• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rewarding law breaking.

I was going to say, "What a load of crap!" But instead will ask just how much of the wealth you create should go to "education"? Step up!

I work with poor, disenfranchised youth. I advocate for and work for better education. I am currently in the process of completing a masters degree in social work to continue to work with the troubled youth. The sweat of my brow, the hours of my life over the past 12 years of working with youth within the education and criminal justice systems. I'm all for paying more taxes than I already do out of my meager earnings. Because I have seen directly the result of a broken education system and the results of institutionalized poverty.

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

―written on the Statue of Liberty

You do realize that there was a time when the lands were empty and the burdens of government (taxes and regulations) were very light, don't you? Why don't we go back to the laws of those days as far as immigration is concerned?

This sentiment does not cover invasions.

I work with poor, disenfranchised youth. I advocate for and work for better education. I am currently in the process of completing a masters degree in social work to continue to work with the troubled youth. The sweat of my brow, the hours of my life over the past 12 years of working with youth within the education and criminal justice systems. I'm all for paying more taxes than I already do out of my meager earnings. Because I have seen directly the result of a broken education system and the results of institutionalized poverty.
Back to my question. How much of the wealth you create should go to education?
This will be above and beyond whatever taxes you already pay.

If you want to fix the education system then do you agree we should abolish the teachers' unions? Start a thread. I will participate.

If you want to fix the education system then do you agree we should abolish the teachers' unions? Start a thread. I will participate.

Why does you having more children than I do mean you get more education than me?

You do realize that there was a time when the lands were empty and the burdens of government (taxes and regulations) were very light, don't you? Why don't we go back to the laws of those days as far as immigration is concerned?

This sentiment does not cover invasions.

"Lands were empty"? You mean when "Americans" invaded the land that Native Americans already owned and lived on?

How does the teachers' unions have anything at all to do with immigration? Clearly if you were educated in the public education system, our system is pretty broken. Que Horror. I'm done answering your nonsense.

Earlier I wrote, "Back to my question. How much of the wealth you create should go to education?

If you want to fix the education system then do you agree we should abolish the teachers' unions? Start a thread. I will participate."

To which you replied,

Why does you having more children than I do mean you get more education than me?

What? It is just wrong to drink and post!

:)

I pay property taxes to support three nearby schools. I have no children attending any of those schools. It is true I have several degrees up to the Masters level. I paid for those in a variety of ways. You may have to restate your question. I do not see how it is relevant.

"Lands were empty"? You mean when "Americans" invaded the land that Native Americans already owned and lived on?

The lands were nearly empty. What was the population in the interior? 10 million? 20 million? There were vast tracts with no people. There were no welfare programs. No "affordable" health care paid for by the existing citizens. No amenities. We had way less government back then so we dug things of value out of the ground, made things, shipped things. We needed the people.

Today we do not. Today we have more than 300 million people here. We have an overbearing federal government that prevents us from digging things out of the ground and making things. We have between 8 and 14% unemployment. Most of the unemployed are under-educated. Why would we invite an additional 50 million uneducated, poor, sick people in?

I believe it is because the democratic party needs a steady stream of ignorant, sick people who who will vote for them in return for a transfer of wealth from the people who create wealth to them.

No thank you.

How does the teachers' unions have anything at all to do with immigration? Clearly if you were educated in the public education system, our system is pretty broken. Que Horror. I'm done answering your nonsense.
Quandary. You made the claim that the problems stem from insufficient money going to education. That is false. You believe that more money will fix the corrupt education system. One must eliminate the teachers unions to eliminate or at least significantly reduce the corruption.

I am sorry I went too fast for you.

No answer?

Earlier I wrote, "Back to my question. How much of the wealth you create should go to education?

If you want to fix the education system then do you agree we should abolish the teachers' unions? Start a thread. I will participate."

To which you replied,

What? It is just wrong to drink and post!

:)

I pay property taxes to support three nearby schools. I have no children attending any of those schools. It is true I have several degrees up to the Masters level. I paid for those in a variety of ways. You may have to restate your question. I do not see how it is relevant.
If we have the same house and I have 1 kid and you have 5 you are recieving more education than me. In effect I am paying for 2 other kids even though I'm only getting 1 kids worth of education. Why should my child get less education per dollar than yours?

Quandary. You made the claim that the problems stem from insufficient money going to education. That is false. You believe that more money will fix the corrupt education system. One must eliminate the teachers unions to eliminate or at least significantly reduce the corruption.

I am sorry I went too fast for you.

No answer?

I answered this in my last response to you, I'd happily pay even more of my meager salary to help fix education. The teachers' union has nothing to do with this discussion, furthermore, unless you have spent a significant amount of time teaching children, your opinion is ill-informed, which seems to be a pattern with you. Again, I'm done entertaining your nonsense.

Neither party would ever admit it, but both parties actually benefit from illegal immigration.

For the Reps it's cheap labor for business. For the Dems it's a potential voting block and a chance to spin themselves as compassionate.

Because BOTH parties perceive a benefit, neither party is really truly interested in any meaningful and significant reform.

If we have the same house and I have 1 kid and you have 5 you are recieving more education than me. In effect I am paying for 2 other kids even though I'm only getting 1 kids worth of education. Why should my child get less education per dollar than yours?
I see. Our property taxes are not calculated based on the number of children we have in school. I pay based on the value of my property, which mysteriously increases whether times are bad or good.

At other times I have argued that all of education should be privatized. That solves your problem. If you have one child you pay for one child. If I have five children I pay for five children.

Neither party would ever admit it, but both parties actually benefit from illegal immigration.

For the Reps it's cheap labor for business. For the Dems it's a potential voting block and a chance to spin themselves as compassionate.

Because BOTH parties perceive a benefit, neither party is really truly interested in any meaningful and significant reform.
Only one of those, political power, is the driver. I do not believe that republicans get any benefits from illegal alien labor.

Earlier I wrote, "You made the claim that the problems stem from insufficient money going to education. That is false. You believe that more money will fix the corrupt education system. One must eliminate the teachers unions to eliminate or at least significantly reduce the corruption."

I answered this in my last response to you, I'd happily pay even more of my meager salary to help fix education. The teachers' union has nothing to do with this discussion, furthermore, unless you have spent a significant amount of time teaching children, your opinion is ill-informed, which seems to be a pattern with you. Again, I'm done entertaining your nonsense.
No problem. I do have a few people I no longer respond to.

But just one more comment. If you want to fix the education system how can you not address the teachers unions? They are the greatest part of the problem.

I see. Our property taxes are not calculated based on the number of children we have in school. I pay based on the value of my property, which mysteriously increases whether times are bad or good.

At other times I have argued that all of education should be privatized. That solves your problem. If you have one child you pay for one child. If I have five children I pay for five children.
Funny how that works.

Only one of those, political power, is the driver. I do not believe that republicans get any benefits from illegal alien labor.
Looking the other way when business hires illegal labor helps keep their core base satisfied.

Funny how that works.
Yeah. Funny. I have to pay rent to the state for property I own.

Looking the other way when business hires illegal labor helps keep their core base satisfied.
I tend to wonder what the base of the Republican party is. As a Conservative who believes that governments must be limited by written constitutions or charter, I know that I have no place in the Establishment Republican party of the Doles, the Bushes, the McCains and the Romneys.

I cannot imagine that committing national suicide whether quickly as the Democrats prefer or slowly the way Republicans choose benefits anyone.

This will no longer be the United States. And liberals will succumb as readily as Conservatives.

Back
Top Bottom