• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Revealed: Damning Hard Evidence on Libby

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
CIA handwritten notes have been released which now show that Libby knew about Plame more than a month before the time he claims he learned about her identity from reporters. Not only that, but he had discussed Plame at least 7 times with others before the time he claims he learned about her identity from reporters. This is some pretty damning evidence. Libby says he has a poor memory, and that is his excuse for giving false information to the grand jury. In light of this new evidence, this looks like he will be convicted of perjury. Libby is probably toast.

Article is here.

danarhea, Libby apparently has a phenomenal memory. See a post I made months ago. This is how a friend of Libby's described him:

"He described him as maddeningly precise, the most rigorous, fact-based guy, with the best memory, almost uptight about facts, that he had ever dealt with."

http://www.debatepolitics.com/showthread.php?p=128624#post128624

This is the same man who says, "Oh, I had so much more important information on my plate that I couldn't remember where I heard about Valerie Plame so I pulled a name out of my butt"?

aps said:
danarhea, Libby apparently has a phenomenal memory. See a post I made months ago. This is how a friend of Libby's described him:

"He described him as maddeningly precise, the most rigorous, fact-based guy, with the best memory, almost uptight about facts, that he had ever dealt with."

http://www.debatepolitics.com/showthread.php?p=128624#post128624

This is the same man who says, "Oh, I had so much more important information on my plate that I couldn't remember where I heard about Valerie Plame so I pulled a name out of my butt"?

Yea, Libby couldnt remember speaking to at least 7 CIA agents about Plame during the month before he says he got the name from a reporter. If anyone believes that, I have some prime property to sell them. It's called the Houston Astrodome. I will let them have it for $100.00. Who knows? I could get a lot of takers on this scam. :lol:

Patrick Fitzgerald's last Friday in a federal court hearing on the case, is reported to have said that it, as far as his case goes, it doesn't matter whether or not Plame was a covert CIA agent, that he is trying a perjury case, nothing more, nothing less:

"CIA leak prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald argued . . . that as far as the perjury charges against former Cheney chief of staff Lewis Libby are concerned, it does not matter whether or not Valerie Wilson was a covert CIA agent . . . 'We're trying a perjury case', Fitzgerald told Judge Reggie Walton. Even if Plame had never worked for the CIA at all, Fitzgerald continued -- even if she had been simply mistaken for a CIA agent -- the charges against Libby would still stand. In addition, Fitzgerald said, he does not intend to offer 'any proof of actual damage' caused by the disclosure of Wilson's identity."

Source.

Strikes me that the Plame affair all those months was a forced march down a blind alley.

oldreliable67 said:
Patrick Fitzgerald's last Friday in a federal court hearing on the case, is reported to have said that it, as far as his case goes, it doesn't matter whether or not Plame was a covert CIA agent, that he is trying a perjury case, nothing more, nothing less:

"CIA leak prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald argued . . . that as far as the perjury charges against former Cheney chief of staff Lewis Libby are concerned, it does not matter whether or not Valerie Wilson was a covert CIA agent . . . 'We're trying a perjury case', Fitzgerald told Judge Reggie Walton. Even if Plame had never worked for the CIA at all, Fitzgerald continued -- even if she had been simply mistaken for a CIA agent -- the charges against Libby would still stand. In addition, Fitzgerald said, he does not intend to offer 'any proof of actual damage' caused by the disclosure of Wilson's identity."

Source.

Strikes me that the Plame affair all those months was a forced march down a blind alley.

The Wall Street Journal won't let me in. That hurts my feelings. ;)

No, it was not a forced march down a blind alley. Fitzgerald is absolutely correct in that whether she was a covert agent or not is not the issue in Libby's case. Libby was indicted on perjury charges--not a violation of the statute involved. So her covert status is not at issue.

Take Ken Starr's investigation. He was investigating Whitewater. Instead, he got Clinton on perjury. If Clinton attempted to bring up issues involving Whitewater in relation to his perjury about his relationship with Lewinsky, that would have been disregarded.

What's happening, tough guy? :)

aps said:
Take Ken Starr's investigation. He was investigating Whitewater. Instead, he got Clinton on perjury. If Clinton attempted to bring up issues involving Whitewater in relation to his perjury about his relationship with Lewinsky, that would have been disregarded.

What's happening, tough guy? :)

Doggone it....my thoughts exactly. I was about to post and I seen aps done beat me to it. I'm gonna have to start waking up earlier.

Ain't payback a *****?

Captain America said:
Doggone it....my thoughts exactly. I was about to post and I seen aps done beat me to it. I'm gonna have to start waking up earlier.

Ain't payback a *****?

Great minds think alike. It is so tough to be brilliant. Right, Captain? ;)

See? I was thinkin' that too....

O' Lord it's hard to be humble,
When you're perfect in every way.
I can't stand to look in the mirror,
I get better lookin' each day.
To know me is to love me.
I must be a helluva man.
O' Lord, it's hard to be humble.
But I'm doing the best that I can.
****************M. Davis

:rofl

aps said:
No, it was not a forced march down a blind alley. Fitzgerald is absolutely correct in that whether she was a covert agent or not is not the issue in Libby's case. Libby was indicted on perjury charges--not a violation of the statute involved. So her covert status is not at issue.

Yes, it was a forced march down a blind alley, IMO. But apparently I didn't make myself clear: I have always maintained the position that Libby was most likely guilty of perjury, but perhaps and maybe even probably, nothing else. I'm saying that the whole thing was a huge waste of taxpayers money, even though it unfortunately had to be done given the CIA's requirement to notify the DoJ in the event of a possible leak of classified info.

And speaking of forced marches and blind alleys, so was all the Whitewater kerfuffle. Its all just ankle-biting partisan BS. The person in the cross-hairs is whomever inhabits the office at any given moment in time.

The next person in the office, regardless of party affiliation will have to contend with the very same stuff that Clinton and Bush have: minute examination of each and every move during every minute of every day. Transgressions, whether merely perceived or real or substantive, or just made-up, won't matter; they will be trumpeted by the out-of-power group to the media known for its specific leanings. Media and political parties must have grist for their mills, otherwise they have no reason for existence.

oldreliable67 said:
Yes, it was a forced march down a blind alley, IMO. But apparently I didn't make myself clear: I have always maintained the position that Libby was most likely guilty of perjury, but perhaps and maybe even probably, nothing else. I'm saying that the whole thing was a huge waste of taxpayers money, even though it unfortunately had to be done given the CIA's requirement to notify the DoJ in the event of a possible leak of classified info.

And speaking of forced marches and blind alleys, so was all the Whitewater kerfuffle. Its all just ankle-biting partisan BS. The person in the cross-hairs is whomever inhabits the office at any given moment in time.

The next person in the office, regardless of party affiliation will have to contend with the very same stuff that Clinton and Bush have: minute examination of each and every move during every minute of every day. Transgressions, whether merely perceived or real or substantive, or just made-up, won't matter; they will be trumpeted by the out-of-power group to the media known for its specific leanings. Media and political parties must have grist for their mills, otherwise they have no reason for existence.

Amen, brother! :2wave:

Back
Top Bottom