• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Responding to N. Korea launch, U.S. Army fires strike missile in demonstration

Cisero

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left

As North Korea continues to test it's military power, the USA & SK are preparing and conducting drills in order to respond to an attack from Pyongyang.

From the article :

North Korea’s test-launch of a missile capable of reaching the United States drew a swift reaction from the U.S. Army and South Korean military, which in turn launched at least two surface-to-surface missiles as a demonstration of their attack capability.

This leaves me with mixed feelings.

On one hand, I'm glad the military are preparing to counterattack in case NK attacks. NK missile tests are growing in frequency and apparently their technology is improving. It seems wise to practice in case a missile really is fired towards the States.

On the other hand, I feel like these drills are a show of force that do nothing other than add oil to the fire. It's starting to look like a chest-puffing duel. I don't think we want to enrage Kim Jong who is a megalomaniac petulant child... who knows what he would do in order to prove he's better than us ?

Thoughts ?

As North Korea continues to test it's military power, the USA & SK are preparing and conducting drills in order to respond to an attack from Pyongyang.

From the article :

On one hand, I'm glad the military are preparing to counterattack in case NK attacks. NK missile tests are growing in frequency and apparently their technology is improving. It seems wise to practice in case a missile really is fired towards the States.

On the other hand, I feel like these drills are a show of force that do nothing other than add oil to the fire. It's starting to look like a chest-puffing duel. I don't think we want to enrage Kim Jong who is a megalomaniac petulant child... who knows what he would do in order to prove he's better than us ?

Thoughts ?
I really don't see the point. They already know what we can do, we've demonstrated it several times.

Then again, I guess it's a sort of childish game that must be played, lest the other side get too cocky, and portray it as a sign of weakness, or something. *sigh*

Watching a Childlike Idiot try to become a Leader can be Comical and Dangerous.

Now try to figure out which Child I'm referring to. :2razz:

Well it can't be Trump nor Kim Jong, because they both already are at the head of their respectful countries.
Now if you're saying that one of them is acting like a child that's a different story.

Well it can't be Trump nor Kim Jong, because they both already are at the head of their respectful countries.
Now if you're saying that one of them is acting like a child that's a different story.

No where in my statement did I say anything about them being the head of their respectful countries.

That's not Leadership

No where in my statement did I say anything about them being the head of their respectful countries.

That's not Leadership

I don't want to get into the details and I hate being the one to ressort to a dictionary... but :

leader.PNG

Synonyms of leader : chief, commander, director, head, manager

Donald Trump is the chosen leader of the United States. Do people follow him or obey his commands ? That's a different story.

Anyway, this is not at all the point of the thread. I was hoping to talk about the growing tension & threat of war with North Korea. We don't need another Trump bashing thread, there sure are enough already. Maybe, I don't know... focus on his policies instead of calling him a man child ?

I don't want to get into the details and I hate being the one to ressort to a dictionary... but :

View attachment 67219626

Synonyms of leader : chief, commander, director, head, manager

Donald Trump is the chosen leader of the United States. Do people follow him or obey his commands ? That's a different story.

Anyway, this is not at all the point of the thread. I was hoping to talk about the growing tension & threat of war with North Korea. We don't need another Trump bashing thread, there sure are enough already. Maybe, I don't know... focus on his policies instead of calling him a man child ?

North Korea has shot off more Missiles in 6 Months than the previous 2 North Korea LEADERS combined.

Hows that Leadership working out 4-yea ... ?

You may want to Google that also .... ~respectfully ;)

//Check/Mate//

North Korea has shot off more Missiles in 6 Months than the previous 2 North Korea LEADERS combined.

//Check/Mate//

I don't understand what your point is, but ok I guess.

From the article :

Thoughts ?

I don't think a counterattack is so important as deciding on what we want to do. Nobody thinks that the US cannot second or even first strike the North Koreans. Everyone is wondering about American savvy and resolve.

You really think some posters on DP are trying to become leaders?

You really think some posters on DP are trying to become leaders?

Well we know, North Korea was playing nice for 8 years (NO Nuclear Enrichment or Ballistic Testing) ...

Then came along Bush and his Dick to nullify the treaty and well ... we're seeing the fruits of that labor.

//Check/Mate//

*Maybe*, it took them this long to get to the point where they could. :shrug:

Well we know, North Korea was playing nice for 8 years (NO Nuclear Enrichment or Ballistic Testing) ...

Then came along Bush and his Dick to nullify the treaty and well ... we're seeing the fruits of that labor.

LOL

We all know it took a while for NK to put the technology President Clinton gave it to use.

CLINTON APPROVES A PLAN TO GIVE AID TO NORTH KOREANS - NYTimes.com

Ooops!

Kind of vaporizes the alt-left narrative it has trained it's followers to believe.

Have I missed anyone in the media mention the "A" word(*) yet?
If they haven't it's a matter of time.

(*) Assassination of Un, that is.

From the article :

Thoughts ?
I am not sure of the objectives of conducting a drill. In any of these actions one must assume that the parties are acting rationally. Assuming that, the intercontinental missile that NK tested is clearly designed as a deterrent. It wouldn't be used for any other reason because of the U.S. nuclear response. That missile can hit Alaska, according to reports, but not California.

My view is that there is limited military options that will not risk getting thousands of S.K's killed.

Yea those gosh darn treaties :lamo

So here's a good idea, let's abolish the treaty and have zero eyes on the result ...

Now that's a Brilliant Move ... and so how's that working out?

LOL

In other words, let's ignore the fact President Clinton helped to advance NK's nuclear capabilities, and blame the fall out on Bush and Trump.

:cuckoo:

LOL

In other words, let's ignore the fact President Clinton helped to advance NK's nuclear capabilities, and blame the fall out on Bush and Trump.

:cuckoo:

Nope, I think we should order as special prosecutor to investigate.

But first we have a "little" problem with reality to deal with, any idea who?

Nope, I think we should order as special prosecutor to investigate.

But first we have a "little" problem with reality to deal with, any idea who?

Oh, I most certainly know who has a little problem with reality.

But if I were you, I would admit the problem is not little.

It could be the first step in addressing a major problem.

Oh, I most certainly know who has a little problem with reality.

But if I were you, I would admit the problem is not little.

It could be the first step in addressing a major problem.

Good ... I'll assign you to try to educate the Man-Child.

Let us know how it goes 4-you.

//Check/Mate//

Obama had 8 years to do something. Look where we are since he kicked the can down the road.

Obama had 8 years to do something. Look where we are since he kicked the can down the road.

Look where we'll be with Donald Trump ... I kinda like the last 8 years where a Little Boy isn't Laughing at a Man Child.

It's not clear from news reports exactly what type of U.S. missile was fired in this demonstration. It sounds like some version of the ground-to-ground missile that has usually been called "ATACMS," and which has been around for thirty years or so. But what targets in North Korea was the U.S. demonstrating are at risk from this missile, and why would they not be at least as much at risk from the Tomahawk cruise missiles aboard the ships in the two carrier strike forces in the area?

The U.S. is developing, and may already have, a version of this missile capable of destroying moving targets--particularly ships. But North Korea's navy does not seem to pose any serious threat, and the missiles could have been launched out over the ocean just because it provides a convenient test range.

The ATACMS, which is usually launched from trucks whose location North Korea would have no way of knowing, is to some extent a "stealth" weapon. It flies only for several minutes, and because it is small, fast, and varies its ballistic trajectory in flight, it is very hard to intercept. The two main versions carry either cluster munitions or a single warhead of about 500 lb. and have GPS guidance. They probably are not accurate enough to hit, say, a hardened aircraft shelter after flying a hundred miles or more, but they would destroy any aircraft parked in the open. They would also be useful against anti-aircraft missile sites and buildings used for air defense command and communications. And the 450 or so Tomahawks probably at sea near Korea have been proven to be very effective against a wide range of air defense targets. So, as a guess, this demonstration was meant to emphasize that along with B-2 bombers flying out of Missouri, the U.S. has enough weapons in place for a surprise attack that would likely "decapitate" North Korea's military.

The first U.S. military action, if things came to that, might be to intercept one of North Korea's missiles during its test flight. Several of the destroyers in the Nimitz and Reagan strike groups have missiles and radars designed to intercept at least some ballistic missiles. By putting in place weapons which could destroy North Korea's air defenses and ballistic missile facilities in a surprise attack--which would leave military targets throughout that country wide open to further bombing--the U.S. is giving North Korea's military leaders a very good reason not to retaliate if it shoots down a test missile. Kim might well decide it was better to accept the humiliation of having one of his missiles intercepted than to invite an overwhelming attack which would probably mean the end of his regime and of him personally. The U.S. force in South Korea has never been a threat to him, but the forces the U.S. has been moving into the area during the past several months have now, in effect, put a gun to his head.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom