• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Reuters soundman killed in Baghdad, police blame US

epr64

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Sadly enough, the press is once again a victim in this war.

I hope we'll have a full and independent inquiry. Every dead journalist shuts a bit more the window we have to do good in this world..

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - A Reuters Television soundman was shot dead in Baghdad on Sunday and a cameraman who was wounded was still being questioned by U.S. troops 12 hours later.

Iraqi police said the two, both Iraqis, were shot by U.S. forces. A U.S. military spokesman said the incident was being investigated. The cameraman was being held and questioned because of "inconsistencies in his initial testimony," he added.

Waleed Khaled, 35, was hit by a shot to the face and at least four to the chest as he drove to check a report, called in to the Reuters bureau by a police source, of an incident involving police and gunmen in the western Hay al-Adil district.

"A team from Reuters news agency was on assignment to cover the killing of two policemen in Hay al-Adil; U.S. forces opened fire on the team from Reuters and killed Waleed Khaled, who was shot in the head, and wounded Haider Kadhem," an Interior Ministry official quoted the police incident report as saying.

Cameraman Kadhem, 24, who was wounded in the back, told colleagues at the scene: "I heard shooting, looked up and saw an American sniper on the roof of the shopping center."

The only known witness, he was later detained by the U.S. troops. For 10 hours, U.S. officers said they could not trace Kadhem. Finally a spokesman, Lieutenant Colonel Robert Whetstone, said he was being held at an unspecified location. His "superficial" wound had been treated "on location," he said.

The link to the whole story is here.

CU
Y

So shooting dogs for fun has lost interest with our soldiers in Iraq, so now they shoot the reporters?

Another reason why they get no respect from me.

Arch Enemy said:
So shooting dogs for fun has lost interest with our soldiers in Iraq, so now they shoot the reporters?

Another reason why they get no respect from me.
AE.. We still don't know exactly what happened.
I'm not sure we'll ever know, but I want to see where this leads. Neither you or me were there.

I think it's a tragedy when someone from the press is killed, arrested or tortured, because the press is the only way we have to have a good idea of what's happening in any circumstance outside our own reach.

But I also remember two "journalists" with belgian passports that killed the commander Massoud in september 2001.

In this case, they were Reuters, clearly and visibly. So, I hope we'll have something soon, as I don't see Reuters letting something like this down.

Have a good night (it's 23:17 here)

CU
Y

Back
Top Bottom