• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Researchers find elevated radiation near U.S. fracking sites

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

(Reuters) - Radiation levels downwind of U.S. hydraulic fracturing drilling sites tend to be significantly higher than background levels, posing a potential health risk to nearby residents, according to a study by Harvard researchers released on Tuesday.

The study, published in the journal Nature, adds to controversy over the drilling method known as fracking, which has helped the United States become the world’s biggest oil and gas producer over the past decade but which environmentalists say threatens water and air.

President Donald Trump supports fracking because of its economic benefits, and his Democratic rival Joe Biden has promised to continue to allow it if elected even though he aims to impose an ambitious plan to fight climate change.
=========================================================
A lot of people have these fracking rigs in their back yards. Bye-bye home values. Hello radiation health hazard.

(Reuters) - Radiation levels downwind of U.S. hydraulic fracturing drilling sites tend to be significantly higher than background levels, posing a potential health risk to nearby residents, according to a study by Harvard researchers released on Tuesday.

The study, published in the journal Nature, adds to controversy over the drilling method known as fracking, which has helped the United States become the world’s biggest oil and gas producer over the past decade but which environmentalists say threatens water and air.

President Donald Trump supports fracking because of its economic benefits, and his Democratic rival Joe Biden has promised to continue to allow it if elected even though he aims to impose an ambitious plan to fight climate change.
=========================================================
A lot of people have these fracking rigs in their back yards. Bye-bye home values. Hello radiation health hazard.

Sorry but it does not sound like it is significantly higher, and I am shocked that Reuters is so slapdash about their reporting.
For instance, I am certain that geologists know WHAT KIND of radiation it is, and I am certain that they know WHAT KIND of particles, too.
But Reuters fails to identify either of those things for the readers.

A proper piece would detail things like baseline levels in microsieverts per hour and compare with ambient levels taken at drill sites, and they would take into account readings with the inverse square law applied so that readers can determine at what DISTANCE the levels fall.
As for water, fracking these days is supposed to avoid known groundwater where possible and remediative steps are to be taken when groundwater tables or aquifers are breached.

Reuters makes no mention of those things either.
I expect better from Reuters.

Most soils contain radioactive elements. When I sold my last house, I had yo install radon abatement in order to pass the home inspection. The level varies by location.

Back
Top Bottom