• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Revealed: Trump campaign strategy to deter millions of Black Americans from voting in 2016

BlueTex

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Whoops! Facebook has some explaining to do...

Brad Parscale, the campaign’s 2016 digital director told PBS Frontline: “I would say I’m nearly 100 percent sure we did not run any campaigns that targeted even African Americans.”

But Channel 4 News has uncovered evidence that the campaign did target Black voters with negative ads designed to crush Hillary Clinton’s turnout.

These included videos featuring Hillary Clinton referring to Black youths as “super predators” which aired on television 402 times in October 2016 and received millions of views on Facebook.

In one confidential document seen by Channel 4 News, Cambridge Analytica admitted the Trump campaign did target “AA” (African Americans) with what it called the “Predators video” – spending $55,000 USD in the state of Georgia alone.

Yea but Hillary Clinton said that shit right? Can't really blame the Trump campaign for showing voters Hillary's own words.

Using Hillary’s own words against her is now voter suppression that’s a stretch IMO unless you consider all negative campaign ads voter suppression.

Using Hillary’s own words against her is now voter suppression that’s a stretch IMO unless you consider all negative campaign ads voter suppression.

They were targeting voters down to ward and precinct level. "Deterrence" was only one of the "customer" groups they designated. Others got different messages. Tomorrow they visit voters to get their reactions to just how much data the Trump campaign held/holds on them. Facebook has many questions to answer too!

Brad Parscale, the campaign’s 2016 digital director told PBS Frontline: “I would say I’m nearly 100 percent sure we did not run any campaigns that targeted even African Americans.”

But Channel 4 News has uncovered evidence that the campaign did target Black voters with negative ads designed to crush Hillary Clinton’s turnout.

These included videos featuring Hillary Clinton referring to Black youths as “super predators” which aired on television 402 times in October 2016 and received millions of views on Facebook.

In one confidential document seen by Channel 4 News, Cambridge Analytica admitted the Trump campaign did target “AA” (African Americans) with what it called the “Predators video” – spending $55,000 USD in the state of Georgia alone.

I don't know why this would or should surprise anyone.

1. Targeting specific racial, sexual, educational or income demographics is part of the political game.
2. Using racism has always been a tool politicians have used ever since Reconstruction. This simply confirms that Hillary/Democrats weren't the only ones playing the race card in 2016.
3. It was a smart political strategy considering Hillary became renowned for calling Black crack addicts "super predators".
4. Notice the now defunct Cambridge Analytica was front-and-center in this data mining operation. (The same social media data mining company both the Trump campaign and the Russians used just prior to targeting the Rust Belt in October 2016.)

The above notwithstanding, it's understandable why the Trump campaign focused so much attention on Black voters in 2016. He knew that if he could turn Black voters away from Hillary - make them (us) disinterested in voting at all least of all for her - he'd have a greater chance of winning because it would reduced voter turnout on the Democratic presidential ticket. I honestly cannot be mad at his campaign for using this strategy. It was actually pretty smart.

Last edited:
UK press and Europe are following through.

" ...The effort is said to have been devised in part by Cambridge Analytica, the notorious election consultant that ceased trading last year following revelations that it used dirty tricks to help win elections around the world and had gained unauthorised access to tens of millions of Facebook profiles

In Michigan, a state that Trump won by 10,000 votes, 15% of voters are black. But they represented 33% of the special deterrence category in the secret database, meaning black voters were apparently disproportionately targeted by anti-Clinton ads.

In Wisconsin, where the Republicans won by 30,000, 5.4% of voters are black, but 17% of the deterrence group. According the Channel 4, that amounted to more than a third of black voters in the state overall, all placed in the group to be sent anti-Clinton material on their Facebook feeds. ..."

Wow, this is precious. Running ads to get people not to vote for your opponent is now considered "voter suppression."

I don’t see a conflict there. TV commercials are not digital media and just because a video is on Facebook does not mean the Trump campaign put it there or paid Facebook to target certain users.

I don’t see a conflict there. TV commercials are not digital media and just because a video is on Facebook does not mean the Trump campaign put it there or paid Facebook to target certain users.

The Russians did a lot too. Internet Research Agency is Putin's hotline to subversion It was a massive highly targeted campaign in a dozen swing states, using social media, not advertising, gives the reader the impression that their friends and peers are generating the propaganda.

Here's the details.

Wow, this is precious. Running ads to get people not to vote for your opponent is now considered "voter suppression."
I wouldn't call it voter suppression. It was just a smart campaign strategy using Hillary's own words against her and focusing the skepticism Black voters had in her trustworthiness based on her super predator commentary. If anything, many Black voters kept themselves away from the voting booths because many of us felt we couldn't trust either candidate.

I can't believe a campaign would run a negative ad about its opponent.

What is this world coming to.

Now, how do you come to your headline here? How is running a negative ad deterring blacks from voting?

I am sure we will see the same this year with what Harris did to keep many black men in prison even though she knew they were innocent.

Back
Top Bottom