• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans successfully suppress mail in votes in Minnesota

By that logic, we should not have mail-in voting at all.

It does not help people who can't live their houses for whatever reason.

Nor does it help people who just mailed their votes today or yesterday.

In any case, you saying they can vote another way does not take away from Republicans making it more difficult on purpose for people to cast their ballots. FOR NO REASON AT ALL. (Well, of course we know their reason is vote suppression...)

We shouldn't. It should be obvious by now that it's unsecure.

Votes that arrive late shouldn't be counted. What are we going to do, count ballots until July?
I said this when mail-in became an option. this reeks of Democrat voter fraud. I read previously of ballots with either a D or R in the registry number on the envelope. Now tell me that doesn't invite ballot harvesting?

Federal Law overrides state law .........
If they are following state law, then there is no voting violation. States have the power to determine their own method of selecting their electors and conduction their own elections.

I said this when mail-in became an option. this reeks of Democrat voter fraud. I read previously of ballots with either a D or R in the registry number on the envelope. Now tell me that doesn't invite ballot harvesting?

Especially if, by Wednesday morning Trump is ahead. The Democrats will be finding "lost" ballots in the trunks of cars, broom closets, abandoned warehouses, you name it.

You're right: the mail-in-ballot plan is just a scheme to try to steal the election.

Especially if, by Wednesday morning Trump is ahead. The Democrats will be finding "lost" ballots in the trunks of cars, broom closets, abandoned warehouses, you name it.

You're right: the mail-in-ballot plan is just a scheme to try to steal the election.
And if they succeed, God help us. this country would be doomed.

The gap between asking for a ballot and finally receiving it usually involves a long delay like 4 to 6 weeks. People get their ballots late. They mail them now. The post office runs slow on purpose.

It's not hard to see what is really happening here.

I requested my mail in ballot 6-7 weeks ago and put it in the mail on October 4. Guess that’s not the normal experience.

See step #3 in the OP.

My guess is that people who passed the law did not expect a President to slow down the mail in front of an election.

According to a NY Times article published a couple of days ago election mail looks to be being delivered on time and most first class mail within three days - short distance 1st class mail is supposed to be delivered in 2 days. Not conclusive but there doesn’t seem to be data supporting the idea that non business / non bulk mail is currently being delivered excessively late.

Why is a postmark not acceptable? It's just another way to make sure some votes don't get counted.
No. Its not a conspiracy. Its a literal interpretation of the statutory language. The statute does not mention 'postmark date'. It says
ballots delivered by mail to elections officials after 8 p.m. on Election Day should be marked late.

Its a process question. Where did the Secretary get the authority to replace the language of the statute with his and your ( and mine for that matter) preferred standard based on a postmark date? This is exactly what I have been warning people about for months now. These cases are all over this country where well meaning administrators at the state or local level have been making decisions that may be beyond their scope and the clear language of the legislative language over years . Often nobody has been paying attention because lawyers have not been monitoring these calls and folks have gotten sloppy about the process.

The solution has been sitting there. Its for the Secretary to propose an amendment in the next legislative session recognizing postmark date instead of delivery date, and for the legislature to pass that language. If you want something broader that covers other contingencies, you ask for language providing the secretary with the authority to extend the deadline, by say - two weeks based on his own discretion that exigent circumstances (Like Covid, or a hurricane, or a postal strike etc) have forced a delay. But the authority cannot be assumed.

Votes that arrive late shouldn't be counted. What are we going to do, count ballots until July?
If necessary, yes. Democracy in action. Remember Trump's words: if every vote was counted we'd never have a republican elected. Republican strategy is therefore to supress votes. Obvious.

If necessary, yes. Democracy in action. Remember Trump's words: if every vote was counted we'd never have a republican elected. Republican strategy is therefore to supress votes. Obvious.

That's stupidity in action. No country has indefinite vote counting and for good reason.

The gap between asking for a ballot and finally receiving it usually involves a long delay like 4 to 6 weeks. People get their ballots late. They mail them now. The post office runs slow on purpose.

It's not hard to see what is really happening here.

I got my absentee ballot in six days. What ****ed up state do you live in? Ohio, isn't it?

1. Convince the Cult pandemic is not an issue

2. Convince the Cult to vote in person

3. Slow down mail

4. Throw out late arriving votes

Check-mate

If Biden overcomes all of these voter suppression obstacles and still wins, it will be an achievement right up there with climbing to the top of Mt. Everest.

Repugs are Nazis. **** them all.

Why is a postmark not acceptable? It's just another way to make sure some votes don't get counted.

Its the law. Take up your objections with the Minnesota legislature.

The effort will fail and Minnesota will go to Biden. All republicans are accomplishing here is reinforcing the conclusion that the courts have been transformed into an open adversary of Democrats, and why it’s so important to expand the courts.

If republicans think we’re going to forget everything the courts have done to suppress the vote come January 20, they are woefully mistaken.

No. Its not a conspiracy. Its a literal interpretation of the statutory language. The statute does not mention 'postmark date'. It says
ballots delivered by mail to elections officials after 8 p.m. on Election Day should be marked late.

Its a process question. Where did the Secretary get the authority to replace the language of the statute with his and your ( and mine for that matter) preferred standard based on a postmark date? This is exactly what I have been warning people about for months now. These cases are all over this country where well meaning administrators at the state or local level have been making decisions that may be beyond their scope and the clear language of the legislative language over years . Often nobody has been paying attention because lawyers have not been monitoring these calls and folks have gotten sloppy about the process.

The solution has been sitting there. Its for the Secretary to propose an amendment in the next legislative session recognizing postmark date instead of delivery date, and for the legislature to pass that language. If you want something broader that covers other contingencies, you ask for language providing the secretary with the authority to extend the deadline, by say - two weeks based on his own discretion that exigent circumstances (Like Covid, or a hurricane, or a postal strike etc) have forced a delay. But the authority cannot be assumed.
Should be marked late...does that mean they are or aren't counted? What does marked late mean? They go to limbo?

The effort will fail and Minnesota will go to Biden. All republicans are accomplishing here is reinforcing the conclusion that the courts have been transformed into an open adversary of Democrats, and why it’s so important to expand the courts.

If republicans think we’re going to forget everything the courts have done to suppress the vote come January 20, they are woefully mistaken.
These folks who reply with it's the law, will I think regret the statement. After everything I've seen since the two thousand election it's time for the dems to start fighting back. Should the dems take control of all branches of government, expand the supreme court and don't make the mistake obama made by trying to get the R's to play fair and negotiate with them, screw that, ram everything possible through congress and sign it into 'law' and let them complain.

These folks who reply with it's the law, will I think regret the statement. After everything I've seen since the two thousand election it's time for the dems to start fighting back. Should the dems take control of all branches of government, expand the supreme court and don't make the mistake obama made by trying to get the R's to play fair and negotiate with them, screw that, ram everything possible through congress and sign it into 'law' and let them complain.
Under Biden? Lol, Nah.

I guess I disagree with Republicans. I think that the right to vote is important.
disagree that the state shouldn't follow it's own laws? The state of minnesota passed and signed this law, not republican. If anyone is surpressing votes, it's minnesota lol

if they suppress enough votes, the election will not be legitimate.
no one is suppressing votes.
you don't get to vote after the polls close that is the state law.
don't like the law change it.

don't get your ballot in on time then it is your fault.
sorry but the election will be legitimate.

See in this country we only count valid votes not invalid ones.
you opinion of what is legitimate is dismissed.

By that logic, we should not have mail-in voting at all.

It does not help people who can't live their houses for whatever reason.

Nor does it help people who just mailed their votes today or yesterday.

In any case, you saying they can vote another way does not take away from Republicans making it more difficult on purpose for people to cast their ballots. FOR NO REASON AT ALL. (Well, of course we know their reason is vote suppression...)
It is called state law.

The state passed a law saying that only votes received at or on this date can be counted.
the only people allowed to change such law is the state legislature. no one else.
that is how our country works.

No one is suppressing votes. if you don't like the law then change the law.

Point 1 : As I understand it the court ruled that the extension violates state election law. Like it or not the law must be followed.

Point 2 : What in hell is wrong with people? If you're going to vote by mail don't be a dope and wait until the last minute.
I was in the process of moving. I very much had to vote by mail.
i requested a mail ballot and then i put it in the mail months before the election i am able to sign online and see if it was delivered.
i also could have dropped it off at the main elections office as well.

no one is suppressing votes.
you don't get to vote after the polls close that is the state law.
don't like the law change it.

don't get your ballot in on time then it is your fault.
sorry but the election will be legitimate.

See in this country we only count valid votes not invalid ones.
you opinion of what is legitimate is dismissed.

It still isn't opposite day.

It still isn't opposite day.
facts say otherwise. you opinion on what is legitimate is irrelevant it is simply your opinion.
we only count legal votes.

Back
Top Bottom