• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rick Perry 'Taken Aback' By Tea Party Audience Cheering, "Let Patient Die"

Top Cat

He's the most tip top
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Texas Governor Rick Perry says he was "taken aback" by an incident that occurred at Monday night's Republican presidential debate after U.S. Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) was asked if a man who is sick should be left to die because he is uninsured,according to NBC News.
In addressing the situation that unfolded Perryreportedly said, "We're the party of life." HuffPost's Sam Stein reports on the incident:
What do you tell a guy who is sick, goes into a coma and doesn't have health insurance? Who pays for his coverage? "Are you saying society should just let him die?" Wolf Blitzer asked."Yeah!" several members of the crowd yelled out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...sured-health-care_n_960209.html?ncid=webmail1

Apparently Perry didn't get the memo. Many of the right wing republicans and Tea Party folks proclaim themselves the "Party of Life". They spend much of their time trying to change abortion laws and clamoring they are the protectors of sacred lives. But of course once babies are born, they no longer give a damn.

Compassionate conservatism on display here. At its finest.

Last edited:
At least Perry didn't say that. Good for him.

Ive been saying this and I will say it again...The more the teaparty and their supporters talk...the worse they look

Rick Perry 'Taken Aback' By Audience Cheering, Suggesting Society Should Let Uninsured Patient Die: Report

Apparently Perry didn't get the memo. Many of the right wing republicans and Tea Party folks proclaim themselves the "Party of Life". They spend much of their time trying to change abortion laws and clamoring they are the protectors of sacred lives. But of course once babies are born, they no longer give a damn.

The sentiment from some in the crowd is downright scary. I would be willing to bet that they would see things differently if the affected person was them or a relative. Sad.

The sentiment from some in the crowd is downright scary. I would be willing to bet that they would see things differently if the affected person was them or a relative. Sad.

The saying 'Only the strong survive' is not to be taken lightly in a far right political/economic setup, because being the 'weak' can literally mean almost certain death via starvation, no access to medical care, ect.

Last edited:
And he was not taken aback when they cheered his high number of executions?

Why is Paul being blamed for the crowds reaction? Wolf Blitzer presented a dishonest question and a false dichotomy. As Paul explained, the choice is not between a big government program and letting people die without care. There are other options to caring for those who truly cannot afford care or the irresponsible that fail to prepare for the worst (it won't be ideal for the latter and should not be).

And he was not taken aback when they cheered his high number of executions?

Why is Paul being blamed for the crowds reaction? Wolf Blitzer presented a dishonest question and a false dichotomy. As Paul explained, the choice is not between a big government program and letting people die without care. There are other options to caring for those who truly cannot afford care or the irresponsible that fail to prepare for the worst (it won't be ideal for the latter and should not be).

buncha bs.......the bigger problem here is that TEA PARTIERS shouted "let him die"...and TEA PARTIERS cheered executions. makes me wonder why anyone would be a part of that movement. has michelle bachmann produced the name of the woman who ALLEGEDLY said her daughter "got" mental retardation after the gardisil vaccine? gotta love those tea partiers, though, they are probably trying to outlaw that vaccine as i write.

paul is the most honest person running for the nomination. unfortunately, he's also bat**** crazy.

Dont be surprised at it Middleground....read closely some of the posts right on this forum from conservative teaparty supporters...some of them oooze this same callous disregard for people that have less or people in general.....its becoming its an ALL FOR ME GOP

So let me get this straight....Perry comes out against the reaction of the crowd in that particular situation and instead of saying, "yeah, he's right..that was bad on them" you turn it into some sort of diatribe against almost half of the country?

Well, hell...

Last edited:
So let me get this straight....Perry comes out against the reaction of the crowd in that particular situation and instead of saying, "yeah, he's right..that was bad on them" you turn it into some sort of diatribe against almost half of the country?

Well, hell...

So let us get this straight....a bunch of teabaggers say they think we should just let them die, so it's wrong to point out that the teabaggers think we should just let them die?

Is that why you dishonestly made up that BS about a "diatribe" against "almost half the country"?

I'm still waiting for the "Tea Bag Party" to officially denounce the behavior...

Like that would happen?

Rick Perry 'Taken Aback' By Audience Cheering, Suggesting Society Should Let Uninsured Patient Die: Report

I don't really see anything wrong with what happened in Tampa. Granted what was said wasn't exactly politically correct, but in terms of pure political philosophy I see nothing wrong with asserting that people who are sick should have to pay for their own health care. It's conservatism 101, and I don't think we should overreact to what was said in Tampa.

I'm still waiting for the "Tea Bag Party" to officially denounce the behavior...

Like that would happen?

Denouce what behavior? Who yelled what and who were they with?

There's nothing that identified anyone who yelled in the audience was: 1) A Paul supporter 2) from the Tea Party or affiliated with the same.

The larger point that's still not addressed is personal responsibility - and how that is now some evil thing. People have to make their own way - with personal choice comes personal responsibility. If someone chose poorly, planned poorly, they have to rely on others to help them and there are many who do help. Making it now everyone's responsibility to take care of someone who didn't care enough to plan and or choose properly? Those who want to help with money or services should - those who cannot or are unwilling can choose not to. I'm waiting for the Liberals to explain why I'm responsible for someone else bad decisions.

I'm still not ready to concede that I do not agree with what was said in a purely philosophical sense.

Well, hell...

I wouldn't go that far, but anyone against reform, against a mandate, against UHC, against insurance, completely free market has to address the fact there will be patients who can't afford treatment, and someone else will be paying that bill if they are treated.

I'm still not ready to concede that I do not agree with what was said in a purely philosophical sense.

But the purely philosophical too often becomes the reality we must plan for.

I wouldn't go that far, but anyone against reform, against a mandate, against UHC, against insurance, completely free market has to address the fact there will be patients who can't afford treatment, and someone else will be paying that bill if they are treated.

That completely nullifies the idea that alternatives exist. There are alternatives to creating a single payer system or overstepping legal bounds and mandating the purchase of a product.

Please don't imply that all Conservatives (or even a majority of Conservatives) agree with such a sentiment.

there would be a sudden lack of internet forum threads if people stops painting the other side with broad strokes.....
it's wrong, but it's extremely commonplace.

there would be a sudden lack of internet forum threads if people stops painting the other side with broad strokes.....
it's wrong, but it's extremely commonplace.

true that... but if you know me, you know I try to avoid that (imperfectly, I admit)

The last two Republican presidential debates have both featured the audience cheering about death. I personally think the reaction last week, when they cheered the number of executions in Texas under Perry, is far scarier.

The last two Republican presidential debates have both featured the audience cheering about death. I personally think the reaction last week, when they cheered the number of executions in Texas under Perry, is far scarier.

Funny how the press didn't bother to find out about who these audience members were and what they believed / represented....

I'm sure they were all democratic union members. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom