• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Richard Lindzen Crushes the IPCC

It's opinion. I'll stick with science.

Me too.

[h=2][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Lindzen, Richard S.[/FONT][/h] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]lindzen@wind.mit.edu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif](617) 253-2432
Bldg. 54-1720[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Meteorology, Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences[/FONT]
Professor Lindzen is a dynamical meteorologist with interests in the broad topics of climate, planetary waves, monsoon meteorology, planetary atmospheres, and hydrodynamic instability. His research involves studies of the role of the tropics in mid-latitude weather and global heat transport, the moisture budget and its role in global change, the origins of ice ages, seasonal effects in atmospheric transport, stratospheric waves, and the observational determination of climate sensitivity. He has made major contributions to the development of the current theory for the Hadley Circulation, which dominates the atmospheric transport of heat and momentum from the tropics to higher latitudes, and has advanced the understanding of the role of small scale gravity waves in producing the reversal of global temperature gradients at the mesopause, and provided accepted explanations for atmospheric tides and the quasi-biennial oscillation of the tropical stratosphere. He pioneered the study of how ozone photochemistry, radiative transfer and dynamics interact with each other. He is currently studying what determines the pole to equator temperature difference, the nonlinear equilibration of baroclinic instability and the contribution of such instabilities to global heat transport. He has also been developing a new approach to air-sea interaction in the tropics, and is actively involved in parameterizing the role of cumulus convection in heating and drying the atmosphere and in generating upper level cirrus clouds. He has developed models for the Earth's climate with specific concern for the stability of the ice caps, the sensitivity to increases in CO[SUB]2[/SUB], the origin of the 100,000 year cycle in glaciation, and the maintenance of regional variations in climate. Prof. Lindzen is a recipient of the AMS's Meisinger, and Charney Awards, the AGU's Macelwane Medal, and the Leo Huss Walin Prize. He is a member of the National Academy of Sciences, and the Norwegian Academy of Sciences and Letters, and a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the American Association for the Advancement of Sciences, the American Geophysical Union and the American Meteorological Society. He is a corresponding member of the NAS Committee on Human Rights, and has been a member of the NRC Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate and the Council of the AMS. He has also been a consultant to the Global Modeling and Simulation Group at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, and a Distinguished Visiting Scientist at California Institute of Technology's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. (Ph.D., '64, S.M., '61, A.B., '60, Harvard University):peace

Me too.

[h=2][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Lindzen, Richard S.[/FONT][/h] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]lindzen@wind.mit.edu[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif](617) 253-2432
Bldg. 54-1720[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Meteorology, Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences[/FONT]
Professor Lindzen is a dynamical meteorologist with interests in the broad topics of climate, planetary waves, monsoon meteorology, planetary atmospheres, and hydrodynamic instability. His research involves studies of the role of the tropics in mid-latitude weather and global heat transport, the moisture budget and its role in global change, the origins of ice ages, seasonal effects in atmospheric transport, stratospheric waves, and the observational determination of climate sensitivity. He has made major contributions to the development of the current theory for the Hadley Circulation, which dominates the atmospheric transport of heat and momentum from the tropics to higher latitudes, and has advanced the understanding of the role of small scale gravity waves in producing the reversal of global temperature gradients at the mesopause, and provided accepted explanations for atmospheric tides and the quasi-biennial oscillation of the tropical stratosphere. He pioneered the study of how ozone photochemistry, radiative transfer and dynamics interact with each other. He is currently studying what determines the pole to equator temperature difference, the nonlinear equilibration of baroclinic instability and the contribution of such instabilities to global heat transport. He has also been developing a new approach to air-sea interaction in the tropics, and is actively involved in parameterizing the role of cumulus convection in heating and drying the atmosphere and in generating upper level cirrus clouds. He has developed models for the Earth's climate with specific concern for the stability of the ice caps, the sensitivity to increases in CO[SUB]2[/SUB], the origin of the 100,000 year cycle in glaciation, and the maintenance of regional variations in climate. Prof. Lindzen is a recipient of the AMS's Meisinger, and Charney Awards, the AGU's Macelwane Medal, and the Leo Huss Walin Prize. He is a member of the National Academy of Sciences, and the Norwegian Academy of Sciences and Letters, and a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the American Association for the Advancement of Sciences, the American Geophysical Union and the American Meteorological Society. He is a corresponding member of the NAS Committee on Human Rights, and has been a member of the NRC Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate and the Council of the AMS. He has also been a consultant to the Global Modeling and Simulation Group at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, and a Distinguished Visiting Scientist at California Institute of Technology's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. (Ph.D., '64, S.M., '61, A.B., '60, Harvard University):peace

And if he'd put up some kind of evidence to support the statements made, maybe there'd be something to talk about.

And if he'd put up some kind of evidence to support the statements made, maybe there'd be something to talk about.

His statement was a warning shot. My guess is that the evidence is coming.

Yeah . Its not like this 'idiot' has spent his life studying this and is perhaps one the foremost authorities in the field or anything right ? What the hell does he know ? :roll:

MIT is MIT. Mann could not be hired there. That's the difference.

MIT means **** all. I despise Mann as a fraud and a liar. But based on awards and such Mann could work at MIT if he wanted to. But he gets more research funds at Penn State then he would at MIT (again going back to niche). Mann gets created for a Nobel Prize as being part of the IPCC panel and has documents showing his role.. Lindzen can only dream about it at the end of the day.
His Academic Bio and Awards.

MIT would take that in a heart beat. Problem is MIT sucks donkey balls at Earth Sciences.

Now with that said I agree with Lindzen.

Oh boy.. Defense and Intel money that goes to MIT is research in the theoretical but it doesn't top Penn State still as MIT brought in $95 million in DoD money in 2009. Penn State does applied research and brought in $173 million from DoD. In short MIT comes up with an idea that might work, Penn State makes it happen.

But in fact Penn State and Raytheon have a very close relationship considering it's Intel lab is in State College. Penn State's Applied Research Lab (much like MIT's Lincoln Lab) has a very close relationship with the US Navy and has since 1945. NSA considers Penn State a partner in training and research in cyber security.

MIT 2009 = $718 million
Penn State 2003-2012 = $765 million

We should also note that Penn State lost $35-40 million from State (PA) funding for 2012 due to budget cuts.

Either way, your example is not addressing the point. The point was research money not how much they made off of anything they turned into a profit.. You ignore research grants entirely.. IF you are changing your previous claim to one of profits now,the entire conversation is moot..

I haven't changed anything. I was just pointing out MIT gets to profit off it's research and Penn State can't as public school.

Sorry dude I'm not buying your numbers... Somethings odd about them and I think it has something to do with enrollment at each school. Your links,one is in-depth enough but, I don't buy them, and the other is just plain vague..

And as far as the rest goes. Heres the ranking of universities placing MIT at 4th and Penn St. in 54th place..

Academic Ranking of World Universities - 2013| Top 500 universities | Shanghai Ranking - 2013 | World University Ranking - 2013

And here's a PDF from 2011 from a group whose job it is keep track of this sort of thing. Page 16 ranks MIT 4th in 2009 for federal research funds. And Penn St. ranked 17th in the same area...

http://mup.asu.edu/research2011.pdf

So your numbers say one thing and these numbers say another.. The reason is, you used expenditures, and I didn't.. Penn State spent more according to your links, and that doesn't mean they received more. It just means they had to pay out that much. What you receive isn't always what you have to pay out,and with a state school expenses have a lot to do with funding..

However,the point remains the same, we were talking about research funding not how much profit is made off that research. And whether or not a public school can profit from their research is not exactly an issue. They are supposed to be non-profit. But that partnership and research money from all those businesses you implied goes towards the universities endowment,and as they make more money, that endowment grows. And that endowment is used to pay for scholarships, maintenance, new facilities and any number of other things.. To say they can't turn a profit is misleading..

Last edited:
MIT means **** all. I despise Mann as a fraud and a liar. But based on awards and such Mann could work at MIT if he wanted to. But he gets more research funds at Penn State then he would at MIT (again going back to niche). Mann gets created for a Nobel Prize as being part of the IPCC panel and has documents showing his role.. Lindzen can only dream about it at the end of the day.

MIT would take that in a heart beat. Problem is MIT sucks donkey balls at Earth Sciences.

What an astonishing post. Mann went to Penn State as a step down from the University of Virginia, his previous position. He would have no chance of being hired at MIT. The only person who credits Mann with a Nobel Prize is Mann.:peace

Nobel laureates: Penn State has as many as my tiny (Division III sports) alma mater. MIT has, well, more. UVA, Mann's previous university, also has more.

MIT -- 80
Penn State -- 1
University of Virginia -- 6
DePauw University (my tiny alma mater) -- 1

[h=3]List of Nobel laureates by university affiliation - Wikipedia, the free ...[/h]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_laureates_by_university_affiliation‎
This list of Nobel laureates by university affiliation shows the university affiliation (either as a student, alumnus or faculty) of winners of the Nobel Prize.:peace

Yeah . Its not like this 'idiot' has spent his life studying this and is perhaps one the foremost authorities in the field or anything right ? What the hell does he know ? :roll:

You outright dismiss anything an AGW proponent says, so pot, kettle, etc.

Nobel laureates: Penn State has as many as my tiny (Division III sports) alma mater. MIT has, well, more. UVA, Mann's previous university, also has more.

MIT -- 80
Penn State -- 1
University of Virginia -- 6
DePauw University (my tiny alma mater) -- 1

[h=3]List of Nobel laureates by university affiliation - Wikipedia, the free ...[/h]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_laureates_by_university_affiliation‎
This list of Nobel laureates by university affiliation shows the university affiliation (either as a student, alumnus or faculty) of winners of the Nobel Prize.:peace

De Pauw's got a beautiful campus.

Back
Top Bottom