• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans Won't Have Guns at their Own Convention?

the right is not being suppressed, as it only applies to parties that have a contractual relationship with each other in a private setting anyway.

besides there will be lots of armed securty, local police, and Secret Service, present, plus access control and screening.
versus the regular public sphere where anyone can come and go.

Nice dodge.

Not by a private entity its not. The 2nd applies to the government. A person has right to own and carry a gun, that right is protected by the constitution so the government can not infringe upon that right, but you every right not to allow that person to carry his gun on your property or in your establishment.

The government is the one doing the restricting. The GOP, or their producers are the ones that signed the contract with the venue.

I'm not the least bit upset about this...why should you be? There are dozens of places that CCW folks can't enter with their gun. What is your education level? I think it's an important piece of info, needed here. ;)

Yep...only jet....

See below.

Yep!

Are these anti-gun morons actually this stupid?

Your acceptance of the hypocrisy of this on the part of the right-wing is noted.

:lamo

The government is the one doing the restricting. The GOP, or their producers are the ones that signed the contract with the venue.

RNC and producers and venue all private, no government.

The venue is not the government, in fact neither is the RNC

The venue is not in charge. By contract, the producers of the convention are in charge. The venue did not say "no guns allowed"; the can't, they are just providing the venue. The producers must supply insurance that indemnifies the venue. The producers make the rules and in this case, big gummit told the GOP "no guns".

The hypocrisy of the right-wing gun movement is noted.

Your attempted deflection won't change that

Like I said...... it's a taunt.

We are not carrying to NFL games, NBA games, NHL games, NHL games, hospitals, court rooms, or concerts either.

Only you could pick this one event to use as a symbol of hypocrisy.

If I am in Oregon, and there is no metal detector, I carry at all the places but the courthouse. Because it's legal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I am in Oregon, and there is no metal detector, I carry at all the places but the courthouse. Because it's legal.

With a valid CHL, you can even carry at the courthouse if it's not posted. We have many Justice Courts and most of them aren't posted either.

With a valid CHL, you can even carry at the courthouse if it's not posted. We have many Justice Courts and most of them aren't posted either.

ORS 166.370 does not provide an except for CHL in a court facility. 3d only provides an exception to 1, which is public buildings. There is no except for 2 which is the court facility prohibition.

In Oregon, no carry signs have no weight of law. If it's a government building, they can't even trespass you. In fact the Hillsboro police department was sued an lost because the Chief thought the sign did have the weight of law. Then refused to allow people even after they lost the first lawsuit. Same with the Port of Portland and the Airport. But not court facilities. Unless the judge says OK.

And that's why they have tried to extend the definition of court facilities.

Last edited:
The venue is not in charge. By contract, the producers of the convention are in charge. The venue did not say "no guns allowed"; the can't, they are just providing the venue. The producers must supply insurance that indemnifies the venue. The producers make the rules and in this case, big gummit told the GOP "no guns".

The hypocrisy of the right-wing gun movement is noted.

Your attempted deflection won't change that

Hypocrisy-pretending to whine about the GOP not allowing guns in an area that the secret service most likely calls that shot in-by a gun banners who constantly wants to ban CCW by citizens and who wants to ban semi auto rifles based on the bald faced LIE that any magazine that holds ten rounds or more is FOR WARFARE ONLY

nothing is more idiotic than watching banners pretend to get upset when others restrict firearms.

No, you're wrong.

well when someone claims that the only purpose of a 10 round magazine is WARFARE you know you aren't dealing with someone who actually understands gun issues

No, you're wrong.

Well, that's what Big Obama Gummit is doing at the Republican convention, so I don't know how that's wrong. And the Republican NRA GOP is rolling over for it. THAT should be wrong according to the NRA pro gun crowd, but apparently it;s okay! Which only means the "constitution and second amendment" regurgitation that comes out of the right-wing crowd really means absolutely nothing.

Aaaaand why can't you carry at the courthouse? Big Gummit denying your right to carry! You and Bundy should on that like white on rice.

Well, that's what Big Obama Gummit is doing at the Republican convention, so I don't know how that's wrong. And the Republican NRA GOP is rolling over for it. THAT should be wrong according to the NRA pro gun crowd, but apparently it;s okay! Which only means the "constitution and second amendment" regurgitation that comes out of the right-wing crowd really means absolutely nothing.

It must make you feels good to blabber on about things you don't understand. Carry on.

It must make you feels good to blabber on about things you don't understand. Carry on.

It makes me feel good to report the truth and show the right-wing for the liars and scammers that they are.

It makes me feel good to report the truth and show the right-wing for the liars and scammers that they are.

It would, if that's what you were doing, but it's not. Have a nice day.

It would, if that's what you were doing, but it's not. Have a nice day.

Well, the OP speaks for itself. Big Gummit is telling the GOP that they don't have the right to bear arms, and you guys are all going along with it. So when push comes to shove your second amendment fight against the liberal hoard means zippidy-doo-dah . So please remember that fact the next time you stand up for The Second Amendment against gun banners.

You all had your chance to make the second amendment really mean something and impress everybody. But, we can all see that - in reality - it doesn't mean anything.

So the party of CCW and open carry and "My rights under the second amendment" are allowing Big Gummit to create a "gun Free Zone" out of their own political convention!?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/30/u...ans-guns-at-gop-convention-ending-debate.html

What gives!?

What gives? More of what Donald Trump calls "Truthful Hyperbole." The Republicans Party supports the Constitution including the 2nd Amendment. I'm not a Republican but I don't remember the Republican Party taking a position on concealed weapons or open-carry of weapons or ownership of weapons. They simply think the 2nd Amendment should be honored or replaced.

I take much the same position. I don't own a gun, I don't want a gun, but I support our Constitution and will defend your right to have a gun if you feel you need one or want one.

This is not unlike my honoring another amendment the liberals hate, the First Amendment. I might not approve of what you're saying but I will defend your right to say it free from government persecution. Horrible, isn't.

What gives? More of what Donald Trump calls "Truthful Hyperbole." The Republicans Party supports the Constitution including the 2nd Amendment. I'm not a Republican but I don't remember the Republican Party taking a position on concealed weapons or open-carry of weapons or ownership of weapons. They simply think the 2nd Amendment should be honored or replaced.

I take much the same position. I don't own a gun, I don't want a gun, but I support our Constitution and will defend your right to have a gun if you feel you need one or want one.

This is not unlike my honoring another amendment the liberals hate, the First Amendment. I might not approve of what you're saying but I will defend your right to say it free from government persecution. Horrible, isn't.

I'm with you. Though I think that in times like these certain restrictions should apply. Scalia said it's okay, and there's nothing wrong with sound regulation: the second even calls for regulation.

I don't think that libs hate the first amendment. I think that don't like conservative news outlets lying about them or our state of affairs.
As for the OP and the GOP convention, if the right-wing was really fighting for the second amendment, NOW would be the time to do it. But, they're only fighting for the parts they want out of it: a larger share of the market with more and more selections to choose from. They're whoring out the second amendment.

I'm with you. Though I think that in times like these certain restrictions should apply. Scalia said it's okay, and there's nothing wrong with sound regulation: the second even calls for regulation.

I don't think that libs hate the first amendment. I think that don't like conservative news outlets lying about them or our state of affairs.
As for the OP and the GOP convention, if the right-wing was really fighting for the second amendment, NOW would be the time to do it. But, they're only fighting for the parts they want out of it: a larger share of the market with more and more selections to choose from. They're whoring out the second amendment.

I don't think the Second Amendment calls for regulation. It references a well-regulated militia but does not limit arms to members of the militia.

And, you don't recall Sen. Harry Reid, honorable Democrat, calling for the First Amendment to be revised. Free speech, terrible. Donald Trump wants libel laws expanded so people can't say rude things about him. President Obama and the Democrats attacking religion in the U.S. runs counter to the First Amendment.

What do you think about the current administrations penchant for secrecy, lying, and not responding to FOIA requests as it infringes on the freedom of the press?

And, I'm curious. What are the parts of the Second Amendment? It's a very short, very to the point amendment. How to liberals parse it into discrete parts?

Lastly, we have many gun laws and regulations and the government seems to be spectacularly unable to enforce those. So, you want more?

I really do understand the liberal position. The Department of Education and the Department of Agriculture need machine guns. American citizens need to be helpless.

Hypocrisy alert- we have a gun banner complaining about a gun free zone that is most likely due to Secret Service requirements.

Back
Top Bottom