• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Return to the Moon?

Should we go back to the Moon?

• Yes.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • No.

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters
talloulou said:
Did we really land on the moon the first time? That's one conspiracy theory I think might actually have some merit. I sorta side with the "we faked it" crowd.

Thats when you tell them

"too bad we left A cutting-edge science experiment left behind in the Sea of Tranquility by Apollo 11 astronauts is still running today"

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/21jul_llr.htm

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Why?

Why would we fake it, when we can do it?

Why would you believe the looney conspiracy people about anything?

Believe it or not but on the news 2 or 3 years ago I watched 3 guys claim the world was flat!.
no chit....I'm not making it up.

They believed the curvature on the earth was a distortion on light from the sun...:wow:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=flat+earth&btnG=Search

cherokee said:
Thats when you tell them

"too bad we left A cutting-edge science experiment left behind in the Sea of Tranquility by Apollo 11 astronauts is still running today"

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/21jul_llr.htm

Yeah the fact that we can ping lasers off that equipment is unfortunately the only real valid PROOF nasa offers but sadly the Russias dropped similar probing equipment on the moon and there is no proof that we are pinging lasars off the stuff we supposedly left up there on our manned outing or the stuff the russians left up there on their unmanned landings. Noone questions or doubts the fact that Russians landed a probe on the moon with reflective surfaces. Too bad. "Cause I for one would really like proof.

Furthermore since the Russian put reflective surfaces up there on unmanned missions its completely possible we did the same on unmanned missions vs manned missions.

Last edited:
Here is another problem I have.

Here is a link where NASA discussed the problems with radiation in the moon on future manned moon landings.

They talk about how it will be a problem for someone staying more than a couple of days. But you know radiation for a day or so is fine thats why we could walk on the moon before......yeah right!

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/08sep_radioactivemoon.htm

"We really need to know more about the radiation environment on the Moon, especially if people will be staying there for more than just a few days," says Harlan Spence, a professor of astronomy at Boston University."

-yeah if you're just quickly dropping off your flag and getting out theres no need to worry!

Any nut can come up with a conspiracy like the Lunar landings but did that person take into account that thousands of people worked on the Moon Missions including my Aunt who worked for NASA for 33 years.
My point is everyone at NASA would have been lying…Now just think about that. How in gods name can you keep a secret between 10 thousand people when you can keep one within a group of 5?

talloulou said:
Here is another problem I have.

Here is a link where NASA discussed the problems with radiation in the moon on future manned moon landings.

They talk about how it will be a problem for someone staying more than a couple of days. But you know radiation for a day or so is fine thats why we could walk on the moon before......yeah right!

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/08sep_radioactivemoon.htm

"We really need to know more about the radiation environment on the Moon, especially if people will be staying there for more than just a few days," says Harlan Spence, a professor of astronomy at Boston University."

-yeah if you're just quickly dropping off your flag and getting out theres no need to worry!

Radiation exposure is a problem for anyone leaving the protective “cover” of earth magnetic fields But we will develop protective material to better shield them.

cherokee said:
Any nut can come up with a conspiracy like the Lunar landings but did that person take into account that thousands of people worked on the Moon Missions including my Aunt who worked for NASA for 33 years.

There are thousands of people working for the government and I have no doubt the government keeps secrets.

My point is everyone at NASA would have been lying…Now just think about that. How in gods name can you keep a secret between 10 thousand people when you can keep one within a group of 5?
Not everyone knows the secret....that's how. What is interesting to me is NASA spends alot of time on their website trying to debunk the moon hoax theory vs just ignoring it as the delusions of crackpots. Even more interesting, they don't do a good job at debunking it.

But, why do that when it would be so easy to prove? Just send a rover up there and send pictures back of all the crap we left up there? Why not? So easy to do. Do you know at one point NASA was gonna write a book and have it put out by NASA proving the moon landings took place and then it was decided that wasn't a good idea? Why? 'Cause they have no proof. Even on their website their biggest proof is moon rocks. And moon rocks could easily be scoped up on nonmanned missions. Plus how do you prove or disprove rock came from the moon.

NASA needs to prove they went to the moon and if they did then it should be easy. But so far they haven't.

Wouldn't you be interested in a rover that sent back pictures of the debris, flag, ect we left up there? We could see all the Russian debris too. Why not?

In my mind it is very SHEEP like to believe what you are told when you have some reason to doubt.

Last edited:
talloulou said:
There are thousands of people working for the government and I have no doubt the government keeps secrets.

Not everyone knows the secret....that's how. What is interesting to me is NASA spends alot of time on their website trying to debunk the moon hoax theory vs just ignoring it as the delusions of crackpots. Even more interesting, they don't do a good job at debunking it.

But, why do that when it would be so easy to prove? Just send a rover up there and send pictures back of all the crap we left up there? Why not? So easy to do. Do you know at one point NASA was gonna write a book and have it put out by NASA proving the moon landings took place and then it was decided that wasn't a good idea? Why? 'Cause they have no proof. Even on their website their biggest proof is moon rocks. And moon rocks could easily be scoped up on nonmanned missions. Plus how do you prove or disprove rock came from the moon.

NASA needs to prove they went to the moon and if they did then it should be easy. But so far they haven't.

Wouldn't you be interested in a rover that sent back pictures of the debris, flag, ect we left up there? We could see all the Russian debris too. Why not?

Look we will return to the moon.
And just for the wacko's that think the US faked the missions they will film it BUT who's to say they (New Missions) just didn’t throw out junk and film it?..huh?

That’s what the conspiracy people will then claim...

I for one believe we did land on the moon several times...I really don’t care what others think about it...:shrug:

cherokee said:
Look we will return to the moon.
And just for the wacko's that think the US faked the missions they will film it BUT who's to say they (New Missions) just didn’t throw out junk and film it?..huh?
Obviously I'm sure people will question whether they throw out junk and film it to prove the previous moon landings. However I do think they would have a harder time faking a moon landing today. So I for one would just be happy if they returned to the moon as that would mean we really could land and walk on the moon. Once we prove we can really do it beyond a shadow of doubt then I for one won't care whether we did it before or not.

And for what it's worth I enjoy people who question what they are told. Questioning what you are told when there's some legit reason to question it does not in itself make you a wacko.

NASA couldn't have faked the gravitational phenomena visible in the Apollo videos.

talloulou And for what it's worth I enjoy people who question what they are told. Questioning what you are told when there's some legit reason to question it does not in itself make you a wacko.[/QUOTE said:
No it doesn’t make me a wacko. People who believe we faked it are...
Funny thing about the conspiracy people just how many of them are REAL scientist?
Next,
most of those same people believe in Bigfoot and the lock ness..
Can we see the pattern?

We can go back and forth at this all day, nothing will change...
If you want 100% proof yourself, build a rocket and fly to the moon and see for yourself.....

Here's a good article if you aren't interested in doing alot of research. It really lays out the Russian space programs achievements in relation to ours....

"Russian Cosmonaut Boris Volynov has gone on record saying that he does not believe that Americans landed on the moon"

http://english.pravda.ru/mailbox/22/98/387/11928_space.html

cherokee said:
No it doesn’t make me a wacko. People who believe we faked it are...
Funny thing about the conspiracy people just how many of them are REAL scientist?
Next,
most of those same people believe in Bigfoot and the lock ness..
Can we see the pattern?
There are very intelligent people who believe the moon landings were a hoax including Russian astronauts. Why weren't buzz aldrin and neil armstrong more vocal. They seemed to stay in hiding alot vs doing tons of interviews.

Here's an article that talks about how Russia may have someone walk on the moon by 2012. And Bush is talking about "returning to the moon." Maybe this is the real moon race.

"We could land (on the Moon) as soon as by 2012 or 2014 with the help of Soyuz spacecraft”

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/11/24/moon.shtml

"Sources tell CNN the target for returning to the moon is about 15 years from now. "

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/12/04/us.moon/index.html

Why will it take 15 years to repeat something we supposedly did over 30 yrs. ago? How does that make sense?

Plus Russias time period for doing it is shorter than ours so maybe we better call hollywood again!

Last edited:
talloulou said:
Well why wouldn't they just send a rover to the moon to point out the crap we left up there and shut up the conspiracy theorists once and for all?

Because it's not worth five hundred million dollars to give the crazies yet something else to point out is a lie. What, you think those fools wouldn't claim any such video isn't faked?

talloulou said:
Why would they give up exploring the moon so quickly?

Because the surrender monkeys that dragged us into the war in Vietnam had decided that they'd rather spend them money on useless social engineering programs on earth. The mood of the country changed after we succeeded in landing men on the moon and the program was dying before the last flight was done. There were only 17 Apollos, there were supposed to be 20.

talloulou said:
If we could land on the moon why wouldn't we explore it to its fullest?

Here, pick any dozen people you want. Send them to North America, a totally pristine place we'll assume isn't populated. Give each pair of them enough food and water to go anyplace...for two days, and then they have to come back and tell us all about it.

That's what we were doing with the moon.

talloulou said:
Why wouldn't we map it all out and learn everything possible to learn about it? Why wouldn't we try to build something on the moon?

Money. Will. Profit potential?

talloulou said:
If we really landed on the moon then it is my opinion that our space program has been working backwards vs forwards for the last couple of decades and why would we do that?

Surrender monkeys. Liberals. Politicians in general.

talloulou said:
But here is my biggest question: Why would the Russians give up?

Because they lost the race. And they lost it badly. With a five year head start, we beat their pants off.

Money.

And it was about showing technical prowess, and in the end they came out second best.

talloulou said:
Why would we have a race to the moon and the Russians would just say fine you win now we don't need to bother even going?

They were really embarassed. They were sending turtles one way, we were sending men on round trips, and bringing back souvenirs.

talloulou said:
Wouldn't they still want to get their flag up there too?

So we could laugh even harder? No. They decided to downplay the significance of the event.

talloulou said:
And I have to say from all my research the idea that we faked the moon landings has a "truer" ring to it than not.

Well, it's possible to draw that conclusion when you're ignorant of what happened, what was involved. I'm not.

I voted Yes, because first I think we need a moon journey just to prep up for our trip to Mars, and for our colonization. I think that we should start a program that will enable us to create a successful moon colony and put a man on Mars within the next 25 years. Space exploration is very important.

Hmm. I think that we should return to the moon (if we ever went there in the first place, which I think we did, as opposed to some other people).

I think that there must be some scientific uses for the moon, like research in low gravity, telescopes that don't have atmosphere interfering with their views, a launching place for probes other than earth which requires less fuel to leave the gravity well, etc, etc, for whatever anyone can think of.

Of course, that would all require funds, some of which will directly or indirectly come from taxpayer's pockets.
If at all possible it would seem reasonable to make a trip to the moon pay for itself. Though this would probably be impossible for a bit (starting costs and all that).

Some people have thought up ideas for putting resort-type vacation spots on the moon, others have thought of putting science stations on the moon, but it would seem that some combination of these ideas would be better.

I'll admit that I am a sci-fi fan of sorts, so any science-type thing (like something to do with space), is always interesting to me and I will probably get excited about it.

However, it would be interesting to see some group of people come up with a financially attractive plan for returning to the moon.

Paying for all of it does not appeal to me, but it would seem reasonable that the government have some stake in it at least.

Last edited:
"Russian Cosmonaut Boris Volynov has gone on record saying that he does not believe that Americans landed on the moon"
http://english.pravda.ru/mailbox/22/...928_space.html

And you expect anything less from the people who lost the space race?

There are very intelligent people who believe the moon landings were a hoax including Russian astronauts. Why weren't buzz aldrin and neil armstrong more vocal. They seemed to stay in hiding alot vs doing tons of interviews.

Real scientists…Not wannabe's
Sorry but they did do interviews but also remember after they returned from the MOON they didn’t quit NASA….
”Hmmm do I give TV interviews or do I keep doing the job I love?”

Here's an article that talks about how Russia may have someone walk on the moon by 2012. And Bush is talking about "returning to the moon." Maybe this is the real moon race. "We could land (on the Moon) as soon as by 2012 or 2014 with the help of Soyuz spacecraft”…

Good then they can take pics of our space junk..LOL..
Wont happen, They don’t have the money…

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/11/24/moon.shtml

"Sources tell CNN the target for returning to the moon is about 15 years from now. "

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/1...oon/index.html

Plus Russias time period for doing it is shorter than ours so maybe we better call hollywood again!

And how many Russians DIED just trying to reach earth’s orbit?....

This is the last time I’m reply to your post. But feel good with yourself because in a poll
(99 or 00) only 6% thought the Lunar Landings where a fake.

Like I said before
If you want 100% proof yourself, build a rocket and fly to the moon and see for yourself.....:roll:

MidwestLiberal said:
I voted Yes, because first I think we need a moon journey just to prep up for our trip to Mars, and for our colonization. I think that we should start a program that will enable us to create a successful moon colony and put a man on Mars within the next 25 years. Space exploration is very important.

Yes it is....Using the Moon as a staging area and proving grounds and anything else we can think of..lol...

Last edited:
mark.....I'll admit that I am a sci-fi fan of sorts, so any science-type thing (like something to do with space), is always interesting to me and I will probably get excited about it.

Good points Mark.

Nothing wrong with being a sci-fi fan....
Star Trek, Lost In space, Star Wars and others have inspired a
whole generation of scientists and explores.....;)

talloulou said:
Do you know that TV show myth busters got tons of requests for them to debunk the conspiracy theory that the moon landings were faked. And they came to the conclusion that the only way they could prove/disprove the lunar landings would be to actually go to the moon and retrieve something left from the last landing. :rofl But they did do extensive reseach because that was one of their favorite myths that they would love to prove/disprove. They just can't.

Conspiracy theories (complete misuse of the word "theory", by the way) are
very much like ID and creationist "theories": No evidence, lots of suggestion,
specious arguments, and constant repetition of fake facts. No matter how
often or carefully you show their arguments to be baseless, they continue to
claim they are correct.

There was a TV program here last night, with Buzz Aldrin was taking part, on
the subject of the moon landings. It went through the "proofs" of the "we
faked it" brigade and showed them all to be wanting.

cherokee said:
But feel good with yourself because in a poll
(99 or 00) only 6% thought the Lunar Landings where a fake.

Hey I never say I believe 100% full on that we never stepped foot on the moon. I do think that it's quite POSSIBLE we never did though.

And what do you mean feel good with yourself....only 6% believe....

who gives a s-hit what 94% of Americans believe. A good percent of them wouldn't be able to name the galaxy they live in, the planets, or the order of the planets from the sun.

However since my ideas seem very unwanted and disrespected I'll shut the hell up about them for you......at least in this thread.

talloulou said:
Hey I never say I believe 100% full on that we never stepped foot on the moon. I do think that it's quite POSSIBLE we never did though.

And what do you mean feel good with yourself....only 6% believe....

who gives a s-hit what 94% of Americans believe. A good percent of them wouldn't be able to name the galaxy they live in, the planets, or the order of the planets from the sun.

However since my ideas seem very unwanted and disrespected I'll shut the hell up about them for you......at least in this thread.

Here check out this web site...
http://www.apollo-hoax.me.uk/homepage.html

cherokee said:

See you're still trying to convice me when I was willing to let it go.

Let me just reassure you by telling you I'm not a moron who just read the hoax sides and bought them hook, line, and sinker. I've read them all and I've read all the rebuttals.

Have you ever seen that Life in Space book put out by Time Life? They have a few pictures in that book from NASA showing moon walk shots pulled back so you can see that they are taken in a studio with lights overhead and the whole bit. NASA doesn't deny these shots. They say these were "practice" shots done here on Earth. I am all in to believing that they would practice but they are clearly going for a "real look" in those shots. NASA doesn't claim they never took shots in a studio they just claim they ALSO took shots on the moon. I'm just not sure I believe them.

Back
Top Bottom