• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rheumatoid arthritis and yoga

Lovebug

Be humble and kind
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I was diagnosed years ago, but now symptoms are ever increasing. I do stretching exercises, hikes, long walks on a daily basis. I used to run, but can't anymore. Swimming was an option some time ago, but since we moved it isn't anymore. Just wondering, is anyone else afflicted, have you tried yoga with any success?

Not in my experience, any more than stretching.

My experience:
My partner has had RA for about a year, and we tried a lot of things.

I was diagnosed years ago, but now symptoms are ever increasing. I do stretching exercises, hikes, long walks on a daily basis. I used to run, but can't anymore. Swimming was an option some time ago, but since we moved it isn't anymore. Just wondering, is anyone else afflicted, have you tried yoga with any success?
My wife has R/A. She's been in remission for four years, but now it's coming back. She'll probably resume the biologics she took in the early 2-10's.

I'm sorry, LoveB. RA is nasty stuff. You certainly have my sympathies on that.

I do yoga daily for my back. I used to have back problems from sitting in an office for so many years, but yoga has alleviated it.

I do yoga daily for my back. I used to have back problems from sitting in an office for so many years, but yoga has alleviated it.
Did you get coaching when you started?

Reactions: PoS
I have arthritis in my lower back. Computer programmer by day, computer geek by night. I was getting bad migranes and visual auras until I found this:

Amazon.com: Spine-Worx Back Realignment Device – Thoracic and Lumbar Relief Back Stretcher – Spinal Alignment – Back Stretching Device – Chiropractic Alignment – Back Stretching Device – Back Support Product: Health & Personal Care

THAT thing is the only yoga I'll ever need. It's a godsend and 1000% more effective than anything I ever tried on my own. Worth its weight in gold 10 times over.

I have to be careful doing too many repetitive movements or it aggravates my joint pain. Some light exercise helps better than none, which leads to stiffness. Yoga, stretching, walking, swimming and low weight, strength training should help.

I have psoriatic arthritis which is similar, but just impacts one area at a time. We do yoga, and it might help a bit, but I don't think the effects are long term or really solve any issue. I have an unrelated (I think) and recurring issue with my SI joint and yoga is great for that. I've also tried acupuncture, and that was worthless for me. Regular exercise like you are doing could help, but we've been doing it consistently for years and I can't compare symptoms with or without exercise. The real solution for me has unfortunately been Enbrel - it's been a miracle drug for me.

I have found over the years that my diet does affect the disease. I cut out gluten and try to eat a more whole foods diet (fruits, veggies, etc., avoid white foods, and milk products other than cheese and butter, which doesn't seem to affect me) and it's reduced the need for shots from 1/week to generally 1/month or so. Sometimes I can go up to 6 weeks without a shot, other times only 3 or so. On average I go a little more than a month between them. My rheumatologist is fine with this.

I was hoping the diet changes could get me off the drug entirely but it just hasn't. Maybe if I was more strict and eliminated dairy it would but I've tried it for 3 months and didn't see a change, and so mainly worry about gluten and dairy except cheese/butter.

IMO, the arthritis term in Rheumatoid Arthritis is often misleading to some. RA is nothing at all like Osteoarthritis. OA is localized and clearly a result of aging and joint wear. RA is an immune system disease affecting your whole body, where your immune system literally attacks healthy tissue surrounding the joints, creating infections all over your body.

Treatments between the two diseases are nothing alike as well.

RA is treated by steroids, tumor necrosis factor (TNF) antagonists, biologics, and other immunosuppressant therapies.
OA is a completely different animal. It can be treated by joint replacement, ibuprofen, cortisone and even exercise by strengthening the muscles around the affected joint.

Back
Top Bottom