• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Reuters Admits Cropping Photos of Ship Clash, Denies Political Motive

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Didn't Rueters do something similar before?

FOXNews.com - Reuters Admits Cropping Photos of Ship Clash, Denies Political Motive
Cropped%20Image-Reuters%201_doomsday_604x341.JPG
The British-based Reuters news agency has been stung for the second time by charges that it edited politically sensitive photos in a way that casts Israel in a bad light. But this time Reuters claims it wasn’t at fault.

The news agency reacted to questions raised by an American blogger who showed that Reuters' photo service edited out knives and blood traces from pictures taken aboard the activist ship Mavi Marmara during a clash with Israeli commandos last week. Nine people were killed and scores were injured in the clash.

The pictures of the fight were released by IHH, the Turkish-based group that sponsored the six-ship fleet that tried to break Israel's blockade of Gaza.

In one photo, an Israeli commando is shown lying on the deck of the ship, surrounded by activists. The uncut photo released by IHH shows the hand of an unidentified activist holding a knife. But in the Reuters photo, the hand is visible but the knife has been edited out.

The blog “Little Green Footballs” challenged Reuters' editing of the photo.

“That’s a very interesting way to crop the photo. Most people would consider that knife an important part of the context. There was a huge controversy over whether the activists were armed. Cropping out a knife, in a picture showing a soldier who’s apparently been stabbed, seems like a very odd editorial decision. Unless someone was trying to hide it,” the blog stated.

In a second photo the unedited print issued by IHH showed blood along the ship's railing and a hand holding a knife as an Israeli soldier lies on the deck. Both the blood and the knife were missing in the photo that Reuters released.

Absolutely intentional. Really makes you wonder about what they've done before and not been caught.

If this is only the second or third time I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to Reuters and saying that is might have been an honest mistake. Although if they have a long history of doing things like this than shame on them and it would be hard to disprove the fact it might have been political.

If this is only the second or third time I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to Reuters and saying that is might have been an honest mistake. Although if they have a long history of doing things like this than shame on them and it would be hard to disprove the fact it might have been political.

I don't know how anyone can look at the two photos and not think it was cropped intentionally. This is simply one more example of why you can't trust the media.

Their classic propaganda move is to take a picture of some rubble into which they have placed a teddy bear or other child's toy.They are despicable.

No wonder so many Brits are antisemitic.

Wow- I had no idea- thanks for posting! This move on the part of a major media outlet disgusts me.

I didn't even recognize it as a knife. Are seriously arguing we somehow see the event differently? What, the soldier did it to himself if we don't see the knife? I think some just try to hard to make little things seem to be bigger than they are.

I didn't even recognize it as a knife. Are seriously arguing we somehow see the event differently? What, the soldier did it to himself if we don't see the knife? I think some just try to hard to make little things seem to be bigger than they are.

Quite

We see the soldier is injured, given the other information we know that the injury would have come from the people on board the ship

In fact having the person with the knife standing where he is actually makes the image less damaging.

In the full image we have a person with a knife standing by the injured soldier. He is not lunging to finish the job, if the person with the knife wanted to kill the Israeli soldier the photo indicates he would have had the opportunity to do it.

Quite

We see the soldier is injured, given the other information we know that the injury would have come from the people on board the ship

In fact having the person with the knife standing where he is actually makes the image less damaging.

In the full image we have a person with a knife standing by the injured soldier. He is not lunging to finish the job, if the person with the knife wanted to kill the Israeli soldier the photo indicates he would have had the opportunity to do it.

I'm sure the Islamist attackers will be grateful for your support, and your justification for this disgusting falsification towards that end.

LOL Fox News calling out Reuters .. now that is irony on a cosmic level.

Seriously? Have you been paying attention. They claimed to be a peace ship, and now you want to argue two seperate excuses? Rather pathetic dood. :roll:

I'm sure the Islamist attackers will be grateful for your support, and your justification for this disgusting falsification towards that end.

Yea unlike you who believe every word that comes out of the IDF and the pro-Israeli lobby.. like Israel does not torture.. ups,.. Or Israel does not use human shields.. ups...

Didn't Rueters do something similar before?

No that was Fox News.. in fact they did it many times, and in fact used false footage and worse. But hey dont let the facts get in your way.

So nothing on the cropping Pete?

It happens all the time, and Fox News does it constantly when it is not using wrong pictures, or false footage to prove its "facts". Hence, it is ironic like hell that Fox News is calling out Reuters like this. Just shows how biased Fox News is, by using any and all means to "prove" that the IDF is right and the activists are terrorists.. Fox News and facts are an oxymoron.

I dont know if it was done intentionally or not but one question I do have to ask is how does including or excluding a knife mean they are trying to cast Israel in a bad light? A knife is a knife, there's nothing about the knife itself to suggest it was owned or used by either side. So looking at the picture I don't see anything that would conclusively tell me that knife was used by the ship's personnel or its an Israeli knife. So if it was the intention of Reuters going into this story to report it in a manner biased against Israel, cutting out a knife that could have come from anywhere doesn't really mean that much.

I couldn't see how someone looking at this picture and, even if they even noticed the knife, having a change of opinion either from pro-Israeli or neutral to anti-Israeli or doubting of Israel's story or even a weakening of their opinion of Israel or Israel's actions. So in other words, I would be inclined to believe Reuters was not attempting any bias or to sway anyone's opinion by doctoring photos simply because if this was the limit of their action towards that goal, than its such a small and perhaps totally ineffective action that it wouldn't by worth the effort and potential fallout unless it was only part of a larger plan/action. I won't be convinced its a conspiracy on the part of Reuters, or someone within Reuters, until more evidence comes up.

Yea unlike you who believe every word that comes out of the IDF and the pro-Israeli lobby.. like Israel does not torture.. ups,.. Or Israel does not use human shields.. ups...

Hamas tortures and uses human shields, we have definitive proof of that. I would rather trust an ally of my country that happens to be a liberal democracy with freedom for all citizens over some theocratic terrorist organization who's goal is to kill all the Jews.

It happens all the time, and Fox News does it constantly when it is not using wrong pictures, or false footage to prove its "facts". Hence, it is ironic like hell that Fox News is calling out Reuters like this. Just shows how biased Fox News is, by using any and all means to "prove" that the IDF is right and the activists are terrorists.. Fox News and facts are an oxymoron.

:spin::spin::spin:

Israel doesn't do any of those.

Hamas tortures and uses human shields, we have definitive proof of that. I would rather trust an ally of my country that happens to be a liberal democracy with freedom for all citizens over some theocratic terrorist organization who's goal is to kill all the Jews.

The IDF admits it tortures and has been caught on camera using human shields. As for the definite proof of Hamas ... where?

And how about not trusting ANY of them?

The IDF admits it tortures and has been caught on camera using human shields.
There was never made an order by IDF officials to their soldiers to torture/use human shields.
In fact the IDF severely punishes soldiers that use "neighbor procedure", which means telling a civilian to open doors and stuff like that.

You and facts are an oxymoron. :shrug:

Seriously, this thread is about Reuters doctoring photos, and all you can do is mouth foam over fox news... Pathetic but expected.

What a stupid and dishonest straw man. I have never made either comment.

What a stupid and dishonest straw man. I have never made either comment.

I think that right now Pete is on a barrage of hatred.
Should he be ignored? I do not know.
But let us center on the Reuters cropping anyway.

Back
Top Bottom