• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans Subpoena James Comey and Loretta Lynch Over Clinton Email Case

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Bob Goodlatte, Republican House Judiciary Committee committee’s chairman has issued subpoenas for James B. Comey, and Loretta E. Lynch, the former attorney general, as part of an investigation into their handling of inquiries into Hillary Clinton’s email server. The Republican House has approximately ten days between their being in control and the flipping of the House. Suddenly they feel that now is the time to get to the bottom of the Clinton email investigation? After that they can jump right into another investigation of Benghazi. This investigation is pure nonsense. Neither James Comey or Loretta Lynch should ever agree to a closed hearing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/22/us/politics/james-comey-loretta-lynch-subpoena.html

The House Judiciary Committee has issued subpoenas for James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director, and Loretta E. Lynch, the former attorney general, as part of an investigation into their handling of inquiries into Hillary Clinton’s email server and possible ties between the Trump campaign and Russia.

The subpoenas, issued on Wednesday by Representative Robert W. Goodlatte of Virginia, the committee’s chairman and a Republican, require Mr. Comey and Ms. Lynch to appear in closed-door sessions with members of Mr. Goodlatte’s committee and the Oversight and Government Reform Committee. Mr. Comey has been called to appear on Dec. 3, and Ms. Lynch a day later.

On Twitter, Mr. Comey objected to the format that Republicans are demanding for the interview. “I’m still happy to sit in the light and answer all questions,” he said. “But I will resist a ‘closed door’ thing because I’ve seen enough of their selective leaking and distortion. Let’s have a hearing and invite everyone to see.”

Several Republicans have said they believe that Mr. Comey and Ms. Lynch were part of a deeply rooted bias within the F.B.I. and the Justice Department that allowed Ms. Clinton to escape prosecution for her use of a private email server during her time as secretary of state. The Republicans have also alleged impropriety in the origins of the investigation into the Trump campaign’s connections to Russia.

With Democrats seizing the majority in the House in the midterm elections — and preparing their own wave of subpoenas against Trump administration officials — House Republicans have a short window to press their case against Mr. Comey and Ms. Lynch.

Bob Goodlatte, Republican House Judiciary Committee committee’s chairman has issued subpoenas for James B. Comey, and Loretta E. Lynch, the former attorney general, as part of an investigation into their handling of inquiries into Hillary Clinton’s email server. The Republican House has approximately ten days between their being in control and the flipping of the House. Suddenly they feel that now is the time to get to the bottom of the Clinton email investigation? After that they can jump right into another investigation of Benghazi. This investigation is pure nonsense. Neither James Comey or Loretta Lynch should ever agree to a closed hearing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/22/us/politics/james-comey-loretta-lynch-subpoena.html

The House Judiciary Committee has issued subpoenas for James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director, and Loretta E. Lynch, the former attorney general, as part of an investigation into their handling of inquiries into Hillary Clinton’s email server and possible ties between the Trump campaign and Russia.

The subpoenas, issued on Wednesday by Representative Robert W. Goodlatte of Virginia, the committee’s chairman and a Republican, require Mr. Comey and Ms. Lynch to appear in closed-door sessions with members of Mr. Goodlatte’s committee and the Oversight and Government Reform Committee. Mr. Comey has been called to appear on Dec. 3, and Ms. Lynch a day later.

On Twitter, Mr. Comey objected to the format that Republicans are demanding for the interview. “I’m still happy to sit in the light and answer all questions,” he said. “But I will resist a ‘closed door’ thing because I’ve seen enough of their selective leaking and distortion. Let’s have a hearing and invite everyone to see.”

Several Republicans have said they believe that Mr. Comey and Ms. Lynch were part of a deeply rooted bias within the F.B.I. and the Justice Department that allowed Ms. Clinton to escape prosecution for her use of a private email server during her time as secretary of state. The Republicans have also alleged impropriety in the origins of the investigation into the Trump campaign’s connections to Russia.

With Democrats seizing the majority in the House in the midterm elections — and preparing their own wave of subpoenas against Trump administration officials — House Republicans have a short window to press their case against Mr. Comey and Ms. Lynch.

Of course they shouldn't agree to a closed hearing. If they do, they'll be forced to answer questions they'd rather not answer.

Of course they shouldn't agree to a closed hearing. If they do, they'll be forced to answer questions they'd rather not answer.

That's not the reason at all. This investigation is pure nonsense. Neither James Comey or Loretta Lynch should ever agree to a closed hearing. This isn't transparency, this is conspiracy generation. Selective leaking comes out and becomes nothing more than conspiracy. There has been zero outreach by the Republicans to either Comey or Lynch over the last many months. How extraordinary is that? To have no continuity and no outreach and suddenly at the 11th hour of Republican House control they decide to subpoena both Comey and Lynch. It's just nonsensical.

I wonder how many investigations interviews Comey conducted for the FBI in an open forum? If Comey is concerned about leaks he could just leak his side to a professor friend to leak to the press. If Lynch could watch Comey's interview on TV it could save her the trouble of meeting him on a plane on the tarmac of an airport to get her story straight. :roll:

Last edited:
That's not the reason at all. This investigation is pure nonsense. Neither James Comey or Loretta Lynch should ever agree to a closed hearing. This isn't transparency, this is conspiracy generation. Selective leaking comes out and becomes nothing more than conspiracy. There has been zero outreach by the Republicans to either Comey or Lynch over the last many months. How extraordinary is that? To have no continuity and no outreach and suddenly at the 11th hour of Republican House control they decide to subpoena both Comey and Lynch. It's just nonsensical.

How about doing both? You KNOW that there are things that neither can answer in a public forum due to them being top secret/confidential etc etc. Questions related to such things should be done in a closed forum. The rest should be answered in a public forum.

I sort of side with the left on this. The gop is good at majing noise but nothing comes from it. If they wanted to investigate this they should of done it months ago. I have no interest in watching them two mock the justice system then waltz off untouched.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There are questions that Comey could refuse to answer an open forum because of National Security They are trying to get them on record under oath now because the IG and Huber are investigating them.

How about doing both? You KNOW that there are things that neither can answer in a public forum due to them being top secret/confidential etc etc. Questions related to such things should be done in a closed forum. The rest should be answered in a public forum.

I wouldn't trust those Republicans, anything that's said in private would be leaked and misconstrued or misinterpreted to serve their agenda. It would be totally biased and neither Comey or Lynch could prove differently. It has to be done publicly or not at all.

Some democrats are forced to admit Congress and the FBI can and do start investigations which are "pure nonsense," but most democrats do not want to believe that about Mueller's tribal Obamanite witch hunt.

There are questions that Comey could refuse to answer an open forum because of National Security They are trying to get them on record under oath now because the IG and Huber are investigating them.

Months ago, Comey and Attorney General Lynch both indicated their willingness to answer the Chairman's questions voluntarily, but since that time, the Republicans have had no contact with either Comey or Loretta Lynch since then.

One day after the subpoenas were issued, James Comey's lawyer stated: "While the authority for Congressional subpoenas is broad, it does not cover the right to misuse closed hearings as a political stunt to promote political as opposed to legislative agendas." This is nothing more than a lame duck GOP attempt to use the issue to derail or discredit Robert Mueller's investigation.

Months ago, Comey and Attorney General Lynch both indicated their willingness to answer the Chairman's questions voluntarily, but since that time, the Republicans have had no contact with either Comey or Loretta Lynch since then.

One day after the subpoenas were issued, James Comey's lawyer stated: "While the authority for Congressional subpoenas is broad, it does not cover the right to misuse closed hearings as a political stunt to promote political as opposed to legislative agendas." This is nothing more than a lame duck GOP attempt to use the issue to derail or discredit Robert Mueller's investigation.

James Comey's attorney....yahda yahda yahda. :roll: Who cares what his attorney says? Comey is going to have to refuse a lawful subpoena or answer questions he would not answer the last time he was questioned in an open forum. The focus is what did Loretta Lynch and Comey talk about in the Clinton investigation not the Mueller investigation.

James Comey's attorney....yahda yahda yahda. :roll: Who cares what his attorney says? Comey is going to have to refuse a lawful subpoena or answer questions he would not answer the last time he was questioned in an open forum. The focus is what did Loretta Lynch and Comey talk about in the Clinton investigation not the Mueller investigation.

It's BS that's all. Lame duck Republicans last gasp at holding the reins of power, come January, 'poof' it's all over.

It's BS that's all. Lame duck Republicans last gasp at holding the reins of power, come January, 'poof' it's all over.
They are trying to get them to commit to a story under oath the IG and Huber are still investigating them Comey and Lynch are going down . :lol: Its fun watching Cardinal Comey squirm.

The Republican hold the Senate and subpoena power and the White House. Its hardly the last gasp at holding power. Come 2020 the Democrats will look exactly like what they obstructionists. The economy is booming now if that changes the Democrats will take the blame and if it continues the Republicans will get the credit.

They are trying to get them to commit to a story under oath the IG and Huber are still investigating them Comey and Lynch are going down . :lol: Its fun watching Cardinal Comey squirm.

It's more fun watching the Repubes squirm in anticipation for the subpoena cannon to be shot off in January.

The Republican hold the Senate and subpoena power and the White House. Its hardly the last gasp at holding power. Come 2020 the Democrats will look exactly like what they obstructionists. The economy is booming now if that changes the Democrats will take the blame and if it continues the Republicans will get the credit.

It's the last chance for the Republicans to have unchecked power.

I wouldn't trust those Republicans, anything that's said in private would be leaked and misconstrued or misinterpreted to serve their agenda. It would be totally biased and neither Comey or Lynch could prove differently. It has to be done publicly or not at all.

So the Democrats couldn't correct? It's not like the Republicans are the only ones that "leak" things ya know.

As previous closed sessions indicated, the purpose is to allow the Republicans the ability to cherry pick responses to leak to the press, for biased political advantage. Now, the Republicans, with their last gasp of House control, will display for all to see why they shouldn't be in power.

And we know Comey would never leak his side of the story.
No need. The first week the Democrats control the House, they can call Comey back and ask him the same questions that were asked in secret -- but this time in an open session.

No need. The first week the Democrats control the House, they can call Comey back and ask him the same questions that were asked in secret -- but this time in an open session.
And what about the classified stuff? We know Comey has no qualms leaking classified information

As previous closed sessions indicated, the purpose is to allow the Republicans the ability to cherry pick responses to leak to the press, for biased political advantage. Now, the Republicans, with their last gasp of House control, will display for all to see why they shouldn't be in power.

Very corrupt towns such as Washington dont do transparency.

I find it amazing that so many are saying that Republicans will only leak what is of political advantage to them while completely ignoring all the leaks that has happened under this administration both in the WH and in Congress. I mean seriously? Those of you demanding only an open session are afraid of the Republicans leaking info for political gain from a closed session while completely ignoring all of these other leaks? Do you seriously believe that its all Republican's that are leaking all the info that has been leaked since Trump took office? Or perhaps...just perhaps Democrats have been just as guilty of doing the same damn thing for at least 2 years now? In far greater amounts than Republicans I might add...

Seriously...the only proper thing to do would be to have BOTH an OPEN session and a CLOSED session. Stop pretending that Republicans are far more guilty of leaking info for political gain than Democrats. It's complete BS and smacks of partisan hackery at the very best. Every one of you know damn well that there will be questions pertaining to national security and as such they will be barred from answering such questions in an open forum. Or perhaps that is what you really want? So that you can then point to the open session and say "SEE! I TOLD YOU THERE WAS NO THERE THERE!" knowing damn well that we did not get the full facts. It's disgusting and you all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Now...I know that many will deny what I just said. Go ahead. It won't make any difference except to expose you.

I find it amazing that so many are saying that Republicans will only leak what is of political advantage to them while completely ignoring all the leaks that has happened under this administration both in the WH and in Congress. I mean seriously? Those of you demanding only an open session are afraid of the Republicans leaking info for political gain from a closed session while completely ignoring all of these other leaks? Do you seriously believe that its all Republican's that are leaking all the info that has been leaked since Trump took office? Or perhaps...just perhaps Democrats have been just as guilty of doing the same damn thing for at least 2 years now? In far greater amounts than Republicans I might add...

Seriously...the only proper thing to do would be to have BOTH an OPEN session and a CLOSED session. Stop pretending that Republicans are far more guilty of leaking info for political gain than Democrats. It's complete BS and smacks of partisan hackery at the very best. Every one of you know damn well that there will be questions pertaining to national security and as such they will be barred from answering such questions in an open forum. Or perhaps that is what you really want? So that you can then point to the open session and say "SEE! I TOLD YOU THERE WAS NO THERE THERE!" knowing damn well that we did not get the full facts. It's disgusting and you all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Now...I know that many will deny what I just said. Go ahead. It won't make any difference except to expose you.

I will deny what you just said.

Back
Top Bottom