• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Richard Dawkins' "The Root of All Evil"

oracle25 said:
Okay, than explain to me why other species don't seemed to be too concerned about the survival of the whole? If what you just said is true than it rules out the idea that they are just less evolved.

I'm not getting into this. You've shown before that you have no actual desire to understand Evolution. If you want to comprehend how it works, go research it - I point you to Google.

Which it did, because they had no moral standard.

Please. The nazi ideology is not immoral. It is a system of morals. We might condemn it because it does not fit with the ideals we currently have adapted, but that doesn't meant it is not a viable system. In the least, Hitler sponsored culture and art, something the choke of islam does not have. Let's be clear on this, I'd rather be ruled by Hitler than by a Khalifate.

Stalin followed his interpretation of the communist ideal, one he described in a 13 volumed opus. It is unfair to describe both of them as immoral, decadent folk. They based themselves on certain ideals, and acted in accordance.

The christian ethics are inferior. They ultimately lead to moral relativity and nihilism.

Mr U

HU-210 said:
The christian ethics are inferior. They ultimately lead to moral relativity and nihilism.
Spoken like a true atheist.:roll:

HU-210 said:
Please. The nazi ideology is not immoral. It is a system of morals. We might condemn it because it does not fit with the ideals we currently have adapted, but that doesn't meant it is not a viable system. In the least, Hitler sponsored culture and art, something the choke of islam does not have. Let's be clear on this, I'd rather be ruled by Hitler than by a Khalifate.

Stalin followed his interpretation of the communist ideal, one he described in a 13 volumed opus. It is unfair to describe both of them as immoral, decadent folk. They based themselves on certain ideals, and acted in accordance.
Mr U

This is what I'm talking about. Under evolutionary/atheistic principals anyone can follow any ideology they want and "who are we to say there wrong?" This is why religion is important, it provides moral framework, otherwise you end up with people who believe they can just kill anyone they want because it's "my" way of thinking, and nobody else can tell me I'm wrong,

oracle25 said:
This is what I'm talking about. Under evolutionary/atheistic principals anyone can follow any ideology they want and "who are we to say there wrong?" This is why religion is important, it provides moral framework, otherwise you end up with people who believe they can just kill anyone they want because it's "my" way of thinking, and nobody else can tell me I'm wrong,

But how do you respond to those that have a moral framework and are not religious?

Engimo said:
But how do you respond to those that have a moral framework and are not religious?

I would say that they have chosen one ideology over another. But since your definition of "moral framework" is no doubt different than mine, I would say it depends on what you mean by that.

oracle25 said:
I would say that they have chosen one ideology over another. But since your definition of "moral framework" is no doubt different than mine, I would say it depends on what you mean by that.

So then religion is not a necessary prerequisite for being a moral person?

Engimo said:
So then religion is not a necessary prerequisite for being a moral person?
No... as that would be human conscience.

Apostle13 said:
No... as that would be human conscience.

My point exactly. The idea that was being pushed was that atheists cannot be moral people because they don't have a religion telling them what is good and bad, which is a very scary and frankly untrue statement.

Engimo said:
My point exactly. The idea that was being pushed was that atheists cannot be moral people because they don't have a religion telling them what is good and bad, which is a very scary and frankly untrue statement.
Well to be honest I'm making blind comments to the effect I've not yet taken the time to review/download the link... But yes, moral conscience is instilled in all mankind. Its the ol' Conscience be our guide. Problem is when the conscience is broken/violated, again, and again, the moral conviction dissipates, even to where it can to the individual be justified as being alright behavior.
The bible speaks to this as one having a seared conscience. A lack of conviction(s).
Having said that I know of many non-religious persons that are moral and productive citizens.
Still... It is only God that knows the heart.
...And that speaks to the Christian and the non.

Spoken like a true atheist.

Glad to be of service. It pleases me that you have chosen not to debate my points.

This is what I'm talking about. Under evolutionary/atheistic principals anyone can follow any ideology they want and "who are we to say there wrong?"

Yes. They call it freedom.

This is why religion is important, it provides moral framework,

Moral framework? Well, I'll be the happy hammer to destroy the canvas and restore the destruction/creation circle so important to art and beauty.

otherwise you end up with people who believe they can just kill anyone they want because it's "my" way of thinking,

Ah, because killing is so wrong, isn't it? Don't we all want to be ripped up by wolves so we don't have to cast blame? Or will we than blame the police on not protecting us? Hmm...

and nobody else can tell me I'm wrong,

I don't need anyone to tell me I'm wrong. I just want to be happy..

Mr U

Anyone else watched the Dawkins programmes hosted from page one of this thread ?
The scene in the holy City is particularly disturbing.
What a cesspool of religious insanity that place is.
Are not human sometimes thee most stupid creatures on the planet ?

oracle25 said:

You mean like Christians torturing and slaughtering those they called witches? Or the Islamic extremists, who are following their faith as they see it, killing anyone who doesn't agree with them and do what they want?

Back
Top Bottom