• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans' War on Democracy

jpn

Retired Navy Commander
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

Texas lawmaker proposes bill to prohibit polling places at colleges​

Texas state Rep. Carrie Isaac (R) introduced the proposal on Thursday to prevent all counties in the state from designating a polling place location on the campus of an institution of higher education.​
The state’s law defines an institution of higher education as any public technical institute, public junior college, public senior college or university, medical or dental unit, public state college or other agency of higher education.​
The college I attended was a six-hour drive from my home. Republicans continue to demonstrate their contempt for the idea of honestly representing the people who live in their districts.

Texas state Rep. Carrie Isaac (R) introduced the proposal on Thursday to prevent all counties in the state from designating a polling place location on the campus of an institution of higher education.​
The state’s law defines an institution of higher education as any public technical institute, public junior college, public senior college or university, medical or dental unit, public state college or other agency of higher education.​
The college I attended was a six-hour drive from my home. Republicans continue to demonstrate their contempt for the idea of honestly representing the people who live in their districts.
You can already vote early, vote by mail, and take a day off to go home if you choose. Voting on campus is not a necessity. I'd be concerned about undue pressure to cast votes for the very liberal progressive side of the ledger at many of these colleges and universities.
I was all for lowering the voting age to 18 back in the day, now I'm not so sure it was a wise decision. Teens and young 20 somethings have shown they don't make great decisions.

You can already vote early, vote by mail, and take a day off to go home if you choose. Voting on campus is not a necessity. I'd be concerned about undue pressure to cast votes for the very liberal progressive side of the ledger at many of these colleges and universities.
I was all for lowering the voting age to 18 back in the day, now I'm not so sure it was a wise decision. Teens and young 20 somethings have shown they don't make great decisions.
😆
And worst of all, they tend to vote Democratic, right?

Alarmed over young people increasingly proving to be a force for Democrats at the ballot box, Republican lawmakers in a number of states have been trying to enact new obstacles to voting for college students.​
In Idaho, Republicans used their power monopoly this month to ban student ID cards as a form of voter identification.​

I have no problem with polling places being setup on colleges as long as (a) they are open to the general population and (b) there is ample parking made available for those without campus parking passes.

With that said.

College students should be like the military and required to vote based on permeant residence, and no living in the dorm is not a permeant residence. It is transitory lodging. As such dorm students should vote absentee. Now if a college student lives off campus and meets all the other residency requirements for registering to vote (rents an apartment, pays utility bills, XX of months, etc.) the no problem with them registering to vote based on that residence.

WW

Education is not the problem. It is the solution.

😆
And worst of all, they tend to vote Democratic, right?

Alarmed over young people increasingly proving to be a force for Democrats at the ballot box, Republican lawmakers in a number of states have been trying to enact new obstacles to voting for college students.​
In Idaho, Republicans used their power monopoly this month to ban student ID cards as a form of voter identification.​
Well, their right to choose but, yeah I'd prefer they didn't vote democrat. It's not a government issued ID. It's not hard to get one of those. The left doesn't want any restrictions on anything but guns. Hey I want to make sure people are who they say they are. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Well, their right to choose but, yeah I'd prefer they didn't vote democrat. It's not a government issued ID. It's not hard to get one of those. The left doesn't want any restrictions on anything but guns. Hey I want to make sure people are who they say they are. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Interesting, when my kids went to college they got government issued ID's. They attended State Universities (two different ones).

My wife works for a third State University.

WW

I'd like to see some evidence of fraud before erecting a obstacle to voting. I don't think that's too much to ask.

By hook or by crook, the republicans are determined to seize power.

They are who and what the founders of our country feared.

Republicans like making it difficult for non-Republicans to vote. Sometimes they **** up and make it hard for Republicans to vote, too.

The interesting thing is this was 1980! These lunatics have always been around and the fact that they're still "fringe" gives me hope for the future.
They aren't on the fringe, they're in the shadows, behind the curtains. Daylight is anathema to them, when people can see them for what they are they wither and die.

Bring them into plain view whenever you can.

Are you SURE you can "vote early, vote by mail, and take a day off"? GOP-controlled state legislatures have passed multiple bills reducing early voting days, restricting or eliminating vote-by-mail, and refusing to make Election Day a paid holiday. Never mind the small acts like reducing the open hours for offices that one visits to register to vote or closing most of the offices and reducing the types of documentation that are required for registering to vote.

I think the war started after 1913.

I'd like to see some evidence of fraud before erecting a obstacle to voting. I don't think that's too much to ask.
Having ID to vote is an obstacle? Disagree.

Having ID to vote is an obstacle? Disagree.
Having to have ID to vote is reasonable. Disallowing certain kinds of ID only because they tend to be the kind that your political opponents carry is not.

Having to have ID to vote is reasonable. Disallowing certain kinds of ID only because they tend to be the kind that your political opponents carry is not.
What kind of ID is rejected?

Back
Top Bottom