• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans want a return to workplace immigration raids

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Immigration: Republicans call on Obama administration to return to workplace raids - latimes.com

Deportations of illegal immigrants have reached new heights for two years running under President Obama, statistics show, but Republicans say they'll use their new majority in the House to press for more aggressive enforcement without any path to legal status.

What really surprises me is to find out how off all the anti-immigrant ranting seems to have been. The article goes on and presents some information that I was unaware of previously.

Some of the large-scale raids launched in 2007 and 2008 cost taxpayers upward of $10 million, said one former law enforcement official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the debate.

Each deportation costs the federal government about $12,500, Immigration and Customs Enforcement Deputy Director Kumar Kibble told lawmakers Wednesday.

Under Obama, cases against employers are up sharply: Immigration and Customs Enforcement quadrupled the number of employer audits after Obama took office, increasing the number of inspections and arrests against those who knowingly hire illegal immigrants. Businesses were fined $6.9 million in fiscal 2010, up from $675,000 in 2008.

The debate over immigration enforcement comes at a time when the administration has hired more Border Patrol agents and deployed 1,200 National Guard troops to the U.S.-Mexico border over the summer to bolster efforts to stop illegal entry.

The Obama administration deported 392,862 illegal immigrants in fiscal 2010, according to ICE figures, a 6% increase over the 369,221 removed from the country in 2008.

More than 195,000 criminals were deported in 2010, a 70% increase over 2008 in the forced removal of immigrant criminals.
It seems this administration HAS been having more success with fewer raids, and also more success than the previous administration

Definitely something I can reside with the president on....you're going to save that 12,500 easily over the next year. **** one or two treatments in the ER would be close. Getting a majority of them out would be a slow but good jump start for the economy overtime.

It has been the law of the land for many years that to hire an illegal alien is a crime and yet is has gone largely ignored, and it's about time that some teeth be put in the law ans extend it to cover those elected to office who fail to uphold their oath for allowing their City to be as Sanctuary such as San Diego, L.A., and San Francisco and any others.

The law should give each of these people 30 days to comply with and Enforce Federal law or face a minimum of 3 years in Federal Prison removal from office and be stripped as all Felons are of all the rights to vote own a gun etc.

Take away their ability to get legitimate jobs with phony or stolen social security numbers. The SSA and IRS are all too well aware of multiple people using a single social security number. One lady from California had 81 people in 17 states using hers and this isn't a unique story. With modern computer databases, it wouldn't be hard to pluck out all the duplicate or non issued users excepting the original issuee. Then send notices to their employers the duplicate users payments are coming from that there appears to be an error and they must verify the social security number within 30 days or face massive fines and jail time. Enforcement had a ripple effect back in 2006 when IFCO (wooden palette maker) got caught in a Government sting. A local area electronics maker fired 88 employees that couldn't produce a valid SSN and they weren't under scrutiny by ICE. The jobs were quickly filled with citizens. E-Verify must become manditory, no exceptions and used to verify citizenship for any government benefits. Take away their ability to get legitimate jobs with forged paperwork and they will go home on their own.

This is a simple cost effective way to open up several million existing jobs to citizens out of work. It will also save Billions in Government benefits going to those who circumvented the legal immigration process.

...Arrests from worksite raids for immigration-related offenses, such as using a forged driver's license or a fake Social Security number, have dropped by 70% since the end of the Bush administration, when a series of large raids of factories and meatpacking plants received national media attention.

With unemployment over 9%, "it is hard to imagine a worse time to cut worksite enforcement efforts by more than half," Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas), chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, said Wednesday. "Citizens and legal immigrants should not be forced to compete with illegal workers for jobs."

Immigration: Republicans call on Obama administration to return to workplace raids - latimes.com

It has been the law of the land for many years that to hire an illegal alien is a crime and yet is has gone largely ignored, and it's about time that some teeth be put in the law ans extend it to cover those elected to office who fail to uphold their oath for allowing their City to be as Sanctuary such as San Diego, L.A., and San Francisco and any others.

The law should give each of these people 30 days to comply with and Enforce Federal law or face a minimum of 3 years in Federal Prison removal from office and be stripped as all Felons are of all the rights to vote own a gun etc.

This ^^^^

I cannot support enough ICE raids and holding company's / corporations responsible and fining them heavily for hiring illegals. If I had my way, I'd fine company's who knowingly hire illegals $1M per illegal, and tack it onto their IRS taxes for the rest of their lives. Of course, I'd post a public notice 90 days before hand, with a short bio on all the officers who will be carrying out the raid, just to show how fair and serious I'd be in carrying it out.

I have no problem with this, it not only hurts Americans but also the illegals. They are getting screwed out of an American wage, and these companies are doing nothing more then ripping us all off, and pocketing the savings brought on by illegal work.

Last edited:
If the Obama admin's method is more effective, than thats what we should be doing. Especially if its cheaper.

If the Obama admin's method is more effective, than thats what we should be doing. Especially if its cheaper.

See, I'm in a different spot. I say make this a federal revenue generator, instead of something we as a country position as a "savings".

See, I'm in a different spot. I say make this a federal revenue generator, instead of something we as a country position as a "savings".

I would not be opposed to turning a CC into a PC.

I am all for this. For too many years, the illegals have been made out to be the heavies in this issue, when all they are doing is trying to make a living. But the real crooks behind it all are the employers who hire them, and who should be in jail.

Here is the deal, the way I see it:

1) Workplace raids? You betcha. Deport all illegal aliens caught up in them.

2) Prison terms for the employers who hire them. This should be enacted as a Federal felony, punishable by a year in jail for the first offense, and 5 years in prison for the second.

Enact this, and then we can watch the flow of illegals into this country slow to a trickle.

I am all for this. For too many years, the illegals have been made out to be the heavies in this issue, when all they are doing is trying to make a living. But the real crooks behind it all are the employers who hire them, and who should be in jail.

2) Prison terms for the employers who hire them. This should be enacted as a Federal felony, punishable by a year in jail for the first offense, and 5 years in prison for the second.

Enact this, and then we can watch the flow of illegals into this country slow to a trickle.

I agree. Just make the hiring managers and/or HR responsible and on the hook and watch things straighten up.

I have no problem with this, it not only hurts Americans but also the illegals. They are getting screwed out of an American wage, and these companies are doing nothing more then ripping us all off, and pocketing the savings brought on by illegal work.

Yeah, but they pay a penny in taxes, either. So, I would wait a minute before I felt sorry for them.

I agree. Just make the hiring managers and/or HR responsible and on the hook and watch things straighten up.

I think we should just enforce the law. It's already illegal to hire an illegal alien.

What really surprises me is to find out how off all the anti-immigrant ranting seems to have been. The article goes on and presents some information that I was unaware of previously.

It seems this administration HAS been having more success with fewer raids, and also more success than the previous administration

They could offset the costs of these raids and the deportations by heavily fining those doing the hiring.

I see the illegal problem as a supply/demand issue -- if people were being hit with huge fines and even face jail time for using undocumented workers, the number of available jobs would decline.

I support heavy fines for employers who use illegals-- of course, forcing CA farms to use documented workers would drive up the cost of many items -- a trip to the supermarket would become quite expensive. CA wines would cost as much as French wines.

This ^^^^

I cannot support enough ICE raids and holding company's / corporations responsible and fining them heavily for hiring illegals. If I had my way, I'd fine company's who knowingly hire illegals $1M per illegal, and tack it onto their IRS taxes for the rest of their lives. Of course, I'd post a public notice 90 days before hand, with a short bio on all the officers who will be carrying out the raid, just to show how fair and serious I'd be in carrying it out.

If I had it my way not only would we severely fine the companies that hire illegals but make them subject to the same laws that drug dealers, mobsters and other criminals who profit from and or use their money for illegal activities. Upon conviction their property and assets should be seized and they should be thrown in prison. It takes two to tango. So just like an illegal alien can face jail time and be deported, the traitors who hire these illegals should be severely punished with prison time,loss of assets,severely fined as well as pay for the costs of jailing and deporting illegals.

Last edited:
deport the illegal and the guy that hired him... a boeing 707 and a parachute, it's pretty cheap.

Yeah, but they pay a penny in taxes, either. So, I would wait a minute before I felt sorry for them.

I do feel sorry for them, all they are trying to do is improve their lives, and they are being exploited by greedy assholes just trying to improve their bottom line.

I do feel sorry for them, all they are trying to do is improve their lives, and they are being exploited by greedy assholes just trying to improve their bottom line.

But, they're doing it illegally. Drug dealers are only trying to improve their lives, too. Feel sorry for a drug dealer?

and they are being exploited by greedy assholes just trying to improve their bottom line.

The illegals aren't paying a dime in taxes, either. I'd say they're taking advantage of the system, just like the employers are.

Last edited:

That is simply not true. When they purchase fuel, consumables, etc..., they are paying taxes as well. They also pay federal income taxes.

Illegal immigrants are paying taxes to Uncle Sam, experts agree. Just how much they pay is hard to determine because the federal government doesn't fully tally it. But the latest figures available indicate it will amount to billions of dollars in federal income, Social Security and Medicare taxes this year. One rough estimate puts the amount of Social Security taxes alone at around $9 billion per year.

Source

I'd call that a
foot%20in%20mouth.jpeg

I would allow the employers to serve their time on a prison farm, growing vegetables....:2razz:

But, they're doing it illegally. Drug dealers are only trying to improve their lives, too. Feel sorry for a drug dealer?

The illegals aren't paying a dime in taxes, either. I'd say they're taking advantage of the system, just like the employers are.

They do pay tax's when they buy stuff, they aren't paying all the taxes they would, but don't pretend they don't pay anything. Also I don't classify illegal immigrants as bad people, just people trying to improve their lives, and I think that it should be easier for people to immigrate legally, while also stopping the people exploiting the illegal immigrants by giving them jobs at unreasonable wages. That will solve illegal immigration.

That is simply not true. When they purchase fuel, consumables, etc..., they are paying taxes as well. They also pay federal income taxes.

Source

I'd call that a
foot%20in%20mouth.jpeg

They don't pay payroll, nor income taxes. Sales taxes are a drop in the bucket. I wish that I could get away with just paying sales taxes.

For a long time, I have said that if you want to curb illegal immigration of our southern border, the easiest way to do so, is to hammer those that employee those illegals.

There is however a side effect to this, that most American's will not like, I happen to work in an industry that is dominated by Mexican workers most can and do have a SS card and a drivers license. I know this because I have to have copies on file, and have to be able to produce them to protect the company I work for from such fines being levied.

I work in the construction industry, and have had Fred Flintstone, Bill Clinton, and John Wayne to list a few working on my sites. But by the law, the company is covered because we have SS cards and drivers licenses on file. So the law is very weak, and only those that have a blatant disregard for it are ever fined.

The side effect I mentioned is going to be higher costs, in rental apartments, housing developments, and even most commercial projects, which in return is going to lead to higher rental costs, and higher costs in affordable housing.

The higher costs come from various things, not just wages, because many of the subcontracting crews pay these people well, or it might be better to say they earn a good wage, the major difference being that most are not paid an hourly wage, they are paid for production, the more they produce, the more they are paid, and they as a whole, tend to work harder, longer, and their production, far exceeds that of hourly workers.

This is not an attack on the American work force, it's just stating something that is factual, and American people are sometimes fickle when it comes to wanting things produced and made by American's then being presented with such things, only to find them more expensive.

Last edited:
They don't pay payroll, nor income taxes. Sales taxes are a drop in the bucket. I wish that I could get away with just paying sales taxes.

Incorrect. Many illegals pay various taxes on the federal level.

Back
Top Bottom