• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Researchers propose statin with fast food

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
The way the food police retards act you would think that everybody eats nothing but fast food or that McDonalds must hold a gun to peoples heads forcing them to eat cheeseburgers.

Researchers propose statin with fast food - Washington Times

Make that a burger, fries and a side of Lipitor, please.

It could happen. As a public service, British researchers are proposing that fast-food eateries dole out complimentary cholesterol-lowering statin drugs to offset the hazardous glories of their fatty cuisines.

"When people engage in risky behaviors like driving or smoking, they're encouraged to take measures that minimize their risk, like wearing a seat belt or choosing cigarettes with filters. Taking a statin is a rational way of lowering some of the risks of eating a fatty meal," said Dr. Darrel Francis, a cardiologist at the National Heart and Lung Institute at Imperial College London.

"It's ironic that people are free to take as many unhealthy condiments in fast-food outlets as they like, but statins, which are beneficial to heart health, have to be prescribed," he noted.

Representatives from Merck, which manufactures Lipitor, and Pfizer, maker of Zocor, declined to comment on the idea. McDonald's Corp. also did not respond to an inquiry.

The researchers are nevertheless in praise of statin drugs, pointing out that the medications boast some of the "best safety profiles of any medication," with side effects - such as complications in the liver and kidneys - reported in between one in 1,000 and one in 10,000 people.

There are so many things wrong with this idea that I don't really know where to start picking it apart.

I'm just going to not bother, and say this is one of the absolute dumbest things I've ever heard of.

If it brings the idea of a need for statins in front of an obese public, it might save a life or two.

I hate even taking Tylenol for headaches. No jackass is gonna tell me to take drugs with my food.

You don't want the unhealthy side effects of fast food? Don't eat it.

There are so many things wrong with this idea that I don't really know where to start picking it apart.

I'm just going to not bother, and say this is one of the absolute dumbest things I've ever heard of.

The thing most wrong with this, to me, is that people are such pigs to the point that they eat fast foods and other fatty foods to an extent that this almost sounds like a reasonable idea.

I already take Statins with my fast food. I do try to eat less fast food.

Bah, if we really gave a **** about making people healthier, we'd put a tax on drive throughs and use that to pay for health care.

So they want to give out pills or put the statin in the food? These drugs are prescribed because doctors and pharmacists need a patient profile. Drugs can interact with other meds, people can be allergic to the drug, and for some with low cholesterol or certain problems it might wind up hurting them and not helping them. People know that fast food isn't the healthiest, and they chose that. This is an awful idea and a potentially dangerous one.

See what stupid things start to happen when the busy bodies succeed in making your government, you know, the guys with the guns, your healthcare provider?

Can the United States get off this stupid train before its too late?

Back
Top Bottom