anti-war people have been calling for)? In proverbial words: The proverbial horses have been out of the proverbial barns for at least six decades, and you're asking me (very likely disingenuously) to help you get the horses back in the barns after militarism burned the barns down.

3. Address what I'm saying here, or not, and I'll reply with plenty of anti-war positions from 'then' and 'now,' at my convenience.
1. Good, as a matter of fact, I know some people that are no-war but they don't wear it like a badge lecturing people on a daily basis. They live in peace. They even spent years in prison. In WW2 a particular religious sect Jehova's Witness refused to fight either with the German or the Russian army. They spent years in prison in both camps but maintained their ideology. I respect people that put their money where their mouth is to use an expression.

2. You are blaming people around for the so-called militarism. Militarism comes with progress which I agree, ironically might be our undoing. However, no anti-war movement would have been able to stop what is inside deep into our DNA: tribalism and survival.

3. I just did, let's just give thanks for that Sir. Winston Churchill did not have your positions or right now we would all be speaking German:

Let me be clear, I don't stand for war between Russia and NATO and it won't happen. Do you know why? Because of NATO's strong military that a lot of Europeans support. A lot of them have seen enough of Russian rule systems and support the alliance.

You have a lot of convincing to do.

1. Good, as a matter of fact, I know some people that are no-war but they don't wear it like a badge lecturing people on a daily basis. They live in peace. They even spent years in prison. In WW2 a particular religious sect Jehova's Witness refused to fight either with the German or the Russian army. They spent years in prison in both camps but maintained their ideology. I respect people that put their money where their mouth is to use an expression.

2. You are blaming people around for the so-called militarism. Militarism comes with progress which I agree, ironically might be our undoing. However, no anti-war movement would have been able to stop what is inside deep into our DNA: tribalism and survival.

I just did, let's just give thanks for that Sir. Winston Churchill did not have your positions or right now we would all be speaking German:

Let me be clear, I don't stand for war between Russia and NATO and it won't happen. Do you know why? Because of NATO's strong military that a lot of Europeans support. A lot of them have seen enough of Russian rule systems and support the alliance.

You have a lot of convincing to do.

Your comment has several issues. One is that you (pretend like you) want me to explain the anti-war position and you complained about "don't wear it like a badge lecturing people on a daily basis," on a political discussion website, (especially) when war is the current hot topic.

I exposed your attempted 'gotcha' question, and your commentary fell apart in response.

Your comment has several issues. One is that you (pretend like you) want me to explain the anti-war position and you complained about "don't wear it like a badge lecturing people on a daily basis," on a political discussion website, (especially) when war is the current hot topic.

I exposed your attempted 'gotcha' question, and your commentary fell apart in response.
Alright, let me just put this confusion to the fact that I speak/write/understand several languages. That does not mean I do it well for all.

Your main argument is that we lost the train for a "no-war" society? Is your role then like a preacher? instead of bringing the good news -> you just remind society daily of the bad news that we messed up?

So since we can't turn time back to change the course, are there any solutions in the present time that can be applied to push society towards a no-war world?

I am not being ironic, I am really curious to hear the present time solutions.

The left and right fringe have destroyed way more than people want to accept

Alright, let me just put this confusion to the fact that I speak/write/understand several languages. That does not mean I do it well for all.

Your main argument is that we lost the train for a "no-war" society? Is your role then like a preacher? instead of bringing the good news -> you just remind society daily of the bad news that we messed up?

So since we can't turn time back to change the course, are there any solutions in the present time that can be applied to push society towards a no-war world?

I am not being ironic, I am really curious to hear the present time solutions.

Demilitarization to the point that it's truly defensive in nature, especially for the US.

Invest in effective truly international justice systems.

Change from a domination mentality to a cooperation mentality, in several key areas, with geopolitics and environmentalism being the big two.

Change from constantly preparing for war to promoting peace.

Truly strive to achieve 'well-being for all' as the best form of prevention.

Invest in 'nonviolent weapons.'

Abolish all nuclear weapons.

1.Demilitarization to the point that it's truly defensive in nature, especially for the US.

2.Invest in effective truly international justice systems.

3.Change from a domination mentality to a cooperation mentality, in several key areas, with geopolitics and environmentalism being the big two.

4.Change from constantly preparing for war to promoting peace.

5.Truly strive to achieve 'well-being for all' as the best form of prevention.

6.Invest in 'nonviolent weapons.'

7. Abolish all nuclear weapons.
1. Requires the majority of the people in the world to have the same frame of thinking. How are you going to enforce this demilitarization and police it?
2. Yes, I believe progress starts with a healthy justice system.
3. How are you going to enforce this change?
4. Good theory, in practical use though -> as soon as one side puts its guard down the other side will impose its will. Human nature. You are a dreamer.
5. Do you think the Ukrainians and Russians will find well-being after the war? In the name of "well-being for all" millions of people died.
6. Yah, why not?!
7. How are you going to enforce/police this?

I am not seeing it as possible from my view.

1. Requires the majority of the people in the world to have the same frame of thinking. How are you going to enforce this demilitarization and police it?
2. Yes, I believe progress starts with a healthy justice system.
3. How are you going to enforce this change?
4. Good theory, in practical use though -> as soon as one side puts its guard down the other side will impose its will. Human nature. You are a dreamer.
5. Do you think the Ukrainians and Russians will find well-being after the war? In the name of "well-being for all" millions of people died.
6. Yah, why not?!
7. How are you going to enforce/police this?

I am not seeing it as possible from my view.

Your view is based in fear and the paradigms that do much to create the conditions that cause problems, when not directly causing problems.

The reality is that barbarism begets barbarism. It's well past the time to move past barbarism.

My opinion about the left-wing followers was restraint when it is war. I was holding them to a different standard.

In this case, the left-wing ideologues allow emotion to take over their intellect mostly due to the PR job done by Ukrainian Secret Services (former FSB/KGB = so same dad as Russia).

It is an emotional reaction to call for a no-fly zone or NATO troops to intervene when that will lead to more deaths and a massive humanitarian crisis followed up by populism in Europe. The global implications are complex which might lead to the EU and NATO alliance being dissolved. These 2 alliances are the best thing that happened to Europe.

In my opinion, the right-wing is not as interventionist because it is not the Middle East. If the dictator was Assad or the Iranian Supreme leader rest assured they would be in the first lines.

Apologies for talking in generalizations however that's the environment the left and right created in your country, pure polarization, so I am speaking that language :cool:

Thanks for the clarity.

What you say is refuted by a poll of people, showing a great majority of both Reps, being mostly cons, and Dems, having more libs than the Reps, supporting a no-fly zone in Ukraine:

And that Reps and Dems, the one Dem being a conservative, Congress support a no-fly zone:

The RW is more interventionist leaning in this non-ME country. The cons were the most that voted for the interventionist Gulf of Tonkin Resolution that brought the Vietnam war on, fully. So, your generalization that you continued in your post by saying "In my opinion, the right-wing is not as interventionist because it is not the Middle East." to clarify your prior post is refuted by the evidence.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarity.

What you say is refuted by a poll of people, showing a great majority of both Reps, being mostly cons, and Dems, having more libs than the Reps, supporting a no-fly zone in Ukraine:

A no-fly zone would be foolish escalation of the war.

1. Right:
-> some that sympathize with Putin.

2. Left:
-> Some have become more militaristic.

You are going to see things like this when Democrats and Republicans are pulled further away from the center by the extremes within their ideologies, probably amplified by how often the marching orders are do not negotiate or openly agree with the opposition. And these days that includes those more Independent.

Another way to say all of this is you may see more unity if there was not such motivation to avoid unity.

That explains, in a very odd way, why the Right may be more sympathetic to Putin / Russia entirely to avoid looking like they agree with Democrats. Where that goes off the rails is Democrats "becoming more militaristic" because that is not quite what Biden and Congressional Democrats are calling for. Lines in the sand, meeting with allies, sanctions, tough talk, of course all of that but few if any Democrats are calling for outright fighting Russia for Ukraine. NATO tends to agree.

Thanks for the clarity.

And that Reps and Dems, the one Dem being a conservative, Congress support a no-fly zone:

The RW is more interventionist leaning in this non-ME country. The cons were the most that voted for the interventionist Gulf of Tonkin Resolution that brought the Vietnam war on, fully. So, your generalization that you continued in your post by saying "In my opinion, the right-wing is not as interventionist because it is not the Middle East." to clarify your prior post is refuted by the evidence.
The West is not only the United States of America. There are lands outside North America. Your evidence is an article from Reuters. I am not denying the results of its findings. The right had to adapt fast when they realized the situation was serious https://www.economist.com/europe/20...aking-life-difficult-for-right-wing-populists. And we all know the populists are who control the masses and the polling by passing their instructions to the voter.

Once public opinion got ahold and the videos started coming up Tucker Carlson did a 180 degree and Trump went from calling Putin "a genius" to "I would have attacked Moscow". Forgive me but in recent history, the right has a track recorder with the Middle East. Colin Powell's speech and Donald Rumsfeld kept popping up in my head. Also Dick Cheney/Bush.

Having such "honorable" individuals as a reference point it was my impression that the other side, followers of the democrats/independents in the USA learned a lot so, with that poll correct, it shows nothing was learned. The left is at the level of the right.

---> There might be another scenario -> If the question was asked: "Do you want to establish the no-fly zone to protect Ukrainians?" without explaining the implications then that -> provides an explanation for putting emotion over intellect.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/ukraine/2022-03-10/no-fly-zone-delusion

Last edited:
I think you are underestimating the "small group" on both sides.
some that are being recruited by the Ukrainian side are the foot soldiers from the right in Europe. In Europe lots of far-right soccer hooligans are joining the far right militia Azov in Ukraine.
On the right, there are a large number of patriot types that support Ukraine simply because it secures America's geopolitical interests. They want to see a strong US that stays as a leader of the world.

Another group, very small, decades after the Eastern European version of communism collapsed and Russia turned into a authoritarian regime, are still claiming that the man in charge of it is some kind of ‘anti-imperialist’ hero.
Sadly as a leftist I must report the situation is a bit more grim. While the number of psycho tankie's that think Russia is somehow anti-imperialist is fair small, a large number of the left have fallen into an incredibly annoying "both sides" mentality that always just ends up justifying Russia's actions. A good example of this would be Chomsky, and the UK's Jeremy Corbin.

1650564174709.png
1650564240571.png

On this I believe you are entirely correct.
1650564200811.png

"More militaristic"?

That makes no sense without a more in-depth comparison of this situation to things like the Iraq war that also happens to take account of the differences between the conflicts as to which someone's militarism is being assessed.

It's a meaningless statement otherwise. Ukraine is different from Iraq, which is different from Afghanistan, which is different from Vietnam. If I didn't support intervention in Iraq, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm more militaristic were I to support sending troops to Ukraine. You'd have to show I'm saying yes to intervention in a situation that is sufficiently similar to some other intervention I said no to, and that takes an in-depth consideration of all the principles involved and the differing circumstances.

A man sees two teenagers playfighting and does nothing.
A man later sees a teenager violently assault a bystander and tackles/restrains the teenager until the police deal with him.

Can we say the man became more in favor of violent intervention than he previously was? Or are they perhaps completely different circumstances and the man responded differently because of those differences?

I think you are underestimating the "small group" on both sides.

On the right, there are a large number of patriot types that support Ukraine simply because it secures America's geopolitical interests. They want to see a strong US that stays as a leader of the world.

Sadly as a leftist I must report the situation is a bit more grim. While the number of psycho tankie's that think Russia is somehow anti-imperialist is fair small, a large number of the left have fallen into an incredibly annoying "both sides" mentality that always just ends up justifying Russia's actions. A good example of this would be Chomsky, and the UK's Jeremy Corbin.

View attachment 67386680
View attachment 67386682

On this I believe you are entirely correct.
View attachment 67386681

Excellent information. As I mentioned in my first posting, it was a basic structure.

I also want to add something to this thread in regards to the extremes of the political spectrum:

It revealed a tendency evident on both extremes of the political spectrum - the far-left and far-right - to side with the Russian President as an expression of their discontent with the state of the modern Western world.

This trend, which is evident around the world, exemplifies the so-called “horseshoe theory” of politics attributed to French writer Jean-Pierre Faye. The theory holds that the far-left and far-right can end up closer to each other than they do to the political center, with both tending to gravitate towards authoritarianism.

6.jpg

Full article:
https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe...right-can-t-resist-putin-20220304-p5a1rw.html|

I did not have time to check what Chomsky is saying lately. What is his position?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom