• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Richard Bucket is finally free from Hyacinth Bouquet, rest in peace Clive Swift

Peter King

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
clive-swift-t.jpg

Famous from being the Bucket woman's tortured hubby, but also known from Midsomer murders, doctor Who, Inspector Morse and many many more. His career spanned 6 decades, his first TV part coming in 1961 and his last acting job was in 2017.

He said that being married to Hyacinth was like being in the armed forces, you just follow orders, every move is worked out for you and meals appear on time.

He played his part opposite Patricia Routledge the overbearing "lady of the house" who acted like she was virtually royalty when she really came from a common background and loved to sing even though she was very very bad at singing. Her poor neighbor was subjected to her singing and was often close to a nervous breakdown, just like his sister when she was invited to the Bouquet residence.

She might have been the star but the comedic brilliance came from the solid but boring straight guy besides Hyacinth. He was the down to earth person who suffered the woman who thought she was really high class and dragged Richard through all her desperate attempts at being superior to all other people.

Goodbye Richard Bucket/Clive Swift, you brought us many hours of laughter.

He was, indeed, hilarious and gifted. And smart enough to never have risked the shine on his star by trying too hard to make it on this side of the pond.

RIP, old boy.

He was, indeed, hilarious and gifted. And smart enough to never have risked the shine on his star by trying too hard to make it on this side of the pond.

RIP, old boy.

He was indeed happy I think with the roles he got in the UK. What I still remember fondly is when he was on Doctor Who, on the episode with Kylie Minogue, he was brilliant as a guide for aliens on earth and he was left on earth with a credit card with no limit. He got his degree in earth history from Mrs. Golightly's Happy Travelling University and Dry Cleaners, which made it doubly funny IMHO.

Side note, Voyage of the Damned was one hell of a Who Xmas special.

He was indeed happy I think with the roles he got in the UK. What I still remember fondly is when he was on Doctor Who, on the episode with Kylie Minogue, he was brilliant as a guide for aliens on earth and he was left on earth with a credit card with no limit. He got his degree in earth history from Mrs. Golightly's Happy Travelling University and Dry Cleaners, which made it doubly funny IMHO.

Side note, Voyage of the Damned was one hell of a Who Xmas special.

IIRC, he was also in Excalibur, along with many others who are household names today.

That said, the only Dr. Who I ever liked was Tom Baker. Tennat did it justice, but just didn't have that 'something'.

Back
Top Bottom