• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Residents angry as RCMP seize guns from High River homes

Jango

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Hell to pay: Residents angry as RCMP seize guns from High River homes (with video)

:shock:

As if the poor people suffering through the flood don't have enough to worry about already. They're understandably upset about the situation - effectively being disarmed, as well, their homes being breached and their possessions being rifled through by law enforcement. I think this would justifiably cause anyone to feel small in an insignificant way, given that if they resist their police's maneuvers, they face arrest or potentially worse circumstances. It is sad to see a civilized society resort to these types of gross abuses upon its people.

Last edited:
Dang. No one?

Hell to pay: Residents angry as RCMP seize guns from High River homes (with video)

As if the poor people suffering through the flood don't have enough to worry about already. They're understandably upset about the situation - effectively being disarmed, as well, their homes being breached and their possessions being rifled through by law enforcement. I think this would justifiably cause anyone to feel small in an insignificant way, given that if they resist their police's maneuvers, they face arrest or potentially worse circumstances. It is sad to see a civilized society resort to these types of gross abuses upon its people.

Can't watch video.What is the excuse the RCMP are using?
I'm with you it sucks and I'm not sure they should be in the peoples homes.

Can't watch video.What is the excuse the RCMP are using?
I'm with you it sucks and I'm not sure they should be in the peoples homes.

“We just want to make sure that all of those things are in a spot that we control, simply because of what they are,” said Sgt. Brian Topham.

“People have a significant amount of money invested in firearms ... so we put them in a place that we control and that they’re safe.”

“We just want to make sure that all of those things are in a spot that we control, simply because of what they are,” said Sgt. Brian Topham.

“People have a significant amount of money invested in firearms ... so we put them in a place that we control and that they’re safe.”

Yeah Shurrre! I'm believing that. NOT !!

OK....the town was flooded, the people were kicked out for their own safety and now the cops are going through house by house and taking away anything that they feel might be a danger. That's kind of the price you pay for living in a state centric society. I mean....when you vote the state in to take over your life and then they do just that you're going to get pissed? It's a little late for that, don't you think?

Gosh, I wonder how they determined which homes to invade in order to take these firearms into custody? I would love to know if they are going to reimburse owners for damages to any secure storage containers/gun safes? I also love the part that the owners will have to prove ownership. You would think all they would have to do is show residency in the home they were confiscated from.

These people just sat there and let them do it??

If they didn't then the state would have taken away their health care too. That's the cool part about being the state when the people give you authority to take over everything.

If they didn't then the state would have taken away their health care too. That's the cool part about being the state when the people give you authority to take over everything.

Victims of their own dependency on the nanny state.

Neither of you read the article did you?

Also they are going to be giving the firearms back and I can understand, as a Soldier you know, to not wanting leave a firearm unsecured. Now if they refuse to give them back, well now you've got an issue on your hands.

Also they are going to be giving the firearms back and I can understand, as a Soldier you know, to not wanting leave a firearm unsecured. Now if they refuse to give them back, well now you've got an issue on your hands.

Right! Sure they are!

If it's safe enough for the RCMP to go in and collect the firearms then why can't they allow the residents to go in and collect what THEY feel is valuable? I mean, if you're going to be all nice and stuff and take care of my $800 AR for me then why not let me go in and and take care of my $5,000 stereo/home theater or my wife's $10,000 worth of jewelry?

Gosh, I wonder how they determined which homes to invade in order to take these firearms into custody? I would love to know if they are going to reimburse owners for damages to any secure storage containers/gun safes? I also love the part that the owners will have to prove ownership. You would think all they would have to do is show residency in the home they were confiscated from.

They were seizing firearms that were improperly stored.

If it's safe enough for the RCMP to go in and collect the firearms then why can't they allow the residents to go in and collect what THEY feel is valuable? I mean, if you're going to be all nice and stuff and take care of my $800 AR for me then why not let me go in and and take care of my $5,000 stereo/home theater or my wife's $10,000 worth of jewelry?
Looter can't steal and then murder someone with a nice pair of earrings.

Looter can't steal and then murder someone with a nice pair of earrings.

But the area was under the protection of law enforcement eh? If the legal residents were unable to get to their homes, how could looters? Obviously, the protection was working as all those improperly stored weapons were still there.
Looters can certainly stab or beat you to death for those ear rings. That has been proven a few times.

Right! Sure they are!

Maybe the area was determined not to be safe enough for civilians but safe enough for the RCMP? You know they are a little better trained, equiped, and organized than your average civilian, are you going to tell me that if its safe enough for a firearm to enter a burning building than why not you?

So like I said, neither of you actually read the article because the RCMP did stop after they were confronted by the residents so no they didn't just stand by and let it happen. That right there alone takes anyway any credability because you can't even be bothered to learn even the smallest details about the incident before making an opinion.

I can't believe that two people who've served in the military are completely blown away that someone would secure an unsecured weapon. Hell even if this was the United States, where we have a 2nd amendment and less strict gun laws than Canada, do you think that a policeman would if he saw a rifle or pistol laying on the ground would not stop to secure it? Would you like to charge him with theft or unlawful seizure of your property if that turned out to be your weapon that you left unsecured for anyone to take? No, obviously not, at least not if you had have a brain to think with.

Same thing happened during Katrina in NOLA, that practice is now against the law in La. in retrospect. Any officer that engages in an unjustified disarmament faces criminal charges.

Back
Top Bottom