• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

RIAA Wants Gov. to Delete Your Illegal Downloads

Travelsonic

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
RIAA Wants Gov. to Delete Your Illegal Downloads

The Electronic Frontier Foundation reports that both organizations--along with a few others--want to take the file-monitoring process a huge step further by infiltrating consumer PCs and deleting the infringing content off their hard drives. How? Through "anti-infringement" spyware developed and enforced by the government......

"There are several technologies and methods that can be used by network administrators and providers...these include [consumer] tools for managing copyright infringement from the home (based on tools used to protect consumers from viruses and malware)," reads a caption in a joint comment (pdf) filed by the MPAA and RIAA.

The joint comment goes on to suggest other means of copyright enforcement including a mandatory scan on all internet connections to interdict transfers of illegal content, physical searches at all borders of personal media players, laptops, and USB sticks. There's even an indication that the parties want to enforce international bullying to force other countries to put similar policies in place.

But there's more. The comment said that the copyright holders want the FBI and Department of Homeland Security
to fork over agents--at the taxpayer's expense--so that they can guard the media prior to distribution.

[MORE AT LINK]

Has the RIAA/MPAA gone nuts enough yet?

Oh I would love to see proper enforcement of this. Good luck discovering which files are infringed and which ones are properly licensed.

Ha unrealistic goal. Although I think my illegal vs. legal downloads have shifted towards having more legal than illegal ones now.

I like the IRA, but not the RIAA :D

It's a fantasy scenario. There are so many privacy laws this would break it's incredible. The RIAA doesnt seem to be getting the hint though; targeting your customers is NOT a good business model.

Fair enough, as long as they receive no legal protection for the error of deleting legal downloads or for compromising the user's pc/personal information in anyway whatsoever. Class action law suits, baby.

If I were going to argue against privacy laws, I would say it would be like repossession of any stolen item. They could decide spyware data constitutes effective evidence and a develop seperate kind of search warrant suitable for the demands of the digital world.

Last edited:
Fair enough, as long as they receive no legal protection for error.

If I were going to argue against privacy laws, I would say it would be like repossession of any stolen item.
Except downloading music is not a stolen item, it is copied data. There is a difference

Except downloading music is not a stolen item, it is copied data. There is a difference

Until a legislature/court defines otherwise.

Last edited:
This is something the Government does not want to get involved with.

The RIAA sued a single mom because it is losing the war and it takes every morsel it can get. It's called being desperate.

The Government sides too much with the RIAA, then hell hath no fury like the younger more hacker-oriented generation when given another, challenging final boss.

Just because its not an original doesn't mean its not stolen. If it is defined as property, which this is, then taking a copy without owner's consent of sale is theft.

Of course, thoughts are worthless. Ideas are worthless. If they aren't a "thing" then, well, it's not a "thing." [/sarcasm]

Just because its not an original doesn't mean its not stolen.

The fact that it was not taken and removed from the original owner's posession, but instead duplicated does. Look up Dowling v. U.S and the Grokster trial.

That, and the fact that piracy and theft are handled in completely separate bodies of laws should say something.

Back
Top Bottom