• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Repurposed existing approved drug metocurine as inhibitor of covid-19 Mpro enzyme

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Metocurine - Wikipedia

Original Research
Published: 11 August 2020
Repurposing metocurine as main protease inhibitor (Mpro) to develop novel antiviral therapy for COVID-19

Repurposing metocurine as main protease inhibitor to develop novel antiviral therapy for COVID-19 | SpringerLink

The drug development process is a very complex process which desires so many years as well as large approach of money for discovery of new chemical entities (NCEs). To overcome the high cost and time required for developing a drug molecule, in silico drug repurposing and repositioning techniques are promising alternative methods. In the current paradigm of conventional drug discovery process, the drug repurposing approach reveals an alternative economical and time-saving substitute having a higher success rate. Drug repurposing is a technique in which a newer pharmacological application of an existing drug is identified and established through computational and clinical investigations. Drug repurposing and repositioning techniques are extensively applied in the modern era for the successful development of newer therapy for the diseased condition via existing drugs. In the earlier days, the newer pharmacological role of an existing drug was identified by its accidental use or either observed by their clinical manifestations. Nowadays, fast, economical, reliable, and versatile computational repurposing techniques were utilized to recognize a newer functional role of an existing drug molecule.
===============================================================
Metocurine is a competitive non-depolarizing neuromuscular blocking agent used as a muscle relaxant as well as an anesthetic agent. The metocurine interacts within the active binding cavity of viral Mpro enzyme by mainly with the Phe140, Leu141, Cys145, His163, His164, Met165, Glu166, Leu167, and Pro168 residues.
==============================================================================
It was observed that metocurine was found to be a potential lead molecules against the viral Mpro enzyme of COVID-19. Based on their safety profile, metocurine was chosen as a safe and effective drug candidate for developing therapy against the viral Mpro enzyme of SARS-CoV-2 for the treatment of COVID-19.
======================================================
Comments: with powerful computational analytical techniques, existing drug molecules can be rapidly screened for potential activity against covid-19. In this study the existing approived drug metocurine was found to be a likely candidate to inhibit the Main protease enzyme Mpro. If Mpro is inhibited, the virus dies.

See related molecule ebselen posted previously.

Last edited:
Metocurine - Wikipedia

Original Research
Published: 11 August 2020
Repurposing metocurine as main protease inhibitor (Mpro) to develop novel antiviral therapy for COVID-19

The drug development process is a very complex process which desires so many years as well as large approach of money for discovery of new chemical entities (NCEs). To overcome the high cost and time required for developing a drug molecule, in silico drug repurposing and repositioning techniques are promising alternative methods. In the current paradigm of conventional drug discovery process, the drug repurposing approach reveals an alternative economical and time-saving substitute having a higher success rate. Drug repurposing is a technique in which a newer pharmacological application of an existing drug is identified and established through computational and clinical investigations. Drug repurposing and repositioning techniques are extensively applied in the modern era for the successful development of newer therapy for the diseased condition via existing drugs. In the earlier days, the newer pharmacological role of an existing drug was identified by its accidental use or either observed by their clinical manifestations. Nowadays, fast, economical, reliable, and versatile computational repurposing techniques were utilized to recognize a newer functional role of an existing drug molecule.
===============================================================
Metocurine is a competitive non-depolarizing neuromuscular blocking agent used as a muscle relaxant as well as an anesthetic agent. The metocurine interacts within the active binding cavity of viral Mpro enzyme by mainly with the Phe140, Leu141, Cys145, His163, His164, Met165, Glu166, Leu167, and Pro168 residues.
==============================================================================
It was observed that metocurine was found to be a potential lead molecules against the viral Mpro enzyme of COVID-19. Based on their safety profile, metocurine was chosen as a safe and effective drug candidate for developing therapy against the viral Mpro enzyme of SARS-CoV-2 for the treatment of COVID-19.
======================================================
Comments: with powerful computational analytical techniques, existing drug molecules can be rapidly screened for potential activity against covid-19. In this study the existing approived drug metocurine was found to be a likely candidate to inhibit the Main protease enzyme Mpro. If Mpro is inhibited, the virus dies.

See related molecule ebselen posted previously.

The only link in your post is to a Wikipedia article which has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the content of your post.

I am completely unable to find the article which you quoted without attribution or further details as to HOW the study was conducted.

The first is possibly an infraction, but is so common that I simply don't care about it.

The second means that I will pay absolutely no attention to an EXTRACT that doesn't actually say anything substantive.

However, if you want to comply with the rules and actually provide a link to your "source article", I'd be more than pleased to read it.

The only link in your post is to a Wikipedia article which has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the content of your post.

I am completely unable to find the article which you quoted without attribution or further details as to HOW the study was conducted.

The first is possibly an infraction, but is so common that I simply don't care about it.

The second means that I will pay absolutely no attention to an EXTRACT that doesn't actually say anything substantive.

However, if you want to comply with the rules and actually provide a link to your "source article", I'd be more than pleased to read it.

I just posted the Springer link. There was so much material I just remembered that I had not posted that link within the time period allowed.

Back
Top Bottom