• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Reuters confirms... George Soros tied to OWS financing

Grim17

Battle Ready
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
This isn't Fox News, the Washington Times, the Weekly Standard or some conservative blog... This is one of the largest news agencies in the world, the historically left leaning Reuters who's confirming the Soros connection.

Who's behind the Wall St. protests?
By Mark Egan and Michelle Nichols
Reuters
1 hr 20 mins ago

There has been much speculation over who is financing the disparate protest, which has spread to cities across America and lasted nearly four weeks. One name that keeps coming up is investor George Soros, who in September debuted in the top 10 list of wealthiest Americans. Conservative critics contend the movement is a Trojan horse for a secret Soros agenda.

Soros and the protesters deny any connection. But Reuters did find indirect financial links between Soros and Adbusters, an anti-capitalist group in Canada which started the protests with an inventive marketing campaign aimed at sparking an Arab Spring type uprising against Wall Street. Moreover, Soros and the protesters share some ideological ground.

The Hungarian-American was an early supporter of the 2008 election campaign of Barack Obama, who will seek a second term as president in the November, 2012, election. He has long backed liberal causes - the Open Society Institute, the foreign policy think tank Council on Foreign Relations and Human Rights Watch.

According to disclosure documents from 2007-2009, Soros' Open Society gave grants of $3.5 million to the Tides Center, a San Francisco-based group that acts almost like a clearing house for other donors, directing their contributions to liberal non-profit groups. Among others the Tides Center has partnered with are the Ford Foundation and the Gates Foundation.

Disclosure documents also show Tides, which declined comment, gave Adbusters grants of $185,000 from 2001-2010, including nearly $26,000 between 2007-2009.

Aides to Soros say any connection is tenuous and that Soros has never heard of Adbusters. Soros himself declined comment.

Who's behind the Wall St. protests? - Yahoo! News

OP's link said:
According to disclosure documents from 2007-2009, Soros' Open Society gave grants of $3.5 million to the Tides Center, a San Francisco-based group that acts almost like a clearing house for other donors, directing their contributions to liberal non-profit groups. Among others the Tides Center has partnered with are the Ford Foundation and the Gates Foundation.

Disclosure documents also show Tides, which declined comment, gave Adbusters grants of $185,000 from 2001-2010, including nearly $26,000 between 2007-2009.

Aides to Soros say any connection is tenuous and that Soros has never heard of Adbusters. Soros himself declined comment.

So Soros donated $3.5M to TIDES, a business that distributes grants to liberal non-profits groups that is also partnered with the Ford Foundation and Gates Foundation and TIDES gave Adbusters grants of $185,000 from 2001-2010, including nearly $26,000 between 2007-2009. And you want to use that to make it appear that Soros is directly funding OWS? :lamo

Are the Ford Foundation and the Gates Foundation also directly responsible for OWS?

I just want to know who sent them a case of spam.

they can't even afford a Porto-Potty, and folks are accusing them of being funded by Soros?

Yes using the same logic as Reuters why wouldn't they?

Nah, you are going upstream with that logic. The article makes it sound like Soros gives money to Tides, who gives money to Adbusters, Ford Foundation, and the Gates Foundation, not that Ford & Gates gives money to Tides. Its not exactly written well.

From the article
Lasn said Adbusters is 95 percent funded by subscribers paying for the magazine. "George Soros's ideas are quite good, many of them. I wish he would give Adbusters some money, we sorely need it," he said. "He's never given us a penny."

And the rightwing ninnies think this proves that Soros has given money to OWS

This isn't Fox News, the Washington Times, the Weekly Standard or some conservative blog... This is one of the largest news agencies in the world, the historically left leaning Reuters who's confirming the Soros connection.

homealone.jpg

Thank God it isn't the Koch Brothers and other various corporate sponsors who funded the Tea Party!!

Well at least now we wont have to hear denial that the Kochs fund the Tea Party.

Your "proof" is EXACTLY the same mechanism by which Koch money gets to the Tea Party through AFP.

I think you're desperately trying to not realize we're not dwaling with rich people but TEAMS of rich people.

We need to address the GAME itself, now that we've identified the players.

What doesn't seem to be known is - if Soros provides financial backing for OSW - how the money was/is allocated within OSW. First we heard, ad nauseum, that OSW is nothing but a disorganized mob of people who haven't a clue as to what they want. We heard people droning on and on about the leaderless mob with no agenda was made up of drug addicts, street people, and 20 something airheads. Now we hear that Soros' money is behind OWS. How does one provide money to a disorganized leaderless mob that has no agenda?

You've got to be kidding me Grim..... :lamo

Tea Partier: My movement is a legitimate grassroots movement while yours is astroturf!
Occupier: My Movement is a legitimate grassroots movements while yours is astroturf!
Outside party: You are both right about the astroturf part and both wrong about the legitimate grassroots part.
Tea Partier and Occupier in unison: Shut up commie/fascist!

Well at least now we wont have to hear denial that the Kochs fund the Tea Party.

Your "proof" is EXACTLY the same mechanism by which Koch money gets to the Tea Party through AFP.

I think you're desperately trying to not realize we're not dwaling with rich people but TEAMS of rich people.

The funny thing is, if you look at it a little closer you will realize that both teams have the same coach. Tides Foundation, the money laundering operation that funnels some Soros money, also receives nearly $10 million from named Rockefeller interests. David Koch, who we all know is one of the chief financial backers of the Tea Party, sits on the Rockefeller University board of trustees.

What doesn't seem to be known is - if Soros provides financial backing for OSW - how the money was/is allocated within OSW. First we heard, ad nauseum, that OSW is nothing but a disorganized mob of people who haven't a clue as to what they want. We heard people droning on and on about the leaderless mob with no agenda was made up of drug addicts, street people, and 20 something airheads. Now we hear that Soros' money is behind OWS. How does one provide money to a disorganized leaderless mob that has no agenda?

Except it isn't really disorganized at all. There is no public face for sure, but that is kind of the point. It cannot actually look like someone is leading because then the illusion of a mass movement would be more difficult to maintain. Rather the organizing and leading of the movement takes place in more indirect ways.

What kind of blows my mind is that they are using the Arab Spring as a rallying ideal. Let's kick the ballistics for a moment. The National Endowment for Democracy (effectively a state-funded group that took over CIA coup operations) through the International Republican Institute and National Democratic Institute, each affiliated with our two major political parties, provided all the training the leaders of the Arab Spring needed to overthrow the governments of Tunisia and Egypt. In so doing it created a revolutionary wave that has allowed for the United States to remove Gadafhi, long a thorn in the side of American imperial interests; destabilize Yemen allowing for expanded CIA kill operations, including ones that claim the lives of American citizens; and may even provide the much-sought spark for war with Iran should the situation in Syria develop in a way that allows it.

Elsewhere, the financial situation in Europe has caused severe instability and massive protests that have also been spiritually linked with the Arab Spring by mass media. Then here in the United States you have people connected to the SEIU and ACORN (or its successors), big organizational backers of President Obama, expounding on the need for an "Arab Spring" in the United States. Now you have Soros, one of the major private funders of the NED whose Open Society Institute has been directly implicated in the NED coup operation in Georgia and big player in aggravating the Greek situation, providing financial support to the group that initiates the Occupy Wall Street movement.

In effect the entire situation has been orchestrated in such a way that the powers that be could basically overthrow or destabilize just about any government in the world, including our own, they want without anyone seeing a nefarious purpose behind it. You gotta admire the genius of these machinations.

Thank God it isn't the Koch Brothers and other various corporate sponsors who funded the Tea Party!!

Yes, we wouldn't want to have to make that arguement and then try and defend the accusations here would we? It's a good thing nobody tries to dismiss an entire organization because of those who donate to it alone.

Looks like something we can all agree to?

They likely have donated to it just as Soros has done here. What's the big deal?

And they were slammed endlessly for that, no?

Much of it is all the same message. It's too bad that ones politics makes it impossible for them to see that.

you mean "donated" as how Beck defines "donated"..

I do not know if that is supposed to be a question directed towards me or some sort of rhetorical statement. Either way, I have no idea what the point is supposed to be.

I do not know if that is supposed to be a question directed towards me or some sort of rhetorical statement. Either way, I have no idea what the point is supposed to be.

As Frolocking Dinasoures said, "So Soros donated $3.5M to TIDES, a business that distributes grants to liberal non-profits groups that is also partnered with the Ford Foundation and Gates Foundation and TIDES gave Adbusters grants of $185,000 from 2001-2010, including nearly $26,000 between 2007-2009. And you want to use that to make it appear that Soros is directly funding OWS?"

As Frolocking Dinasoures said, "So Soros donated $3.5M to TIDES, a business that distributes grants to liberal non-profits groups that is also partnered with the Ford Foundation and Gates Foundation and TIDES gave Adbusters grants of $185,000 from 2001-2010, including nearly $26,000 between 2007-2009. And you want to use that to make it appear that Soros is directly funding OWS?"

I think you need to re-read what my arguements have been.

Isn't the point of the OP's article that the connection is not direct?

"Conservative critics contend the movement is a Trojan horse for a secret Soros agenda.

Soros and the protesters deny any connection. But Reuters did find indirect financial links between Soros and Adbusters, an anti-capitalist group in Canada which started the protests with an inventive marketing campaign aimed at sparking an Arab Spring type uprising against Wall Street."

Isn't the point of the OP's article that the connection is not direct?

"Conservative critics contend the movement is a Trojan horse for a secret Soros agenda.

Soros and the protesters deny any connection. But Reuters did find indirect financial links between Soros and Adbusters, an anti-capitalist group in Canada which started the protests with an inventive marketing campaign aimed at sparking an Arab Spring type uprising against Wall Street."

That is a terrible connection.... So Soros at one point gave 3.5 mil to the TIDES who is partnered with the Ford Foundation and Gates and TIDES at one point gave Adbusters grants of 185 G's from 2001-20010....

I'm more interested in the fact that Soros is indirectly financing a group of people who hate his job and anything connected to his job. In fact, it's hilarious. Good on Soros. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
This person...and I use that word with trepidation for it is doubtful that a heart beats within...has an agenda that includes destroying America and any capitalist country. You will find his fingerprints everywhere, from England to Greece. He personally toppled England's system and admitted it and he is going to pay the piper, eventually. Hopefully it is before we all end up homeless.

Back
Top Bottom