• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rich people prepare to pay more taxes

Do we feel sorry for rich people?

• Yes, i feel sorry for rich people

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Hell no, let the rich pay their fair share

Votes: 37 92.5%

• Total voters

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Do we feel sorry for rich people? Since Joe and a democratic house and senate are sure to raise taxes that rich people pay.

trump cut taxes for the rich. A rich man making a million dollars a year saw $69,900 dollars in tax savings every year.

Do we feel sorry for rich people? Since Joe and a democratic house and senate are sure to raise taxes that rich people pay.

trump cut taxes for the rich. A rich man making a million dollars a year saw $69,900 dollars in tax savings every year.
And my family, who made about 20% of that (I'm not complaining, I married well) paid $12,425 more than prior to the tax cut. It's not about what you pay, it's about what you have left.

Cant get that thru the filibuster

I feel sorry for them, but I think they are always prepared to pay more taxes, and have lots of opportunities to make the money back. Many of them run businesses, so they can raise prices, lay off workers, or offshore costs to increase profit. They will get richer, govt will have money to buy votes with, and those of us in the middle will just have to deal with inflation and stagnation as we always do.

Really? They cant filibuster that vote too?
The Rules of the Senate are not subject to filibusters. That's how the D's got some of President Obama's cabinet members and judicial appointments through. The R's changed it for SCOTUS nominations.

The Rules of the Senate are not subject to filibusters. That's how the D's got some of President Obama's cabinet members and judicial appointments through. The R's changed it for SCOTUS nominations.
Did not know that. It's a dangerous move but they could do it. The problem is Manchin would not go along with it

Did not know that. It's a dangerous move but they could do it. The problem is Manchin would not go along with it
You may be right, but there are 20 R senate seats up in 2022, including Ron Johnson in WI and an open seat in PA. Keep your fingers crossed.

You may be right, but there are 20 R senate seats up in 2022, including Ron Johnson in WI and an open seat in PA. Keep your fingers crossed.
I am actually a fan of divided government. Force them to work together

Not that I disagree, but how's that been working out over the last 30 years?
We remain the most powerful nation on earth that everyone wants to come to.

We have lots of problems but it could be worse

We remain the most powerful nation on earth that everyone wants to come to.

We have lots of problems but it could be worse
I used to agree with your statement. I feel we can still claim to be the strongest nation in the world militarily, but the loss of our moral high ground diminishes our power. We do still have lots of problems, but I'd suggest a number of them could be solved with undivided government that divided government hasn't been able to address.

I used to agree with your statement. I feel we can still claim to be the strongest nation in the world militarily, but the loss of our moral high ground diminishes our power. We do still have lots of problems, but I'd suggest a number of them could be solved with undivided government that divided government hasn't been able to address.
We lost the moral high decades ago.

When the swamp creatures raise taxes on the rich, they are only hurting the middle class and poor. It's not rocket science. When you raise taxes on the rich, the rich simply hide a large portion of their wealth in tax shelters, rather then investing it in a way that creates jobs.

Please define “rich”

Before I retired between my wife and I we were 95th percentile income wise, though in suburban Long Island that make you upper middle class and not rich by any stretch.

Under Trump my taxes went up $8,000 in 2019.

Rich people got their unnecessary tax cuts that didn't stimulate the economy in 2020.

It's time for rich people to pay higher taxes in order to minimize the Deficit.

I think everyone needs to be prepared to pay more, a lot more, in taxes.

SomeCents. let's hope that the House and Senate members pass modest spending bills.

We don't need lavish spending during the next two to four years.

Back
Top Bottom