• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Retired admiral who oversaw bin Laden raid defends McChrystal after Trump attack

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Retired admiral who oversaw bin Laden raid defends McChrystal after Trump attack

26122fc93faadb45f441ae0bceb688dd.jpg

Adm. William McRaven. Commanded the Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC).

1/2/19
Retired Adm. William McRaven on Tuesday defended retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal after his former colleague was the target of a critical tweet from President Trump, saying that "no general I know has given more in the service of this country." In a statement to CNN, McRaven praised McChrystal as "one of the great generals of this generation and the finest officer I ever served with" after Trump blasted the general as a "Hillary lover" with a "big, dumb mouth." "He is a deep strategic thinker, tactically brilliant, with unparalleled personal courage," McRaven told CNN of McChrystal. "His leadership of special operations forces in Iraq and Afghanistan unquestionably saved the lives of thousands of American and allied troops, as well as countless civilians. No general I know has given more in the service of this country." McChrystal came to McRaven's defense in November after the president derided McRaven as a "Hillary Clinton fan," and criticized how long it took to kill Osama bin Laden. McRaven, who oversaw the mission that took down bin Laden, has expressed concern about Trump's treatment of the press. McChrystal called the president's comments about McRaven "simply wrong" and "uninformed."

Commander ChickenSpurs is woefully out of his league here.

Related: Retired Gen. David Petraeus Says He Wouldn't Serve in the Trump Administration

26122fc93faadb45f441ae0bceb688dd.jpg

Adm. William McRaven. Commanded the Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC).

Commander ChickenSpurs is woefully out of his league here.

Related: Retired Gen. David Petraeus Says He Wouldn't Serve in the Trump Administration

Trump is just doubling down on his hatred for anyone who served this country. The Republicans don't care that he attacked POWs, generals with stellar careers, etc. They obviously hate the military now too. Just like Trump and his loyal band of followers.

Trump is just doubling down on his hatred for anyone who served this country. The Republicans don't care that he attacked POWs, generals with stellar careers, etc. They obviously hate the military now too. Just like Trump and his loyal band of followers.

Which again goes to prove that the Republicans know of no depth to which they will not sink to defend this scum of the earth.

So...McRaven is defending a General who has violated the UCMJ.

Why would anyone listen to him?

Trump couldn't carry their epaulets.

Can you imagine a Democratic presidential ticket with McCraven or Kelly or Mattis on it? I suspect these guys have too much integrity to get into that mud, but I can dream, can't I?

While it is not a constitutional requirement, I've always felt that military service, particularly combat service is a big plus in my eyes. One of the most serious presidential duties is to send men and women into harm's way. I want someone who understands at the gut level what that means.

You might want to check your facts on that. You know, "fake news" and all that.

Why would anyone listen to him?

It must be exhausting having to come up with a bull**** excuse to ignore military officers whom you lot used to loudly bash Obama every time one of them criticizes the orange douche.

You might want to check your facts on that. You know, "fake news" and all that.

Tell me the "facts" if you dispute what I say. Otherwise, don't bother me with your nonsense.

The GOP used to be the party of the military.

Now that's gone also. Really, there's not much they stand for anymore except taking care of the wealthy, defending Trump at all costs, and placing party above country.

That about covers it.

Tell me the "facts" if you dispute what I say. Otherwise, don't bother me with your nonsense.

OK, I gave you a chance. You didn't take it. Here are the facts. YOU stand corrected.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/apr/18/mcchrystal-investigation-cleared

A few quotes from the Pentagon investigation.

A Pentagon investigation has found insufficient evidence that General Stanley McChrystal, the former US and Nato commander in Afghanistan sacked by Barack Obama last year, violated military policy.

McChrystal's dismissal came after publication of an article in Rolling Stone, The Runaway General, which portrayed him and his inner circle as being out of control, and making contemptuous and dismissive remarks about the US civilian leadership.

It also included a colourful account of a boisterous party in an Irish bar in Paris.

The investigation, carried out by the Pentagon's office of inspector general, concluded: "The evidence was insufficient to substantiate a violation of applicable department of defense standards with respect to any of the incidents on which we focused. Not all of the events at issue occurred as reported in the article."

"In some instances, we found no witness who acknowledged making or hearing the comments as reported. "

No evidence was found that McChrystal said that he was disappointed with Obama on first meeting him. With regard to the behaviour of him and his staff at the Irish bar in Paris, Kitty O'Shea's, the report said: "Our analysis of witness testimony led us to conclude that the behaviour of General McChrystal and his staff at Kitty O'Shea's, while celebratory, was not drunken, disorderly, disgraceful, or offensive. Their conduct did not violate any department of defense standards."

It found no evidence that one of McChrystal's team had called the White House national security adviser a clown.

In other words, McChrystal did not violate the UCMJ. Facts.

These generals have sold out. They've totally forgotten what they took an oath to defend.

These generals have sold out. They've totally forgotten what they took an oath to defend.

I wish someone would go out and re-poll those 88 retired generals and admirals who endorsed Trump during the campaign. How many do you think are still on board with that endorsement?

I wish someone would go out and re-poll those 88 retired generals and admirals who endorsed Trump during the campaign. How many do you think are still on board with that endorsement?

How many of them have we heard trashing President Trump?

How many of them have we heard trashing President Trump?

I imagine most of them are extremely embarrassed and would not want their unfortunate decision to be brought up again.
We know this: They are NOT out there beating the drum for Trump. If they were, FAUX News would be all over it.

I imagine most of them are extremely embarrassed and would not want their unfortunate decision to be brought up again.
We know this: They are NOT out there beating the drum for Trump. If they were, FAUX News would be all over it.

General Boykin doesn't seem to be embarrassed.

General Boykin lists President Trump?s accomplishments

You wouldn't know it, if they were beating the drum for him, because I bet you can't name any of them without googling. General Boykin doesn't count. I gave you that one for free.

General Boykin doesn't seem to be embarrassed.

General Boykin lists President Trump?s accomplishments

You wouldn't know it, if they were beating the drum for him, because I bet you can't name any of them without googling. General Boykin doesn't count. I gave you that one for free.

Very good! You found one who is still on board. Well done!

It's an accomplishment that Trump got so many retired general officers' endorsement. No other candidate has ever gotten so many of such endorsements. That's big feather in Trump's cap.

That would actually be a very interesting survey. After all, every retired General Officer he brought on to his administration has been fired or quit.

Back
Top Bottom