• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Reuters/Ipsos poll shows Biden leads Trump nationally, but race much tighter in key states

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. presidential race is much closer than national surveys suggest, according to Reuters/Ipsos opinion polls in battleground states that show Democrat Joe Biden with only a slim lead over President Donald Trump in three highly competitive states and in a dead heat in three others.

The online state polls, conducted earlier in September and released this week, found Biden and Trump tied among likely voters in Florida and North Carolina. Biden led by 1 percentage point in Arizona, 3 points in Pennsylvania and 5 points in Wisconsin and Michigan.

All six are critical to determining who wins the Nov. 3 election, given their population size and potential to swing to either party. In each of the states, the difference between the two candidates was near or within the poll’s sampling error, meaning that neither candidate has a clear advantage.
===============================================================
It will be interesting to see how the debates change any of these poll numbers.

Again I like to look at aggregate polls such as FiveThirtyEight and 270toWin.

The interactive map at 270 lets you play with the states. At this stage Biden is projected to win 278 even without any of the toss-up states. If Biden takes a handful of the toss-ups, without flipping a single red-leaning state, he's still well over 300. Give him all the toss-ups, he's at 369.

Trump has to flip at least one blue-leaning state (preferably worth at least 9 EC votes) to win. Trump can take all the toss-ups and still lose at 260.

Map sep 25.png

It's a great resource to watch for polling changes, as it has already changed since last time I played with it about 10 days ago.

The interactive map at 270 lets you play with the states. At this stage Biden is projected to win 278 even without any of the toss-up states. If Biden takes a handful of the toss-ups, without flipping a single red-leaning state, he's still well over 300. Give him all the toss-ups, he's at 369.

Trump has to flip at least one blue-leaning state (preferably worth at least 9 EC votes) to win. Trump can take all the toss-ups and still lose at 260.

View attachment 67296640

It's a great resource to watch for polling changes, as it has already changed since last time I played with it about 10 days ago.

Trump can easily flip Pennsylvania.

Look back at the Trump/Clinton PA polls from October 2016, she was up by 9 at one point per RCP.

Last edited:

View attachment 67296640

FiveThirtyEight's polling/prediction just before the 2016 election:

screen-shot-2016-11-08-at-9-59-47-am.png

View attachment 67296640

WE NEED BIDEN AT 369 MINIMUM to head off Trump's SCOTUS gambit.
It would be highly preferable for him to win with 375 or more.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. presidential race is much closer than national surveys suggest, according to Reuters/Ipsos opinion polls in battleground states that show Democrat Joe Biden with only a slim lead over President Donald Trump in three highly competitive states and in a dead heat in three others.

The online state polls, conducted earlier in September and released this week, found Biden and Trump tied among likely voters in Florida and North Carolina. Biden led by 1 percentage point in Arizona, 3 points in Pennsylvania and 5 points in Wisconsin and Michigan.

All six are critical to determining who wins the Nov. 3 election, given their population size and potential to swing to either party. In each of the states, the difference between the two candidates was near or within the poll’s sampling error, meaning that neither candidate has a clear advantage.
===============================================================
It will be interesting to see how the debates change any of these poll numbers.

I don't think the debates are going to change much. There's been enough on display and people have most likely made up their minds well before the debates take place. The most we'll get out of them are gaffes. Sorry to sound pessimistic on this front, but this is likely to be a pretty one dimensional race.

That's it, keep thinking this is 2016 all over again and that people have not witnessed four years of Trump.
This doesn’t address the fact that the polling was off in the Swing States.

To your point, Trump’s favorability on Election Day 2016 was 37.5%. His current approval average is 43% per 538, and 42% per RCP.

Many who witnessed four years of Trump liked what they saw.

Last edited:
This doesn’t address the fact that the polling was off in the Swing States.

To your point, Trump’s favorability on Election Day 2016 was 37.5%. His current approval average is 43% per 538, and 42% per RCP.

Many who witnessed four years of Trump liked what they saw.

Biden's favorability is much higher than Clinton's was.

Also, one consistent thing in almost every poll...Biden is winning Independents and 2016 third party voters. If that translates to Election Day...

Yes it's true the best such polls can do is a "Chance of winning". You never know until the day.

That isn't a guarantee because Trump won as the outlier once, he'll do it every time, but you're right Dems should not be complacent and think they have it in the bag.

If early voting numbers are any indication, Democrats are not complacent. I'm still pegging Biden at 318. Like uptower, I rely on 538 and 270towin; and like ElChupacabra, I don't things are going to change much. I don't want to be too confident, and things can go wrong (as in Florida), but the chances are good despite blatant cheating by the GOP. I want a total blowout. It'd add Arizona, and both Maine and Nebraska 2nd. Ohio and Georgia revert to norm, Florida and North Carolina are just too close to call.

BTW, the Reuters/Ipsos poll is crap (online), like SurveyMonkey, even though they are normally reliable.

If early voting numbers are any indication, Democrats are not complacent. I'm still pegging Biden at 318. Like uptower, I rely on 538 and 270towin; and like ElChupacabra, I don't things are going to change much. I don't want to be too confident, and things can go wrong (as in Florida), but the chances are good despite blatant cheating by the GOP. I want a total blowout. It'd add Arizona, and both Maine and Nebraska 2nd. Ohio and Georgia revert to norm, Florida and North Carolina are just too close to call.

BTW, the Reuters/Ipsos poll is crap (online), like SurveyMonkey, even though they are normally reliable.

I am hoping for a total blowout too. But whatever gets trump out of there... is fine by me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Polls Were Not As Wrong As you Think

"Some of the disparities between the polling margins and actual results in states like Wisconsin came from were state-level polls not adequately weighting, or factoring in, education levels, which ended up obscuring some of Trump's support from white, non-college-educated voters. Since then, pollsters have reevaluated many of their methods and now factor in education to a greater extent. "

"also explained in 2017 that voters who decided on a candidate at the last minute heavily broke for Trump in several of the key swing states he narrowly won, an effect that is impossible for polls to capture far in advance." You can thank Comey for that one.....

Look back at the Trump/Clinton PA polls from October 2016, she was up by 9 at one point per RCP.
What's to flip. He won it last time, just barely. Clinton's election was taken from her by the Comey letter leaked by GOP members in the senate, plain and simple.

And Trump want's to prosecute Comey. For what, he won the election for him with the letter that led nowhere.

All swing states can go to either candidate. That's why they are called swing states. Biden has pretty much locked up 222 electoral college votes vs. Trump with 125. Biden only needs about more 48 electors to win the election. If it's a tie at 269 or if no candidate hits the 270 mark, Biden would win the election in the congress.

If Biden continues to lead nationally with more than 4% of the popular vote, he's unlikely to lose the electoral college.

I know you want Trump to win, but the current state has Biden winning, even if he loses both Ohio and Florida.

We really haven't seen any real shifts toward Trump.

What's to flip. He won it last time, just barely. Clinton's election was taken from her by the Comey letter leaked by GOP members in the senate, plain and simple.

And Trump want's to prosecute Comey. For what, he won the election for him with the letter that led nowhere.

I see this election cycle similar to 2008. As soon as Obama won the nomination, he was the favorite win the general election and led in most of the swing states.

We can't really compare 2016 to 2020, because it was an election cycle without a true incumbent President and both candidates had over 50% disapproval ratings.

The best the GOP can hope for would be a 1948 election.

I think support for Biden is understated right now. We have the Republicans jamming through a justice while the election is occurring in the most hypocritical fashion. We have senior citizens breaking for Biden in a big way because Trump doesn't care if they die of Covid-19, and senior citizens are the most reliably consistent voting bloc in the electorate. The people who despise Trump in a big way are very motivated.

Also, I think people understate the profound effect of anti-Clinton propaganda Fox News pushed in the decades preceding the 2016 election. This had a profound effect on the 2016 election. We don't see that same thing happening with Biden. Fox News hasn't had time to destroy Biden's reputation. Fox News has been gunning for Clinton since she became a Senator.

Also, nearly all of the recent court rulings concerning mail-in ballots are in Biden's favor, especially in the swing states.

I predict a total blowout in Biden's favor, and the Democrats take the Senate.

I also predict we'll know this outcome on election night and not days after.

Thereafter, due to the propaganda by Trump and his cultists about mail-in ballots, I also predict low-intensity terrorism and violence by the gun-nut militia groups across the country throughout Biden's term in office. For example, we see on this very forum a predetermined refusal to accept the mail-in ballots by the more radical Trump supporters. And the anti-voting propaganda by pro-Trump outlets is becoming worse every day. Even with a huge victory by Biden the Q-anon nuts will believe it was stolen by Biden.

Last edited:
I predict Trump will beat Biden more than he did Hillary.

I'm in PA, and I am extremely cautious, but it's safe to say the Philly dem turnout will be higher this time.

For what it’s worth, Trump nearly cut Biden’s NYT lead in half over the past three months.

In June, the NYT had Biden up by 14, and the poll just out shows Biden’s lead down to 8.

Keeping in mind that this is the NYT, this could be good news for Trump.

Yahoo News/YouGuv also shows Biden’s lead cut in half over the past two weeks, down from 10 points to 5 points. This poll is on 538, but not on RCP for some reason.

For what it’s worth, Trump nearly cut Biden’s NYT lead in half over the past month.

A month ago, the NYT had Biden up by 14, and the poll just out shows Biden’s lead down to 8.

Keeping in mind that this is the NYT, this could be good news for Trump.

Yahoo News/YouGuv also shows Biden’s lead cut in half over the past two weeks, down from 10 points to 5 points. This poll is on 538, but not on RCP for some reason.
As far as the coronavirus pandemic, Trump has demonstrated that he is incompetent as dealing with it. Does he make you feel safe?

Our deaths per cases is 2.9%.

Yes.
Then you are in the minority. Swallow some bleach. - Trump's dea of how to deal with the coronavirus. And many did just that. Like the Trumpite who killed himself by swallowing fish tank cleaner because it contained Trump's touted hydroxychloroquine. Madness.

Back
Top Bottom