• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Respect

Sanitas

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I've never gotten respect from anybody. Throughout my seventeen years, I have always been much smaller than my peers in terms of sheer size. However, you figure at some point, people would leave that behind. I'm not short anymore, but just not strong either.

I believe I command respect, and when I do not receive this, I get very frustrated. The worst insult I can personally give somebody else is saying that I do not respect them. It is something I reserve to very few people. To be someone's friend, I must respect them first.

What makes people respect one another? How come I do not receive respect? Why do people belittle one another?

I think it is their own insecurities showing.

I've never gotten respect from anybody. Throughout my seventeen years, I have always been much smaller than my peers in terms of sheer size. However, you figure at some point, people would leave that behind. I'm not short anymore, but just not strong either.

I believe I command respect, and when I do not receive this, I get very frustrated. The worst insult I can personally give somebody else is saying that I do not respect them. It is something I reserve to very few people. To be someone's friend, I must respect them first.

What makes people respect one another? How come I do not receive respect? Why do people belittle one another?

You're only 17...

Respect comes with time young Jedi....always earned, never given.

Sitydotong Muay Thai and MMA Training : MMATraining.com :cool:

What exactly do you consider showing respect?

Hmmm, 17 years is fairly young to already be worried about not getting respect. Respect is usually something that is earned over a several year span after reaching adulthood, and it's something that some people never have. Respect yourself by holding yourself to high standards, be respectful of others while maintaining your own integrity. Develop solid character traits such as honesty, dependability, courage, and sensible fidelity, and you will be respected. First and foremost, have respect for yourself.

Your post brought to memory a great old R&B tune from 1971 by The Staple Singers. Thanks!:)

"If you disrespect anybody that you run in to
How in the world do you think anybody's s'posed to respect you
If you don't give a heck 'bout the man with the bible in his hand
Just get out the way, and let the gentleman do his thing
You the kind of gentleman that want everything your way
Take the sheet off your face, boy, it's a brand new day

Respect yourself, respect yourself
If you don't respect yourself
Ain't nobody gonna give a good cahoot, na na na na
Respect yourself, respect yourself

If you're walking 'round think'n that the world owes you something cause
You're here you goin' out the world backwards like you did when you
Put your hand on your mouth when you cough, that'll help the solution
Oh, you cuss around women and you don't even know their names and you
Dumb enough to think that'll make you a big ol man"

What exactly do you consider showing respect?

Showing respect is showing thought in actions or words uttered directly concerning another person, knowing that everything has a place and a time, or otherwise regarding someone without disrespect. People do things out of respect.

Respect is the little things - listening to someone's ideas or thoughts, . Sometimes having respect is even knowing your place or fear of what might happen, or what people might think of them if they did/said something.

Respect is moreover NOT doing something...NOT ignoring, interrupting someone, or NOT being an asshole to someone.

I wish people refrained from doing or saying things out of respect in every day situations, but I feel they do not.

After high school, people don't place as much importance on physical size and strength anymore.
I know these things are big status issues for guys in high school, but high school's not forever.

There is an old saying that helped me a lot when I was going through a very self-conscious phase as a teenager:
It goes something like, "You'd worry a lot less what people thought of you, if you realized how seldom they do."

Remember that all your peers are likely wrapped up in their own drama and insecurities, and probably don't actually think about you much at all.
Every teenager is the lead character in his or her own life. Everybody else is just bit players and scenery. It's not like they go home after school and continue to ponder the zit on your chin or the dumb comment you made in the lunchroom. They're too busy obsessing about their own zits and replaying their own stupid utterances... and probably fretting about what you and everybody else in the world thinks of them.

They don't "respect" you because they're too busy trying to figure out who they are to worry about you.
You shouldn't worry about them, either.
That's my two centavos.

Listen to 10! She gave you some very good advice.

I believe I command respect, and when I do not receive this, I get very frustrated.

Respect is most freely given to those who do not demand it with words but instead prove they are worthy of it in actions.

Simply put, bitch at others and ask them to respect you will only make you look foolish and insecure... probably because that is exactly what you are at that moment in time.

Instead, just focus on doing what you are supposed to do and do it as well as you can. Respect will come from those who have a clue. Respect won't come from fools... but if you are the type of person that wants respect from fools, you probably aren't worthy of respect in the first place.

My thoughts on the matter.

Showing respect is showing thought in actions or words uttered directly concerning another person, knowing that everything has a place and a time, or otherwise regarding someone without disrespect. People do things out of respect.

Respect is the little things - listening to someone's ideas or thoughts, . Sometimes having respect is even knowing your place or fear of what might happen, or what people might think of them if they did/said something.

Respect is moreover NOT doing something...NOT ignoring, interrupting someone, or NOT being an asshole to someone.

I wish people refrained from doing or saying things out of respect in every day situations, but I feel they do not.

It appears what you are concerned about is that people are not polite, which is very different than respect. People should listen and not ignore, interrupt or be an asshole because it's the polite thing to do, not because they respect you. From the current representation of teenagers in our society, I'd say your pretty much screwed. Best learn to deal with rudeness now, because it's not going away.

This though:

Sometimes having respect is even knowing your place or fear of what might happen, or what people might think of them if they did/said something.

Is a little silly. The only way a 17 year old is going to produce this response from anyone is if they bully little kids. You quite frankly do not have enough power yet and you won't for a long time, to expect this.

You cannot demand respect. You have to prove you are worthy of it. And then you need to be in a siutation where people are going to have the attention span to realize your greatness. High School is not the place for that.

The more self absorbed this country becomes, the less respect for each other we will have. It's only going to get worse I am afraid. Hell in my college courses there are 30+ year olds that have no respect for our professors who have doctorate/masters degrees in our field and a combined 90+ years of clinical experience between the three of them. Its not just youth that suffer this problem. Its an epidemic in our culture.

You cannot demand respect. You have to prove you are worthy of it. And then you need to be in a siutation where people are going to have the attention span to realize your greatness. High School is not the place for that.

The more self absorbed this country becomes, the less respect for each other we will have. It's only going to get worse I am afraid. Hell in my college courses there are 30+ year olds that have no respect for our professors who have doctorate/masters degrees in our field and a combined 90+ years of clinical experience between the three of them. Its not just youth that suffer this problem. Its an epidemic in our culture.

Much to our detriment I fear.

10 is spot on with this one. Everyone is too worried about how they look.

For me, I give out a certain amount of respect when I meet someone – just a bit, as a human being. They can lose that quickly if they are an asshole. The rest, they have to earn.

The kind of respect you seem to be talking about is an earned one. Stick to your morals, and most importantly, your word. You will gain the respect of your piers.

Belittling, unfortunately, has seem to become the cool thing to do. How many t.v shows out there are based on people getting belittled…? Meh…

‘…dog food stalls with the beefcake pantyhose… kill the headlights and put it in neutral…’ :cool:

Peace

Ummm...if you 'commanded' respect you wouldnt be here whining about not receiving respect. Nor can you 'demand' respect. Perhaps your problems begin when you look externally for validation. Maybe the type of respect you are truly lacking is 'self'.

You're short - you'll have to deal with that forever. No matter how old you get some people will never let you forget that you're shorter and they think it's hilarious.
My Dad's in his late 50's and still gets ribbed by people in his congregation - it's just pathetically childish.

You're physically weak? That, unlike height, can be solved.

Ever seen Bully Beatdown? That's where Miller came from.

my son was also smaller than his peers, but was very smart and earned their respect that way. oh, that and always being game for getting into trouble. ;-)

don't worry so much about respect now, as you become an adult you will command respect if you are forthright and conduct yourself with some integrity. physical attributes won't matter as much.

Back
Top Bottom