• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rich people prepare to pay more taxes

Do we feel sorry for rich people?

• Yes, i feel sorry for rich people

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Hell no, let the rich pay their fair share

Votes: 37 92.5%

• Total voters
You should look at those countries that have found a better way for their citizens. Sharing, dividing, saving time, money, and providing unity. You ask anyone who has this better quality of life overseas if they'd trade it with us, it's a hell no, they're shocked at how we run our social welfare.

We are too young to claim to know it all, yet we try. America is just an infant with much to learn. Do you think the people of this country feel united? Feel like most have a good quality of life? Hell, feel happy? We've failed our society, regardless if you're blue, red, or in between. If our citizens felt they had a good quality of life we wouldn't be seeing this divide, this violence, nor this amount of death.
Compare immigration/emmigration numbers; are more people from those utopian countries coming here or are more Americans moving there?

BS! Well over half this country wants a public option for health care.

That 'Well over half this country wants a public option for health care' immediately makes it a sound public policy? I remain skeptical on that public policy proposal.

Well over half this country wants a living wage.

That 'Well over half this country wants a living wage.' immediately makes it a sound public policy? I remain skeptical on that public policy proposal.

Those cuts Trump made for business poison our air and water. Businesses want those, not people.

This is factually incorrect.
Below is the percentage point decline for each bracket. Also note that $5,650 increase in the standard deduction.

2018vs2017rates.jpg

Distributional Analysis of the Conference Agreement for the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act | Full Report | Tax Policy Center

As anyone who can read a table can see that household incomes between $82,500.00 and $157,500 received the created reduction in tax burden, and that range defines the middle class, does it not?

Holding the public hostage with the threat of job deterioration is cruel.

What you call 'job deterioration' is when a middle class job, the middle class pay for all of the other benefits, are shipped off shore by corporations, because the US has overburdened burdened corporations with 'feel good' punitive taxes. The best scenario was what we had before COVID: Historically low unemployment, historically high employment participation. This is what we need to make our objective, our goal. Raising taxes does not further the US' achievement of that goal.

You may not care for the neighborhood, as long as you live in a great house and have what you need, but in my opinion, you should. You should care about your community, your neighbors, and pitch in for those who are ill and or cannot do their part.

What in my post causes you to read in that I, and other conservatives, do not 'not care for the neighborhood'? That conservatives do not sign up to your wealth redistribution from those who earn it distributed to those who have not?

This is why this country is torn in two. Individualism, nationalism, and a fear of the government that we ourselves elect. The distrust is so thick, you can't see through it.

Mostly caused by the decades long practice of intersectional politics, the politics of division by the Democrats. You really thought that all their 'collecting' of minorities was because of empathy? No, it was all politically motivated, motivated to increase tribalism and 'divide and conquer' for their gaining political power.

But, I don't see it happening even if the whole country wants it because we are capitalist through and through and our for-profit healthcare profiteers will lobby against it til their nose bleeds. So yes, I am planning to leave this country for something I feel is better. Something more humane.

I'll just wish you 'bon voyage'.

I'm lucky to be able to do so, some are not so lucky. But telling someone they can get out if they don't like it will also apply to you. Good luck with the next four years.

Actually, the next 2 years. Depends on how much leftist bad public policy the Harris / BIden administration can push through, i.e. convince their own party moderates to sign up for.

When you factor in our insurance costs, education costs, we pay the same or more. Our services are comparable or worse. Our health is worse. Our production is worse. Our quality of life lags behind those countries that have a social democracy. Being an individualist in a nationalist society leaves those who have and a lot that has not. Our only path like this is south, like South American countries.

I'm not interested in becoming a 3rd world country, and the quality of life that comes from sharing our social needs would be well worth it. I have relatives in Sweden and they would not trade it. The quality of their lives is much better.

All I hear here is, I work hard and will not share. I want my stuff. Why should I care about others, they can get their own stuff. Etc.
We need to see the forest beyond the trees.
Sweden? Here are some pesky facts for you.

First of all, the population of Sweden is less than 3% of the US. Second, their personal income tax is 57.2% (the US is 37%) and gas costs $6.62 per gallon. The cost of living is also 11.26% higher than the US.

List of Countries by Personal Income Tax Rate (tradingeconomics.com)
Cost of Living in Sweden. Prices in Sweden. Updated Jan 2021 (numbeo.com)

First of all, the population of Sweden is less than 3% of the US. Second, their personal income tax is 57.2% (the US is 37%) and gas costs $6.62 per gallon. The cost of living is also 11.26% higher than the US.

Further, Sweden is essentially a monoculture and not anything that resembles any sort of diversity of cultures such as the US is.
The mind numbing assumption is that a Sweden type monoculture solution would fit and be accepted by a far more diverse cultures such as you find in the US.
(and it's a good thing that it is accepted as it is)

Are you really sure you want to give up all that for this utopian and imaginary (rainbow an unicorns) ideal that will most likely not be reached?

US critics say that Swedes pay 56 percent — so the government takes over half of your money. This is not true — 56 percent is the marginal tax rate, i.e. what those high earners pay on income over a certain amount in both state and local taxes, and it's fair.

Only 15 percent of Swedes pay tax at this rate. The average Swede pays less than 27 percent of his or her income.

Swedish taxes don't take away your freedom, it gives you more freedom to do what you want.

and you get, education, paid leave for both parents, child care, health care, no property tax, no paperwork tax maze and money back instead of deductions, free travel, parental leave, a stipend for student housing, great public transport (you don't need a car), a living wage, and if you want to change careers paid leave to go back to school or start a business.

US critics say that Swedes pay 56 percent — so the government takes over half of your money. This is not true — 56 percent is the marginal tax rate, i.e. what those high earners pay on income over a certain amount in both state and local taxes, and it's fair.

Only 15 percent of Swedes pay tax at this rate. The average Swede pays less than 27 percent of his or her income.

Swedish taxes don't take away your freedom, it gives you more freedom to do what you want.

and you get, education, paid leave for both parents, child care, health care, no property tax, no paperwork tax maze and money back instead of deductions, free travel, parental leave, a stipend for student housing, great public transport (you don't need a car), a living wage, and if you want to change careers paid leave to go back to school or start a business.
We have 6x Sweden's total population on welfare. We have more illegal aliens in this country working for cash and not paying any taxes than you have people in Sweden. That is just for starters. The left is trying to double those numbers.

That 'Well over half this country wants a public option for health care' immediately makes it a sound public policy? I remain skeptical on that public policy proposal.

That 'Well over half this country wants a living wage.' immediately makes it a sound public policy? I remain skeptical on that public policy proposal.

This is factually incorrect.

As anyone who can read a table can see that household incomes between $82,500.00 and $157,500 received the created reduction in tax burden, and that range defines the middle class, does it not?

What you call 'job deterioration' is when a middle class job, the middle class pay for all of the other benefits, are shipped off shore by corporations, because the US has overburdened burdened corporations with 'feel good' punitive taxes. The best scenario was what we had before COVID: Historically low unemployment, historically high employment participation. This is what we need to make our objective, our goal. Raising taxes does not further the US' achievement of that goal.

What in my post causes you to read in that I, and other conservatives, do not 'not care for the neighborhood'? That conservatives do not sign up to your wealth redistribution from those who earn it distributed to those who have not?

Mostly caused by the decades long practice of intersectional politics, the politics of division by the Democrats. You really thought that all their 'collecting' of minorities was because of empathy? No, it was all politically motivated, motivated to increase tribalism and 'divide and conquer' for their gaining political power.

I'll just wish you 'bon voyage'.

Actually, the next 2 years. Depends on how much leftist bad public policy the Harris / BIden administration can push through, i.e. convince their own party moderates to sign up for.

It's no wonder you feel the way you do, you haven't a clue. I could post a ton of links to the cuts he's made from allowing leakage from industrial plants into our waterways to opening up logging in our national parks but you should know what your president is actually doing instead of listening to his fantasy land bs. It's easy to find out, give it a try. It's not a secret.

You call the Dems divisive because they called out the truth, you wouldn't know the truth if it hit you in the ass. Trump's little Capital intrusion just proved them right, and those cops taking selfies and letting them in just proved those summer protestors' correct. Law and order, just another lie, you loot we shoot? Only if you're black. That's pretty obvious now. The corruption sure runs deep.

Trump lies constantly, blatantly and you're mad at whoever doesn't believe it because he told you to be. As he's stated, he doesn't like anyone who doesn't like him. Sounds like a child.

We have lost more people to covid than all the wars we've had, yet when asked to help defeat the enemy Trump and his loons instead aided it and helped it kill Americans. Four people just tested positive because house republicans refused to wear a piece of cloth. Pathetic.

Patriots? BS.

Who in their right mind would depend on you or Trump for anything. They'd have to be stupid as hell.

I'd definitely take a raise in taxes to get rid of that freak. I'd pay right now, upfront.

I'm just guessing that wish you gave me is just another lie. 😉 Getting used to it.

We have 6x Sweden's total population on welfare. We have more illegal aliens in this country working for cash and not paying any taxes than you have people in Sweden. That is just for starters. The left is trying to double those numbers.
So, the greatest country on earth can't come up with something? It doesn't have to model Sweden, it could be our own. You sure give a lot of excuses. Maybe you think we just aren't that great?

They also have a 38.42% Social Security Tax and a 25% Federal Sales tax.

When you include the fact that the average American pays over $1500 a month for health care (insurance premiums, deductibles and co-pays} that often is not even very good while earning roughly $50k, your math falls apart.

The 18% or so that comes out of their pocket for HC is essentially a tax. It needs to be added to the total US tax bill, if we want to compare to Sweden or other full service countries like Germany, Canada etc.

Last edited:
It's no wonder you feel the way you do, you haven't a clue. I could post a ton of links to the cuts he's made from allowing leakage from industrial plants into our waterways to opening up logging in our national parks but you should know what your president is actually doing instead of listening to his fantasy land bs. It's easy to find out, give it a try. It's not a secret.

You call the Dems divisive because they called out the truth, you wouldn't know the truth if it hit you in the ass. Trump's little Capital intrusion just proved them right, and those cops taking selfies and letting them in just proved those summer protestors' correct. Law and order, just another lie, you loot we shoot? Only if you're black. That's pretty obvious now. The corruption sure runs deep.

Trump lies constantly, blatantly and you're mad at whoever doesn't believe it because he told you to be. As he's stated, he doesn't like anyone who doesn't like him. Sounds like a child.

We have lost more people to covid than all the wars we've had, yet when asked to help defeat the enemy Trump and his loons instead aided it and helped it kill Americans. Four people just tested positive because house republicans refused to wear a piece of cloth. Pathetic.

Patriots? BS.

Who in their right mind would depend on you or Trump for anything. They'd have to be stupid as hell.

I'd definitely take a raise in taxes to get rid of that freak. I'd pay right now, upfront.

I'm just guessing that wish you gave me is just another lie. 😉 Getting used to it.
Your rant is nothing but a diversion from the topic that was being discussed. I guess you've got nothing on topic.

This thread is more evidence of just how effective right wing propaganda is!

This thread is more evidence of just how effective right wing propaganda is!
I love seeing people without pots to piss in argue in behalf of million and billionaires who constantly steal their pot. I've seen people who literally earn slave wages argue against things like increased wages. It's the damnedest thing.

So, the greatest country on earth can't come up with something? It doesn't have to model Sweden, it could be our own. You sure give a lot of excuses. Maybe you think we just aren't that great?
The answer is simple. Government is the problem not the solution. When our political leaders are paid 1/4 of billion dollars for speeches by big business it is not to hear what they have to say but do what big business wants. When all our candidates from the 2 parties are funded almost entirely by those same businesses and their rich and powerful owners only fools believe they work for us not them. When most if not all of our media is owned by these same rich and powerful who do you think they will support with their media and who do you think they will destroy with it? Only absolute idiots can't see through this charade. I work the polls every year to make sure everyone's vote is counted. This year most of the votes went to special location and people that are supposed to see what is being counted were refused the right to watch. I help people legally immigrate to this country. I help people with disabilities work their way through the red tape that puts 3rd generation welfare recipient ahead of the hard working taxpayers whose body gives out before they can retire. You assume a lot and seem to know little.

The answer is simple. Government is the problem not the solution. When our political leaders are paid 1/4 of billion dollars for speeches by big business it is not to hear what they have to say but do what big business wants. When all our candidates from the 2 parties are funded almost entirely by those same businesses and their rich and powerful owners only fools believe they work for us not them. When most if not all of our media is owned by these same rich and powerful who do you think they will support with their media and who do you think they will destroy with it? Only absolute idiots can't see through this charade. I work the polls every year to make sure everyone's vote is counted. This year most of the votes went to special location and people that are supposed to see what is being counted were refused the right to watch. I help people legally immigrate to this country. I help people with disabilities work their way through the red tape that puts 3rd generation welfare recipient ahead of the hard working taxpayers whose body gives out before they can retire. You assume a lot and seem to know little.
All of those people you mention would be helped by a non-profit healthcare system. Election reform. A living wage.
We are going to have those who cannot work within our system, those who get ill without healthcare, and those who need assistance. We do now. Why not make it cheaper, and more effective for all of us?

I'm going to refrain from the fraud comment. I'm sick of that crap.

Be prepared to have less money to tax.

There will not be less... companies are claiming $Billions and $10's of Billion of Profit... many claim $Billions every 3 months. They need to pay their taxes...
Guaranteed, when they are required to pay taxes.. they will increase employee wages and benefits, because they'd rather use that expense to offset paying the government tax money... so they'd do exactly what was done that built this country during the era of Union Labor.
Union Labor may be a welcomed addition, when these companies find out. They can pay employees, which improve production quality and provide benefits which makes stable those who currently play job jumping games. They know paying people.. they get to control that aspect of money, because they resent the government having the say in how those dollars are spent... So.. they will be contented with being able to write off labor expense and benefits packages.
Besides ... they know the more people earn.. the more people spend.

The Era of Cheap Labor will die out with White Nationalism... That's what the Trump Gangs are so afraid of... They detest "economic equilibrium among the masses"... but they can't stop the change that will bring equity to the working class.

SomeCents. let's hope that the House and Senate members pass modest spending bills.

We don't need lavish spending during the next two to four years.
There is will be very expansive spending ... you can't prosper through lack of investments

All of those people you mention would be helped by a non-profit healthcare system. Election reform. A living wage.
We are going to have those who cannot work within our system, those who get ill without healthcare, and those who need assistance. We do now. Why not make it cheaper, and more effective for all of us?

I'm going to refrain from the fraud comment. I'm sick of that crap.
As you well know the left keep promising single payer but even when they had the means to pass it they did not. It seems the insurance companies fund the democratic party well enough to keep that from happening. Their idea of health care coverage for everyone was fining those already struggling to afford health care. The only beneficiaries of Obama care was the insurance companies as people were forced to buy insurance. I am willing to bet the insurance companies fund both parties making sure what they want gets done just like the big banks. Corruption is all through our government from the local level and getting worse as you move up the ladder. All the election lies and fraud belong in another topic. The sad part is most of the election fraud will never see the light of day.

SomeCents. let's hope that the House and Senate members pass modest spending bills.

We don't need lavish spending during the next two to four years.
I think we should spend like crazy now that I am retired. Just keep the checks coming and had the bill to our children.

I think we should spend like crazy now that I am retired. Just keep the checks coming and had the bill to our children.
Austerity simply does not work... We need massive investment to Build New and Rebuild, in doing so we generate means that Americans can produce a high % of what we consume and if we are paid well, we consume well, and that translates into higher tax revenue by volume which helps to pay down debt.
Austerity leaves everything to decline and nothing to grow.... Austerity has never worked.
With Federal Investments, We have a Fed Chairman to help manage the cost of capital and we invest to promote means for economics that can function on all levels.

I think many people don't know the full history of Federal Investment, most companies people work for, pursue vigrously both federal contracts and federal aid by many means... we have to extend that into the average communities citizens lives.
We have need to do massive community renewals, in Rural, Country, Towns, Moderate Sized Cities and Major Metro's, We have massive infrastructure need, for all out Utilities services; we have sewer systems in some areas that are 100yrs old + and electrical grid work, that needs to transition from wooden poles to underground cables and those need to be buried in quality conduit and/or encased channels with strategic access points. We need to invest in Medical Students, and that has to translate into supporting by investment to help them set up "imaging and other testing centers" in Rural, Country, Towns, Moderate Sized Cities and Major Metro's.
Various Factories have to re-model their floor operations (We saw that happen with the auto industry), it has to happen within the food and meat processing industry.
Schools require upgrades to security feature with the right type of fencing and access security check point.

Fact is the Gold Owned by the United States is vastly larger than any nation... therefore, even though our currency is not backed by Gold, the holding of such vast volumes allows us room to create the debt necessary to build and rebuild without inflation dragging us down. It's been an "unspoken offset" since the days we came off the Gold Standards.
World's Gold Reserves - Top 7
1. United States - 8,133 tonnes - $373,430,444,426
2. Germany - 3,369 tonnes - $154,711,817,616
3. IMF - 2,814 tonnes - $129,198,164,458
4. Italy - 2,451 tonnes - $112,568,606,829
5. France - 2,436 tonnes - $111,843,187,142
6. Russia - 2,168 tonnes - $99,552,373,843
7. China - 1,885 tonnes - $86,568,279,703

How Governments Reduce the National Debt

The Bottom Line
Many people believe that much of U.S. debt is owed to foreign countries like China and Japan. The truth is, most of it is owed to Social Security and pension funds. This means U.S. citizens, through their retirement money, own most of the national debt.

U.S. national debt is the sum of these two federal debt categories:
  • Public debt (held by other countries, the Federal Reserve, mutual funds, and other entities and individuals)
  • Intragovernmental holdings (held by Social Security, Military Retirement Fund, Medicare, and other retirement funds)
end quote

We need to remove the cap on Social Security Contribution, but still manage the payout, the wealthy must pay more, their wealth is derived from what people do.

America grew the fastest and strongest during time with Corporate Taxes were higher.

Corporate tax rates and economic growth since 1947

When you include the fact that the average American pays over $1500 a month for health care (insurance premiums, deductibles and co-pays} that often is not even very good while earning roughly $50k, your math falls apart.

The 18% or so that comes out of their pocket for HC is essentially a tax. It needs to be added to the total US tax bill, if we want to compare to Sweden or other full service countries like Germany, Canada etc.
Not even close. The Average American pays $452 a month. In most cases much or all of that is paid by the employeer.

If you want the US to be in line with countries like Germany and Canada, we need to be like Germany and Canada. If you are not a health card holder, the only care you get is what you pay for out of pocket up front. No one who is not paying into the system can use it. We will have to tell all those 10s of millions of illegals and uninsured to piss off.

America grew the fastest and strongest during time with Corporate Taxes were higher.

Corporate tax rates and economic growth since 1947
As for your evidence for corporate tax and economic growth... I would like to point you to this line from your report. "The slope of the trend line is upward, and the estimated correlation between the two series is +0.167" A correlation of +0.167 is way below anything you would reasonably even call correlation. Generally, you want the correlation coefficient to be greater than .7 for strong correlation or between .5 and .7 for moderate correlation. Once you start getting down to below .2 then you just don't have any correlation and that was the better correlation, the other one was like .067. If there was a comment section this thing would have been destroyed. This is putting a flower on a pile of dog feces and hoping no one notices.

Furthermore, capital is simply more mobile than it was in the 70's and 80's, and that is problematic because corporations were already incredibly good at avoiding taxes in the 70's and 80's. In 1986 the marginal rate went down to 40% from 1985's 46%, and corporate tax revenues went up by $2 billion (3%). The following year the top marginal rate dropped to 34% and corporate tax revenues went up by $20 billion (33%). The fact is that corporate tax revenues have never been a great way to tax anyone and they are worse today than ever before as taxes are so removed from revenues. We should also add that high corporate tax rates creates oligopoly pressure on the market. Companies who are good at avoiding taxes have a competitive advantage over smaller innovative companies and the last thing we want is good efficient providers of value being gobbled up by gigantic companies who are less innovative but have better capital mobility.

Also, at this point there is a vast section of the equity market that is retirement plans. Total US retirement assets reached $29 trillion in 2019 while the US equity market was $28 trillion. Are we going to pretend that we are not just inefficiently taxing retirement assets when we should be taxing the wealthy owners?

I am all for higher taxes on the wealthy, but corporations are proxies for owners. The only reason that corporations should ever be taxed is to remove their tax haven status for owners. If we could somehow force corporations to dividend out all of their earnings there would be no need to tax them and arguably corporate taxation is heading past its usefulness. Many have suggested, myself among them, that increases to the capital gains rates for securities and only taxing retained earnings would work better at this point.

I am all for higher taxes. Actually, I am for a UBI and I really don't care if the income tax is much less progressive after UBI, but higher taxes work until we can get a UBI. However, I am not really a fan of higher corporate taxes, I think they are largely just a political stunt and nothing more.

Last edited:
Not even close. The Average American pays $452 a month. In most cases much or all of that is paid by the employeer.

If you want the US to be in line with countries like Germany and Canada, we need to be like Germany and Canada. If you are not a health card holder, the only care you get is what you pay for out of pocket up front. No one who is not paying into the system can use it. We will have to tell all those 10s of millions of illegals and uninsured to piss off.
Money is fungible. While I agree the average person didn't spend $1,500 per month, there is no doubt that healthcare is a lot more expensive than $452 per month. In 2019 the U.S. spent $3.8 trillion ($11,582 per person). In case you are wondering that is $1,241 per month per person over the age of 18, or about $1,500 per month per person over the age of 21, if those between 18 and 20 pay nothing. Or we could break it by worker and get $24,200 per US worker. At any rate, the economic sacrifices made per person for healthcare in the U.S. are crazy high.

I assure you that employers realize the cost of hiring a worker and when they are making decisions about hiring workers the amount that they contribute is factored into an employee's compensation. Employers don't look at the amount of money that you get on your paycheck, they look at the total cost of your employment to them. How can people be both erroneous in their assertion that tax increases all get passed to consumers and then pretend that healthcare costs don't get passed to employees. You figure if they were at least consistent they would have been right one of the two times, instead they are just conveniently wrong on both counts.

There will not be less... companies are claiming $Billions and $10's of Billion of Profit... many claim $Billions every 3 months. They need to pay their taxes...
Guaranteed, when they are required to pay taxes.. they will increase employee wages and benefits, because they'd rather use that expense to offset paying the government tax money... so they'd do exactly what was done that built this country during the era of Union Labor.
Union Labor may be a welcomed addition, when these companies find out. They can pay employees, which improve production quality and provide benefits which makes stable those who currently play job jumping games. They know paying people.. they get to control that aspect of money, because they resent the government having the say in how those dollars are spent... So.. they will be contented with being able to write off labor expense and benefits packages.
Besides ... they know the more people earn.. the more people spend.

The Era of Cheap Labor will die out with White Nationalism... That's what the Trump Gangs are so afraid of... They detest "economic equilibrium among the masses"... but they can't stop the change that will bring equity to the working class.
You really don't have a clue. Corporations will avoid taxes the way they always have. They will invest in equipment, expansion, stock buy backs and options, accelerated depreciation, relocating to a more tax friendly country or any of another hundred tax loopholes. Beyond that, anyone who is foolish enough to think that increasing taxes will cause corporation to give more pay and benefits to workers is a moron.

Unions suffer in times of tax increases. The first thing corporations cut is payroll. Increasing taxes always causes higher unemployment numbers. The number one rule in economics is supply and demand. Illegal immigrants have already flooded the unskilled and semi-skilled markets. Higher unemployment will exasperate it. Corporate finances always works the same. Those in control take care of themselves first, stock holders second, key employees third and if anything is left it goes to the workers. They will tell them due to economic downturns there will be on or minimal. Because the unemployment rate is high and jobs are scarce, the workers have no choice but accept it.

Your idea that all corporations are making big profits is also based on ignorance. The finances of corporations closely resemble the finances of American people. 5% make most of the profits. Another 15% make decent profits. Much of the rest either barely get by or lose money. Some in that later group will go under due to a tax increase. Politicians bow and bend over for the top 5%. Because corporations like Amazon employ 900,000 tax paying employees and make big donations to political campaigns.

Back
Top Bottom