• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Richard Ojeda First to Run in 2020

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Some preliminary research which shows he isn't just a wannabee kook:

• Democrat not independent
  • West Virginia Senator
  • From Midwest
  • Retired US Army Officer
  • Not a "Washington Elite"
  • Someone not Clinton or Obama or Biden
  • Candidate "None of the above" is polling ahead of the field
  • Voted for Trump

Now some may balk at the fact that he voted for Trump, but how many people do you know who hate Trump now but gave him a chance back then? I would say you know quite a few of those people. He will likely appeal to moderates and independents by having that baggage and by focusing on how out of touch liberal elites are.

Richard Ojeda to launch presidential bid after losing House race

The fact that he was competitive in a highly Republican district, shows that he's got muscle. Even though he lost his race, I'm interested to see where this goes.

The themes he's focused on will resonate with many since they're similar ones to the ones Trump ran on. The exception here though, is Ojeda is a "salt of the earth" candidate instead of an elite which makes his positions more credible because he can relate with the average voter. I'll do some research on what his platform was during the race he lost to get a better sense of where he stands. Having some fresh faces will help the Democrats, but if he's going to focus on shaking its established power I expect a Bernie Sanders move to keep him out of the picture.

• West Virginia Senator
  • From Midwest
  • Voted for Trump

Now some may balk at the fact that he voted for Trump, but how many people do you know who hate Trump now but gave him a chance back then? I would say you know quite a few of those people. He will likely appeal to moderates and independents by having that baggage and by focusing on how out of touch liberal elites are.

Ojeda was easily one of my favorite candidates, and I'm pretty sore over his loss, but I don't know if I actually support a 20/20 run. I'm hoping that Sanders runs, because that's the best chance that the progressive movement has. I think that Ojeda should focus on running in West Virginia again. The problem with a presidential bid, is that while anyone glued to the progressive movement would know who he is, he still has a long way to come when it come to name-recognition on a national scale. Sanders already has that name-recognition as soon as his feet hits the ground, and is more likely to be able to contend with the fund-raising capabilities of the establishment left, and being ignored by MSM.

Richard would probably run a fantastic campaign, just as he did in WV, but unless he runs twice in a row, the cards are simply stacked too heavily against him, and the worst-case-scenario for the left is if progressives split the vote.

Ojeda was easily one of my favorite candidates, and I'm pretty sore over his loss, but I don't know if I actually support a 20/20 run. I'm hoping that Sanders runs, because that's the best chance that the progressive movement has. I think that Ojeda should focus on running in West Virginia again. The problem with a presidential bid, is that while anyone glued to the progressive movement would know who he is, he still has a long way to come when it come to name-recognition on a national scale. Sanders already has that name-recognition as soon as his feet hits the ground, and is more likely to be able to contend with the fund-raising capabilities of the establishment left, and being ignored by MSM.

Richard would probably run a fantastic campaign, just as he did in WV, but unless he runs twice in a row, the cards are simply stacked too heavily against him, and the worst-case-scenario for the left is if progressives split the vote.

But Sanders doesn't appeal to anybody but progressives. Ojeda can appeal to a wider audience. Democrats shouldn't let Bernie or Clinton run again. They are too tried and tired and not to mention old. For what it's worth. Ojeda kind of reminds me of Frank Underwood and the campaign he ran in House of Cards.

You're entitled to that opinion but how does that have anything to do with the topic you yourself started?

Depends on if sanders is a serious challenger in 2020. I really don't think he will run. He will be so old. And Sanders doesn't appeal to me at all. Looks wise or policy wise. So there?

But Sanders doesn't appeal to anybody but progressives. Ojeda can appeal to a wider audience. Democrats shouldn't let Bernie or Clinton run again. They are too tried and tired and not to mention old. For what it's worth. Ojeda kind of reminds me of Frank Underwood and the campaign he ran in House of Cards.

That is true yet appealing to 'progressives' is necessary to win the demorat primary. I understand that Bernie is old but he is also very popular with true 'progressives' while Hillary (also old) was much less so. The problem is that true 'progressives' are unlikely to vote for a major party in the general election at all if they lack an appealing 'progressive' candidate. IMHO, "Beto" O'Rourke has more to offer than any other 'progressive' candidate, including the WV wonder from the OP.

That is true yet appealing to 'progressives' is necessary to win the demorat primary. I understand that Bernie is old but he is also very popular with 'progressives' while Hillary (also old) was much less so. The problem is that true 'progressives' are unlikely to vote for a major party in the general election at all if they lack an appealing 'progressive' candidate. IMHO, "Beto" O'Rourke has more to offer than any other 'progressive' candidate, including the WV wonder from the OP.

We need Beto... not too sure about his policy positions but he is incredibly charismatic, almost beat Ted Cruz, and could almost certainly appeal to Progressives. I also like the way he called out Obama and Avenatti. Seems like a younger Bernie Sanders tbh.

Yeah, good luck with that! In the wsj they had a article on Hillary the 4.o. She will be the front runner again and, why? Dirty money of course

That is true yet appealing to 'progressives' is necessary to win the demorat primary. I understand that Bernie is old but he is also very popular with true 'progressives' while Hillary (also old) was much less so. The problem is that true 'progressives' are unlikely to vote for a major party in the general election at all if they lack an appealing 'progressive' candidate. IMHO, "Beto" O'Rourke has more to offer than any other 'progressive' candidate, including the WV wonder from the OP.

Agreed but Michelle Obama is looking to make her move as well as I assume is Oprah.

We need Beto... not too sure about his policy positions but he is incredibly charismatic, almost beat Ted Cruz, and could almost certainly appeal to Progressives. I also like the way he called out Obama and Avenatti. Seems like a younger Bernie Sanders tbh.

That is why he lost to Cruz.

That is why he lost to Cruz.

Just looked him up and the only thing I really disagree with him on is gun control. He also held out the longest on endorsing Hillary, and opposed Obama's spending bill.

Just looked him up and the only thing I really disagree with him on is gun control. He also held out the longest on endorsing Hillary, and opposed Obama's spending bill.

The combination of more "free" stuff and a "relaxed" immigration policy is a recipe for economic disaster.

• West Virginia Senator
  • From Midwest
  • Voted for Trump

I just finished doing a short read on him. I could definitely see myself voting for him if he took the Democratic Nomination for the Presidency.

I'm referring to how the DNC will likely treat someone who challenges its establishment.

He might be able to pull off a primary win off if the establishment candidates fragment the superdelegate votes so completely that Ojeda is able to win only with pledged delegates.

He might be able to pull off a primary win off if the establishment candidates fragment the superdelegate votes so completely that Ojeda is able to win only with pledged delegates.

Likely very possible. With Michelle Obama. Clinton. Biden. All signaling that they are thinking about running... or at least taking preliminary steps.

Back
Top Bottom