• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

republicans: who would be your choice

who would be your candidate choice today?

• Total voters
Paul Ryan has stated pretty clearly and unambiguously that he absolutely will not run. I can only hope he changes his mind though, I think he would be a great candidate.

There are some potential dark horses I'd also like... Mitch Daniels comes to mind. I don't know much about Tim Pawlenty, but I have heard good things about him too.

If I absolutely had to choose from the candidates listed in the poll, I'd probably go with Gingrich. I just wish the man would stop talking about "secularism" like it's a bad thing.

EDIT: Didn't see Pawlenty in the poll. But then, I still don't know much about him, as I said, so....

Pawlenty isn't a great candidate IMHO, here's a little food for thought.

Though Pawlenty won't embrace the "moderate" label, if he enters the 2012 field, he'd be well-positioned to earn himself a good look from Republican primary voters who are dissatisfied with the direction of the party. The governor prefers the term "modern" conservative. He supports government intervention to reduce global warming and wants his party to focus on the material needs of middle class voters. He's pro-life and opposes gay rights, but he recently signed a bill that gives unmarried couples property rights. He opposes federal or state funding for embryonic stem cell research. He is an evangelical protestant.

2012: Pawlenty's Not Running For Re-Election - Politics - The Atlantic

What does this mean, the "Material needs of"? And he's a warmer, that's a deal breaker for me.

I chose "other", so I sure hope you're right and someone else emerges. I'm not real gung ho on any of the current front runners.

I disagree. We don't need a moderate or centrist at this point, we need a real, hard core fiscal conservative that isn't afraid to make the tough decisions that are necessary to get this country out of debt and back on the road to prosperity.

Huckabee is a good man that I like and respect, but I think he's a little too soft and a little too religious.

Pawlenty isn't too bad, but he has to do something that makes him stand out from the rest, which he hasn't yet done.

Palin has the conservative values I'm looking for, but I just don't think she would make a good president. She is a good motivator and campaigner, but I don't think she would make a good leader. Maybe in the future that might change, but she needs to cool her jets before that could ever happen.

Romney is probably the best of the front runners. I think his business skills would be of great benefit to the American economy, and his moral standing is impeccable. The one thing that bothers me, is that he was the one who passed Massachusetts's health care law, which is about as anti-conservative as a person can be.

Gingrich is a hard core conservative, but a little too hard core for my taste. He tends to speak a little too freely, which would not bode well for our international relations. He also tends to lean toward radical solutions from time to time, which scares me a bit.

The two people I would like to see run for president, have both shown absolutely no interest in running. They are New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan.

Good thread LL.

and it's a pleasure to read your post. thanks for responding!

I'd like to see Gingrich run. I think he's redeemed himself. Like his style. Excellent speaker. He's extremely well informed. Yep, I could see him.

The reason I copied your post, Disney, is I'm very surprised that you think the GOP is moving far right. I sure don't see that at all. I don't think their stand on immigration is conservative enough, as an example.

gingrich has too much baggage.

I disagree. We don't need a moderate or centrist at this point, we need a real, hard core fiscal conservative that isn't afraid to make the tough decisions that are necessary to get this country out of debt and back on the road to prosperity.

Never gonna happen. America as a whole is not fiscally conservative. Tell the right wing you're going to halve the defense budget and see how fiscally conservative they are. The right, just like the left, favors huge, monotonically increasing spending for their projects of choice.

Jindel made a less then perfect speech and Liberals wrote him off.

Nothing to me, is more hilarious then to read a bunch of liberals sit around talking about who the best type of Republican is, and who should run for the GOP Ticket.
It's the most pretentious circle jerk on these forums. First off, WHY THE HELL would Conservatives give a flying rats ass who you people think is a good "Republican"? The fact that DD thinks Arlen Specter and Olympia Snowe are good "Moderate" Republicans proves my point. Those two are quite hated by the base and the GOP outside of their states.

The more you guys LIKE a Candidate, the more amused I get. And this silly notion any ONE OF YOU would vote for a GOP is sheer goofiness. "Gee, DD thinks this Candidate is a good choice, I should give him a second look." NOT.

The base isn't the entire party though. That is what really annoys me. I used to think I was a Republican, but now it's overrun with neocons and the base is pretty much neocon too.

Jindel made a less then perfect speech and Liberals wrote him off.

Nothing to me, is more hilarious then to read a bunch of liberals sit around talking about who the best type of Republican is, and who should run for the GOP Ticket.
It's the most pretentious circle jerk on these forums. First off, WHY THE HELL would Conservatives give a flying rats ass who you people think is a good "Republican"? The fact that DD thinks Arlen Specter and Olympia Snowe are good "Moderate" Republicans proves my point. Those two are quite hated by the base and the GOP outside of their states.

The more you guys LIKE a Candidate, the more amused I get. And this silly notion any ONE OF YOU would vote for a GOP is sheer goofiness. "Gee, DD thinks this Candidate is a good choice, I should give him a second look." NOT.

You need to learn to read. I never said that they were "Good moderate candidates"....I simply stated the truth...that Specter and Snowe are both moderate Republicans (despite Specters change of party). Did I ever say that they were loved by the base? No....hardly. The base of the GOP is so far right-winged that they will reject anyone who doesn't tow their right-wing social agenda.

Who cares if you think it is a "pretentious circle jerk"....we ALL come onto this site to discuss politics, whether we agree with their policies or not. Who are you to determine who is allowed to comment in which forum that they choose.

Do I expect to change ANY Republicans mind on who they want to elect? Absolutely not....but don't try to censor my comment with your pious disregard.

You can also second guess my motives and/or actions all you want. The reality is, you are dead wrong. I've voted for Republicans before, although few and far in between.
However, that said, I could definitely support a fiscal conservative as long as they denounce the big government social agenda of the right-wing base of the party.
I actually like...and have a lot of respect for Romney. However, I'm concerned with Romney because he has begun courting the right-wing base in order to secure the nomination. If he would return to his Mass. Governor self, I could definitely support him in the election.....especially if the economy doesn't improve by 2012.

The base isn't the entire party though. That is what really annoys me. I used to think I was a Republican, but now it's overrun with neocons and the base is pretty much neocon too.

Which shows you don't know what you're talking about, and you might have voted by accident for a Republican dog catcher once.

Which shows you don't know what you're talking about, and you might have voted by accident for a Republican dog catcher once.

I don't know what you are talking about, so explain it to me. Do you think the base, the right wing neocon, big government base is the just the Republican party and nobody else is? The same base that loved Palin, always hated Ron Paul and now hates McCain?

I don't know what you are talking about, so explain it to me. Do you think the base, the right wing neocon, big government base is the just the Republican party and nobody else is? The same base that loved Palin, always hated Ron Paul and now hates McCain?

You are using Left Wing Talking points. You wouldn't know the GOP base if it bit you on your rear. The base doesn't "hate Ron Paul" we just don't see him as a serious candidate for President. He's too kooky. The "Neo-Con" wing you blather about, THEY are the ones that got McCain in to the hot seat, and the BASE rejected him.

You are using Left Wing Talking points. You wouldn't know the GOP base if it bit you on your rear. The base doesn't "hate Ron Paul" we just don't see him as a serious candidate for President. He's too kooky. The "Neo-Con" wing you blather about, THEY are the ones that got McCain in to the hot seat, and the BASE rejected him.

So do you consider Palin a neocon, because I do.. and she "ignited" the base. I don't think Ron Paul is one, he was the furthest one from a neocon in that election. I think it's funny you think I am a liberal using liberal talking points. Really? big government? I am not a liberal.

I was not making the argument Republicans spend
less. Most of them spend just as much as Democrats, if not more.
more, and that was my point - that the fiscally responsibility of republican is a myth. but more importantly, that the amount of spending as a percentage of GDP favors democrats even when they spend more. it is not how much is spent, but how much is returned on what is spent.

National-Debt-GDP.gif

The FBO link you provided does not work.
apologies - here is another path to the same data. it is a lotta wading, though. here is a graph compiled from the raw data:
chart1g.jpg

you can compare this summary with the data in table here for instance see table 15.6, You will need an excel compatible plugin.
As for your other source, I remain critical. It is not a government document.
there are good reasons that freedom of the press is important.
I have a link that refutes your argument: http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy04/pdf/hist.pdf
(go to page 23 of the report). It shows deficit as % of GDP each year since 1930.
again, i would emphasize the difference between 'deficit' and 'debt' especially debt as % of GPP. Roosevelt's huge deficits resulted in the largest economic boom in history.

re: Ron Paul, see below. I will check out John Thune.

geo.

Why do you think Ron Paul is a nut?
well... that characterization is an exageration. i'll admit. much of what he says, i like. on drugs and race ("If we had probably a repeal of most of the federal laws on drugs and the unfairness on how Blacks are treated with these drugs laws, it would be a tremendous improvement."), for instance. usually, i love obstinately committed people, and paul is one.
but....
his position on abortion is irrational, but ultimately irrelevant. Without an equivilent to Christian Sharia, our policy is not likely to change much - too much depends on the free movement and choice of women.
on the envirnoment, and particularly, the government's right and obligation to pass legislation protecting it, he presents a formula for global disaster.
he focus on 'property rights' is simplistic and archaic. yes, liberalism grew from and still stands on the principle of private property, but the value of the individual and the importance is and was always focused on its contribution to the general well being. by itself, it is nothing.
on foreign policy, he says things that i really like, but i think he does not have a much better understanding that I do... and i don't. and his consistency is very questionable: "I believe we’re at a time where we even ought to talk to Cuba and trade and travel to Cuba." yet, when the issue came to a vote (HR 2590), he voted against allowing travel to cuba. then voted FOR it... Voted to end the embargo - good - but to not use our economic strength where it can actually improve the lives of people, as in opposing official sanction of slavery in Sudan, is nuts. the rhetoric against 'empirism' is admirable, but his view of legitimate foreign policy is right out of the 18th century - trade for profit and screw the rest. Sorry, but that is inadequate. without international pressure, apartheid would still be in place.

I chose "other", so I sure hope you're right and someone else emerges. I'm not real gung ho on any of the current front runners.

Huckabee is a good man that I like and respect, but I think he's a little too soft and a little too religious.

Pawlenty isn't too bad, but he has to do something that makes him stand out from the rest, which he hasn't yet done.

Palin has the conservative values I'm looking for, but I just don't think she would make a good president. She is a good motivator and campaigner, but I don't think she would make a good leader. Maybe in the future that might change, but she needs to cool her jets before that could ever happen.

Romney is probably the best of the front runners. I think his business skills would be of great benefit to the American economy, and his moral standing is impeccable. The one thing that bothers me, is that he was the one who passed Massachusetts's health care law, which is about as anti-conservative as a person can be.

Gingrich is a hard core conservative, but a little too hard core for my taste. He tends to speak a little too freely, which would not bode well for our international relations. He also tends to lean toward radical solutions from time to time, which scares me a bit.

The two people I would like to see run for president, have both shown absolutely no interest in running. They are New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan.

Good thread LL.

LOL if I was just reading this post without being able to see the avatar,
I would have thought hmmmmmmm......when did I write that??

I really hope someone like Chris Christie runs. So far I think he is awesome. Sorry I just can't think of another word for him.
Heaven forbid we get stuck with a "moderate"

I meant to tag Palin and Other.

I LIKE Palin, I think she'll be the VP again to be honest...

However, Huckabee is smarmy, Pawlenty a centrist trying to remake his image as "conservative", Newt's a good commentator but not electable material and Romney passed "RomneyCare" in Mass, that excludes him right off the bat.

Jindel would get my vote,

Christie (NJ Gov.) right now would as well.

Caine has lots of potential but age and cancer issues might be enough to sink that.

Oh, JC Watts would if he decided to run.

Caine is just wishful thinking I'm afraid.
Otherwise it would be great to see him and Christie on the same ticket.

Gingrich. He's highly intelligent and I think he would be a very good president.

I'm scratching him off my list right now! Yuk!

I heard some noise on TV, or the Radio about the guy, so I went looking about and then well... in my research I realized, no... he's not what I want.

And for all of you, it's not that he's a Warmer, though I do despise them, it's that he supports the solutions to the "AGW Problem". And they all revolve around "Only Government can fix this".

No, that is the killer, not his warmer belief that is the big hit.

Gingrich. He's highly intelligent and I think he would be a very good president.

Frankly.....Gingrich is too much of a hypocrite with a lot of skeletons in his closet. That is going to keep him from being a serious candidate. Frankly...

Frankly.....Gingrich is too much of a hypocrite with a lot of skeletons in his closet. That is going to keep him from being a serious candidate. Frankly...

I don't think so. No one with an opinion on the matter worth hearing is gonna care that he divorced his crippled wife or whatever it was he did that supposedly makes him teh eeeeeebil.

They are New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan.

Christie also pressured teachers, who don't work for him, to agree to contribute 1.5 percent of their pay toward their health-care benefits. He warned them that if they didn't go along, he would campaign against passage of school budgets in their districts. Most teachers refused to contribute, Christie did as he had promised, and voters rejected a record 59 percent of school budgets. At the end of June, the Democratic-controlled state senate and assembly passed Christie's budget almost unchanged from his proposal.

This just doesn't sound right to me, like he blackmailed the teachers. Care to comment?

I don't think so. No one with an opinion on the matter worth hearing is gonna care that he divorced his crippled wife or whatever it was he did that supposedly makes him teh eeeeeebil.

Seriously...? I think there are a LOT of people in this country that are going to question his integrity and character because of that. I think a lot of Republicans recognize that and would be reluctant to back him.
Plus....Gingrich represents the politics of the past. I think if the GOP is going to have a shot, they have to go with someone that represents a new direction for the GOP...but hey....I could be wrong.

Seriously...? I think there are a LOT of people in this country that are going to question his integrity and character because of that. I think a lot of Republicans recognize that and would be reluctant to back him.
Plus....Gingrich represents the politics of the past. I think if the GOP is going to have a shot, they have to go with someone that represents a new direction for the GOP...but hey....I could be wrong.

I just rememberd something awful he did.
He did that global warming commercial with Nancey Pelosi, didn't he? anybody?
I mostly agree with you but not about his divorce etc. no one cares anymore.
We need someone more conservative than him.

The average voter may not have an opinion worth hearing, but they do decide elections. Personally, I don't really care about Gingrich's family life, but it is serious weakness in today's attack politics and celebrity gossip journalism. John Edwards is equally hosed for similar reasons.

Back
Top Bottom