• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Reverend James Webb

fortune

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I need help with science although it may be philosophy or metaphysics but you can tell me later where this fits.

Just going to start this with a list of axioms to keep my logic pumping

A-it takes a photon of light from the sun 500 seconds to reach the earth.
B-it takes a photon of light from the the most distant of two stars (suns) in our galaxy more than 100,000 years to reach each other.
C-it takes a photon of light from our galaxy 14,000,000,000 years to reach the most distant galaxy we know of.

so since or if Webb can see galaxies further can they show the limits of light emissions or the edge of the universe?

Thing like this sometimes convinces me the human race will never know as we are not God and proves in it's own way to me that ther can be no god-king of the universe and that the a simple pimple of space and time we call the human race is unimaginably full of itself.

However there are plenty of theologians who have an answer to this non-question.

Sorry my babbling time has ended says the very nice lady in a white uniform who smiles at me.

Last edited:
Fortune, I don't know much about science, but there might be methods other than gathering light to determine the existence of distant objects in the universe. I think one is the gravitational pull that objects seem to have on one another. For example, if an object has an unusual curve in its movement, then it is reasoned that another object--maybe one we can't see--is pulling on it. The probable size of the invisible object might even be calculated. Someone with greater knowledge than I (read everybody) can probably give you a better answer.

Fortune, I just realized that I might have misunderstood your question, but I'll leave this post here in case I didn't.

I need help with science although it may be philosophy or metaphysics but you can tell me later where this fits.

B-it takes a photon of light from the the most distant of two stars (suns) in our galaxy more than 100,000 years to reach each other.
C-it takes a photon of light from our galaxy 14,000,000,000 years to reach the most distant galaxy we know of.

so since or if Webb can see galaxies further can they show the limits of light emissions or the edge of the universe?

Thing like this sometimes convinces me the human race will never know as we are not God and proves in it's own way to me that ther can be no god-king of the universe and that the a simple pimple of space and time we call the human race is unimaginably full of itself.

However there are plenty of theologians who have an answer to this non-question.

Sorry my babbling time has ended says the very nice lady in a white uniform who smiles at me.
I have no idea what you're getting at, so you're right about it being a non-question.

You asked for help but nobody understands what the hell you want.

If we understood whatever question it is you have, maybe you could get an answer.

If you don't actually want an answer... then ok bye

You asked for help but nobody understands what the hell you want.

If we understood whatever question it is you have, maybe you could get an answer.

If you don't actually want an answer... then ok bye
A curious choice of inclusive pronoun you choose.
Who are we?
Nevertheless I must assume "you" are having no problem not understanding which is really ok with me.
<shrug>

There are three types of horizons:
  • Cosmological;
  • Particle; and
  • Event.
The cosmological horizon is the observable universe, or the photons that have already reached us. The size of the observable universe is 4.23 gigaparsecs (13.79 billion light years). The size of the particle horizon (the photons that have not reached us) is 10.03 gigaparsecs (32.7 billion light years) Which makes the size of both the cosmological and particle horizon, or the size of the universe in general, 14.26 gigaparsecs (46.5 billion light years) radius (assuming a flat universe).

The cosmological event horizon will vary depending on the time in the future. It will also depend on our understanding of Dark Energy and whether or not the universe is accelerating in its expansion.

The James Webb Space Telescope will have 6.25 times the collecting area than the Hubble Space Telescope and be able to cover 15 times more area. We should be able to see the monstrous population III stars that first formed at the beginning of the universe with the JWST. We may even be able to directly image the closest known exoplanets to Earth using the JWST - Proxima Centauri b and c.

Source:
Evolution of the cosmological horizons in a universe with countably infinitely many state equations - Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics, Volume 2013, February 2013 (free preprint)

Last edited:
Fortune, I don't know much about science, but there might be methods other than gathering light to determine the existence of distant objects in the universe. I think one is the gravitational pull that objects seem to have on one another. For example, if an object has an unusual curve in its movement, then it is reasoned that another object--maybe one we can't see--is pulling on it. The probable size of the invisible object might even be calculated. Someone with greater knowledge than I (read everybody) can probably give you a better answer.

Fortune, I just realized that I might have misunderstood your question, but I'll leave this post here in case I didn't.
Both Hubble and the JWST use a variety of different wavelengths. Hubble uses near-infrared, the visual spectrum, and some ultra-violet. The JWST will use wavelengths that are in the 0.6 to 28.5 micrometer range. Which includes the visual spectrum up to yellow and red, but is primarily using infrared. The JWST will not be able to see into the upper visual spectrum (blue, violet) or into the ultra-violet portion of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Both Hubble and the JWST use a variety of different wavelengths. Hubble uses near-infrared, the visual spectrum, and some ultra-violet. The JWST will use wavelengths that are in the 0.6 to 28.5 micrometer range. Which includes the visual spectrum up to yellow and red, but is primarily using infrared. The JWST will not be able to see into the upper visual spectrum (blue, violet) or into the ultra-violet portion of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Thanks Glitch--it sounds like you really know this stuff. I wish I had paid more attention in physics class. Thanks again.

There are three types of horizons:
  • Cosmological;
  • Particle; and
  • Event.
The cosmological horizon is the observable universe, or the photons that have already reached us. The size of the observable universe is 4.23 gigaparsecs (13.79 billion light years). The size of the particle horizon (the photons that have not reached us) is 10.03 gigaparsecs (32.7 billion light years) Which makes the size of both the cosmological and particle horizon, or the size of the universe in general, 14.26 gigaparsecs (46.5 billion light years) radius (assuming a flat universe).

The cosmological event horizon will vary depending on the time in the future. It will also depend on our understanding of Dark Energy and whether or not the universe is accelerating in its expansion.

The James Webb Space Telescope will have 6.25 times the collecting area than the Hubble Space Telescope and be able to cover 15 times more area. We should be able to see the monstrous population III stars that first formed at the beginning of the universe with the JWST. We may even be able to directly image the closest known exoplanets to Earth using the JWST - Proxima Centauri b and c.

Source:
Evolution of the cosmological horizons in a universe with countably infinitely many state equations - Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics, Volume 2013, February 2013 (free preprint)

Awesome post.

I just started reviewing and watching Hubble images again.

Everything since 1990 has been incredible.

Since I first watched the lunar landing in July 1969 astronomy and astrophysics have been a passion of mine.

Wow! Those sound like exciting times! All I ever get to see is a "Star Trek" actor taking a five-minute elevator ride into space. :)

Thank you and congratulations for seeing the scale of this possible new time. I just hope JW does not suffer comedy of errors we had to fix in outer space for the Hubble. It is going to be a long three month wait.

Back
Top Bottom