• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Resolution to censure Bush/Cheney set in motion

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

This could lead to another president getting impeached along with the vice president as well. If anything, I thorough investigation to find out what the president did and didn't know is well worth it. If he lied to the people, he should be forced out of office.

(Also, anyone who says "aiding the terrorists/enemy" in this thread loses their argument.)

Holy Moses! Bush's troubles get more interesting by the day.

aps said:
Holy Moses! Bush's troubles get more interesting by the day.
Given that Bush buddies already gave classified national security information "that could get people killed" to Iran of the Axis of Evil fame, I'm not ready to make predictions about how long Team Bush will continue to flounder before drowning in their own morass until after Thanksgiving football.

If the Congressscritters haven't already lit their pitchforks, gotten their torches out of the haystacks, formed a committee to find a strong boughed rope, and started tying a tree into a noose at this point, I'm not willing to breathlessly speculate with puffy blue cheeks.

However, the Bush Admin is doomed.

I'm in heaven right now. I am having a threesome with two moderators who agree with me (the fact that you're moderators has nothing to do with it--it's the whole agreement thing).

:bright:

aps said:
I'm in heaven right now. I am having a threesome with two moderators who agree with me (the fact that you're moderators has nothing to do with it--it's the whole agreement thing).

I feel violated and dirty.

Simon W. Moon said:
I feel violated and dirty.

It meant something to me....I swear! :lol:

This could lead to another president getting impeached along with the vice president as well.

What do you think are the odds of passage of these?

According to your source...

Republicans are not expected to support a Select Committee, nor are they expected to approve censure motions.

And how many Repubs are likely to cross party lines to vote for these?

These look very much like a continuation of the 'silly season' motions, like the one previous ones about 'get out now'?

Beat me to the punch.

It'd be a bummer if Senate republicans would rather hold allegiance to party lines than to truth or the public. Interesting to see where the loyalty lies. (Pun intended).

shuamort said:
It'd be a bummer if Senate republicans would rather hold allegiance to party lines than to truth or the public. Interesting to see where the loyalty lies. (Pun intended).

Given the blatant partisanship from both sides of the aisle lately?

A couple of Repubs have expressed support for the idea of hearings on the wiretap issue, but thats about it so far. But would you realistically expect any thing other than party line votes?

This just in...

President Bush jumped into a lake to save an elderly woman from drowning...

The Democrats have immediately pushed forth an impeachment process declaring that the President was fishing without a license...

Whatever will happen will wait until after Thanksgiving.

aps said:

I shall refrain from commenting on this post. :mrgreen:

cnredd said:
This just in...

President Bush jumped into a lake to save an elderly woman from drowning...

The Democrats have immediately pushed forth an impeachment process declaring that the President was fishing without a license...

"Bush sends Cheney abroad" - Details, along with some wild photos after this commercial about your breath. :mrgreen:

In the impeachment of Richard Nixon, Article 2 of the three Articles of Impeachment dealt with illegal wiretapping of Americans.

http://watergate.info/impeachment/impeachment-articles.shtml

Last edited:
hipster,

The Nixon articles of impeachment you sourced said the following,

You seem to be alleging that Bush should be impeached using the same theory. Do I have that right?

If so, how does that square with various legal precedents for the NSA surveillance program, such as this executive order issued by Carter on May 23, 1979?

Source.

We have a lot of similar threads going on here. But Drudge is only giving a half truth with these arguments.

Here's what Drudge says:
FLASHBACK: CLINTON, CARTER SEARCH 'N SURVEILLANCE WITHOUT COURT ORDER
Clinton, February 9, 1995: “The Attorney General is authorized to approve physical searches, without a court order”
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash8.htm

The Carter/Clinton did it too agrument is false on its face:

Here is what Clinton signed:

http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/eo/eo-12949.htm

This relates to physical searches - not electronic survelienece.

Drudge uses the same chicanery with Carter:

Drudge says:

Jimmy Carter Signed Executive Order on May 23, 1979: “Attorney General is authorized to approve electronic surveillance to acquire foreign intelligence information without a court order.”

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash8.htm

Here is what Carter signed:

http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/eo12139.htm

Here the surveillance is for communications exclusively between foreign powers.

Clinton and Carter issued these orders to use the new powers that Congress gave them. Bush issued his to sidestep judicial oversight. Drudge’s links actually make the case that Bush was wrong if you look into the subject deeper.

The more I hear about this, the more information I need.
SCOTUS hasn't looked at this issue for a long time. Sometime in the 50's I think. Hearings on the issue will start in January.

No one is doubting that the country needs to be protected and that 9/11 exposed serious flaws in our ability to protect ourselves. The issue here seems to be Bush's skirting of FISA laws to get the job done.

The question then becomes, do the ends justify the means? Watergate taught us the danger of unlimited and unchecked Presidential power. And we don't need more J. Edgar Hoovers running around unchecked.

On the other hand - if FISA, which to me is a 21st century clarification of the 4th amendment, did not grant the executive office quick enough access to suspected terrorist surveillance then we have a process to modify that deficiency.

It seems to me like the president may have just bypassed the whole thing, surround by yes men, and said basically "I'm in charge, and I'll do what's best for the country." Sorry, that doesn't cut it. Our constitution is set up with checks and balances. No one - no matter how noble their means, is above the law.

shuamort said:
(Also, anyone who says "aiding the terrorists/enemy" in this thread loses their argument.)

or 9/11 changed everything
or compares "x" to Nazis

New Rules!

We have a lot of similar threads going on here. But Drudge is only giving a half truth with these arguments.

I sourced the Carter Executive Order itself, at fas.org, which of course includes the provision concerning the AG certification. It appears from the AG's description of the procedures being used by the Bush admin that there are doing this - after a fashion. Whether or not it is ultimately judged to be sufficient remains to be seen.

The Clinton EO clearly related to physical searches.

The Nation had this story from Conyers online.
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060109/motion_for_censure

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…