• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rick Scott shows why McConnell didn’t want to release platform as GOP calls to hike taxes on poor

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

This week the head of the National Republican Senatorial Committee released a detailed plan of what the party plans to do if it retakes control of the Senate — and the ensuing backlash quickly showed why Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., refused to release a party platform at all ahead of the midterms. "I'll let you know when we take it back," McConnell told reporters last month, staying mum on what the GOP would do if it wins the Senate in November. So Sen. Rick Scott, R-Fla., who leads the Senate Republican campaign arm, released his own "11-point plan to rescue America" that calls to raise taxes on millions of poor families and other right-wing priorities. The plan also calls to sunset civil rights laws, eliminate the Education Department, declare that there are only two genders, and build former President Donald Trump's border wall. "I'll warn you," Scott wrote in the introduction to the plan. "This plan is not for the faint of heart." Democrats quickly seized on Scott's proposal to impose taxes on Americans who don't have any tax burden. "He wants working families and seniors to pay more," tweeted Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. Scott in an interview with Fox News' Sean Hannity insisted that his plan did not call to raise taxes. But Scott's plan explicitly calls to increase taxes on people who currently do not have to pay any.

"All Americans should pay some income tax to have skin in the game, even if a small amount," the proposal says. "Currently over half of Americans pay no income tax." White House press secretary Jen Psaki noted that Scott's plan "doesn't include a single proposal to lower prices for the middle class." The plan also calls to shrink the government by eliminating 25% of government workers and require all legislation to expire after five years, which would presumably apply to longstanding legislation like civil rights and voting rights reforms. Scott's plan also goes all-in on the Republican culture war, calling to eliminate the Education Department entirely, end teacher tenure at public schools, and require all children to say the Pledge of Allegiance and stand for the National Anthem while hitting out at "critical race theory."
Former Republican strategist Steve Schmidt said there is little support for Scott's plan beyond the party's rabid base and could be a gift to Democrats facing challenges in the midterms. "This document is just a laundry list of grievances and nonsense. "It's not a blueprint for anything other than to titillate Fox News viewers and to tickle their erogenous zones, their grievance zones on Fox & Friends."

Two unavoidable outcomes when Republicans take over Congress....

1) Tax breaks for the wealthy and corporations.

2) Incresed taxes for everyone else.

well, the last time the gop raised taxes were under GHWB, and they paid a price for that, that we're still dealing with today.

I don't think they're going to do it. This seems to be Rick Scott's wish list. If they were serious about it, i doubt this would have come out.

You dispute the claim that 1/2 of American pays no Federal Income Tax ?
Because they are the poorest among us and yet some folks think it's ok to tax them when some corporations making billions in profit pay no federal income tax and rail against raising taxes on them.

There is nothing to dispute in the fact that a whole bunch of americans just don't make that much money. Do you dispute people hide their money offshore to avoid paying taxes?

Because they are the poorest among us and yet some folks think it's ok to tax them when some corporations making billions in profit pay no federal income tax and rail against raising taxes on them.

There is nothing to dispute in the fact that a whole bunch of americans just don't make that much money. Do you dispute people hide their money offshore to avoid paying taxes?

I'll take that as a no (with a whole lot of whining and pontificating).

And I have no idea about who hides money offshore or elsewhere. It would not surprise me in the least that wealth people, in their greed, do such things.

What is the income level of that half of Americans who pay no income tax? Do you want to tax people who are living below the poverty line?

What is the income level of that half of Americans who pay no income tax? Do you want to tax people who are living below the poverty line?

As simple yes or no to the question posed will suffice.

You can spare me the rest.

As simple yes or no to the question posed will suffice.

You can spare me the rest.
Im not playing your simplistic binary strawman. Facts matter and you know that your argument collapses when those facts are discussed.

Im not playing your simplistic binary strawman. Facts matter and you know that your argument collapses when those facts are discussed.

It's a simple question.

The morality of it can be discussed later.

The fact that you don't have the courage to answer the question isn't my issue.

It's a simple question.

The morality of it can be discussed later.

The fact that you don't have the courage to answer the question isn't my issue.
There is no morality involved. You cannot tax someone who is already living below the poverty line. They already pay sales taxes and gas taxes. if they are living below the poverty line and lack money for basic life necessities to the point where they get benefits from the social safety net then how do you plan to tax their insufficient income?

Go sell your nonsense to someone who might be dumb enough or emotionally biased enough to buy it.

Yes they want to increase taxes on the fiscally handicapped to cover the cost of more tax breaks for the people who don't need the tax breaks. Could be those "tax breaks" come back as kick backs hidden as
campaign donations...............?

Last edited:
Do you dispute that it's because the wealthy corporate fatcats won't pay them a living wage?

But mostly the wealthy ones and the corporations.
Nope. Percentage-wise lower earners did best. AND reviews from individuals and corporations grew significantly.

Too bad they were only left in place for those who needed them the least, eh? See, thats what people were complaining about, the shell game being played. He knew full well he couldnt get unending tax cuts for the rich passed and nothing on the table for middle and low income people. So he figured out he could sunset the ones for middle and low income folks and somehow they would accept that and for some reason even applaud that the ones for the rich didnt have that same drop dead date.

So spare us.

Too bad they were only left in place for those who needed them the least, eh? See, thats what people were complaining about, the shell game being played. He knew full well he couldnt get unending tax cuts for the rich passed and nothing on the table for middle and low income people. So he figured out he could sunset the ones for middle and low income folks and somehow they would accept that and for some reason even applaud that the ones for the rich didnt have that same drop dead date.

So spare us.
Too bad the Dem controlled Congress wouldn't extend them as originally planned by the GOP. So, spare me your mindless Dem-cult drivel

Back
Top Bottom