• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans Subpoena James Comey and Loretta Lynch Over Clinton Email Case

Actually both sides should want the whole truth to come out from both sides. I know I'm not afraid of any Russian collusion from Trump or his campaign. I am ready for Mueller to wrap things up and to show us what he found. I don't think most Democrats want the corruption on their side exposed though. If the Republicans were corrupt so be it let heads roll. But don't think the law only applies to Republicans. The law should be more important than party affiliation.

Bob Goodlatte, Republican House Judiciary Committee committee’s chairman has issued subpoenas for James B. Comey, and Loretta E. Lynch, the former attorney general, as part of an investigation into their handling of inquiries into Hillary Clinton’s email server. The Republican House has approximately ten days between their being in control and the flipping of the House. Suddenly they feel that now is the time to get to the bottom of the Clinton email investigation? After that they can jump right into another investigation of Benghazi. This investigation is pure nonsense. Neither James Comey or Loretta Lynch should ever agree to a closed hearing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/22/us/politics/james-comey-loretta-lynch-subpoena.html

Republicans Subpoena James Comey and Loretta Lynch Over Clinton Email Case

The House Judiciary Committee has issued subpoenas for James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director, and Loretta E. Lynch, the former attorney general, as part of an investigation into their handling of inquiries into Hillary Clinton’s email server and possible ties between the Trump campaign and Russia.

The subpoenas, issued on Wednesday by Representative Robert W. Goodlatte of Virginia, the committee’s chairman and a Republican, require Mr. Comey and Ms. Lynch to appear in closed-door sessions with members of Mr. Goodlatte’s committee and the Oversight and Government Reform Committee. Mr. Comey has been called to appear on Dec. 3, and Ms. Lynch a day later.

On Twitter, Mr. Comey objected to the format that Republicans are demanding for the interview. “I’m still happy to sit in the light and answer all questions,” he said. “But I will resist a ‘closed door’ thing because I’ve seen enough of their selective leaking and distortion. Let’s have a hearing and invite everyone to see.”

Several Republicans have said they believe that Mr. Comey and Ms. Lynch were part of a deeply rooted bias within the F.B.I. and the Justice Department that allowed Ms. Clinton to escape prosecution for her use of a private email server during her time as secretary of state. The Republicans have also alleged impropriety in the origins of the investigation into the Trump campaign’s connections to Russia.

With Democrats seizing the majority in the House in the midterm elections — and preparing their own wave of subpoenas against Trump administration officials — House Republicans have a short window to press their case against Mr. Comey and Ms. Lynch.

Its a game. They will demand public hearings where they can filibuster And produce no answers, and they will refuse private meetings where the rubber hits the road and tough questions are answered. The putpose being to set the table for refusals by the Trump administration who wont be cooperating with the new House committees.

Kabuki.

Fingers crossed Clinton goes to prison!

Clinton is like Bre’er Rabbit. Bre’er Fox (the GOP) can’t help themselves. (Ask your parents, young ‘uns.) How many years have they been chasing her through the briar patch?

Actually both sides should want the whole truth to come out from both sides. I know I'm not afraid of any Russian collusion from Trump or his campaign. I am ready for Mueller to wrap things up and to show us what he found. I don't think most Democrats want the corruption on their side exposed though. If the Republicans were corrupt so be it let heads roll. But don't think the law only applies to Republicans. The law should be more important than party affiliation.

Collusion probably not, obstruction of justice, oh ya!

Fingers crossed Clinton goes to prison!

How many investigations do we need into Clinton? I suppose it will never be enough. A classic witch hunt.

Good grief. The issue of the thread is not about arguing the merits of closed/open sessions. It is far more interesting than that.

The issue is clearly about the BS. After over two years since the irrational mob elected a buffoon on "lock her up," and after two whole years of Congressional and Executive power, the near to death GOP-controlled House has decided to use these last few days to get to the bottom of the Clinton crap? AND directly after Ivanka Trump gets busted for also using a private email account to conduct business?

Will there ever be a time when conservatives finally wake up to the reality that their exaggerated fears have been exacerbated and exploited (even before Trump came along to seize his moment with a leash)?

- After over two years since "build a wall," what has the GOP-controlled House, Senate, and White House actually done to reform or even address our immigration issues?

- After over two years since "drain the swamp," the elected, who helped build the swamp, immediately fed the swamp.

- After over two years since "MAGA" and "America First," the elected uses China to make his hats for the irrational mob.

Add in this latest Clinton nonsense to remind the faithful, yet again, that they are outraged, and you people really do need to do some soul searching. Note that the GOP-controlled House isn't using these last few days to address immigration reform. The only thing that the GOP has actually accomplished was to feed ever more money up at everybody else's expense.

You people want to see a better Democrat Party? It starts with conservatives finding a foundation and a direction. We live in a world where America's most unfavorable candidate in history (Trump) competed with America's second most unfavorable candidate in history (Clinton). There is a reason excellence comes from healthy competition. Right now, we are very sick.

Well, let's just not think of such uncomfortable things. Let's just stay tuned to FOX. The "War on Christmas" is about to begin.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust those Republicans, anything that's said in private would be leaked and misconstrued or misinterpreted to serve their agenda. It would be totally biased and neither Comey or Lynch could prove differently. It has to be done publicly or not at all.

I am left to wonder what you think about the "private" tarmac meeting between Lynch and Bill Clinton.

The hypocrisy among liberals is equal to or beyond the republicans.

No need. The first week the Democrats control the House, they can call Comey back and ask him the same questions that were asked in secret -- but this time in an open session.

1. The last thing the Dems want to do is look into political corruption from Obama administration pukes.

2. Asking questions in an open session is useless. Doesn't matter who's asking them, Comey won't answer because of "security concerns".

So no...there will be no questioning of Comey...in closed or open session...by the Dems.

I keep saying it. It doesn't matter. This Congressional investigation into Obama administration political corruption is over.

Just one...a real one.

Yes, a "real" one to get behind after eight years of obnoxious investigations into Bill Clinton, Obama's "birther" concerns, the tomato paste crap to defend liberty, Global Warming hoaxes, the Benghazi conspiracies...

The problem with conservatives complaining about never getting a "real" investigation is that they too often exaggerate every single issue to the point where facts simply do not matter next to the new partisan ideology. The investigation then becomes merely an exercise to validate the idea. The GOP-led House, Senate and White House has had two years to get a "real one." They didn't bother. What does that tell you?

It's BS, meant to excite the flock. And when political Parties pull this sort of tactic, it may be time to recognize that the Party is struggling to offer actual substance for the constituents to believe in. And so they tap into desperation and preserve fantasy for people who have shown that they really don't care about facts anyway. At this point, none of you care if Clinton actually did anything. You simply want to get her. This is based on irrational hate, in which the GOP and right-wing media outlets created. And now they seek to exploit that idea once again...for a few days anyway. Then they will tell you that the new narrative to cling to is that the Democrats won't allow an investigation, thereby "proving" the idea of the deep state. Victims to the end.

Good grief. The issue of the thread is not about arguing the merits of closed/open sessions. It is far more interesting than that.

The issue is clearly about the BS. After over two years since the irrational mob elected a buffoon on "lock her up," and after two whole years of Congressional and Executive power, the near to death GOP-controlled House has decided to use these last few days to get to the bottom of the Clinton crap? AND directly after Ivanka Trump gets busted for also using a private email account to conduct business?

Will there ever be a time when conservatives finally wake up to the reality that their exaggerated fears have been exacerbated and exploited (even before Trump came along to seize his moment with a leash)?

- After over two years since "build a wall," what has the GOP-controlled House, Senate, and White House actually done to reform or even address our immigration issues?

- After over two years since "drain the swamp," the elected, who helped build the swamp, immediately fed the swamp.

- After over two years since "MAGA" and "America First," the elected uses China to make his hats for the irrational mob.

Add in this latest Clinton nonsense to remind the faithful, yet again, that they are outraged, and you people really do need to do some soul searching. Note that the GOP-controlled House isn't using these last few days to address immigration reform. The only thing that the GOP has actually accomplished was to feed ever more money up at everybody else's expense.

You people want to see a better Democrat Party? It starts with conservatives finding a foundation and a direction. We live in a world where America's most unfavorable candidate in history (Trump) competed with America's second most unfavorable candidate in history (Clinton). There is a reason excellence comes from healthy competition. Right now, we are very sick.

Well, let's just not think of such uncomfortable things. Let's just stay tuned to FOX. The "War on Christmas" is about to begin.

You should read the thread title again. You seem confused.

You should read the thread title again. You seem confused.

You should actually read the OP. Unfortunately, thread titles tend to come with OPs, which tend to expound on the limited space of a title. This means that members actually have to be smarter than the simple in order to get to the point. Here, I'll go ahead and provide for you what the first paragraph states so that you don't have to strain...

Bob Goodlatte, Republican House Judiciary Committee committee’s chairman has issued subpoenas for James B. Comey, and Loretta E. Lynch, the former attorney general, as part of an investigation into their handling of inquiries into Hillary Clinton’s email server. The Republican House has approximately ten days between their being in control and the flipping of the House. Suddenly they feel that now is the time to get to the bottom of the Clinton email investigation? After that they can jump right into another investigation of Benghazi. This investigation is pure nonsense. Neither James Comey or Loretta Lynch should ever agree to a closed hearing.

You see? I'm not confused. This is not about the subpoena. This is about the timing and the obvious BS involved. And if one were to expound on this bit of BS, one might manage to see that the GOP has had two years to deal with "lock her up," "build a wall," "drain the swamp," and other such campaign hits. They have done nothing, which should leave many of you asking what the hell you have even been supporting this whole time.

You are just being obtuse because CLINTON..RAGE...IRRATIONALITY...and other such conservative nonsense. The fact that others have gravitated towards a piece of the OP that opines on not agreeing to a closed hearing, does not change the point of the thread. That is an after the fact issue.

Last edited:
1. The last thing the Dems want to do is look into political corruption from Obama administration pukes.

2. Asking questions in an open session is useless. Doesn't matter who's asking them, Comey won't answer because of "security concerns".

So no...there will be no questioning of Comey...in closed or open session...by the Dems.

I keep saying it. It doesn't matter. This Congressional investigation into Obama administration political corruption is over.

After two years of GOP-led House, Senate, and White House, apparently neither did Republicans care to look into what they know are exaggerations. The only one's that don't seem to be in on the right-wing created joke are the many conservatives running around the country clinging to FOX News jabs, conspiracy theories, and extreme notions of victimhood.

Just one...a real one.

You mean a fishing expedition lol. How many whacks does a GOP Congress want? I am more interested in the current WH occupant and his obstruction of justice. Perhaps you can get Mueller to investigate Hilldog, he seems to get results, unlike the GOP Congress.

Months ago, Comey and Attorney General Lynch both indicated their willingness to answer the Chairman's questions voluntarily, but since that time, the Republicans have had no contact with either Comey or Loretta Lynch since then.

One day after the subpoenas were issued, James Comey's lawyer stated: "While the authority for Congressional subpoenas is broad, it does not cover the right to misuse closed hearings as a political stunt to promote political as opposed to legislative agendas." This is nothing more than a lame duck GOP attempt to use the issue to derail or discredit Robert Mueller's investigation.

SIAP. *Snort* You think attorneys for Comey and Lynch have more authority than the house? Shouldn't the house have, at least, a little more authority? Stein, for example, doesn't think so.

Well, 'stein has set a really bad precedent, here, with his slow walking or even denial of information to congressional committees of DOJ/FBI activities and reports concerning DOJ/FBI investigations of Trump associates in the alleged Trump collusion thing.

Last edited:
Just one...a real one.

You have a GOP President and both Houses, go for it, and stop bellyaching lol Your issue should be with the GOP Congress.

SIAP. *Snort* You think attorneys for Comey and Lynch have more authority than the house? Shouldn't the house have, at least, a little more authority? Stein, for example, doesn't think so.

Well, 'stein has set a really bad precedent, here, with his slow walking or even denial of information to congressional committees of DOJ/FBI activities and reports concerning DOJ/FBI investigations of Trump associates in the alleged Trump collusion thing.

Who or what is “stein”?

Why didn’t you type out his full name the first time? It’s not like you had trouble spelling it.

The Frankenstein association to him, I admit.

The Frankenstein association to him, I admit.

Weird. So why didn’t you type out “Frankenstein” the first time?

Weird. So why didn’t you type out “Frankenstein” the first time?

Too long. Besides, I hear TV announcers pronounce Rosenstein's name as STEEN and STEIN and the way I differentiate it is with the Frankenstein reference. So it's a memory aid.

Msgt hit it on the head, below.
After two years of GOP-led House, Senate, and White House, apparently neither did Republicans care to look into what they know are exaggerations. The only one's that don't seem to be in on the right-wing created joke are the many conservatives running around the country clinging to FOX News jabs, conspiracy theories, and extreme notions of victimhood.
From the Cult45 nuts screaming "LOCK HER UP" at campaign rallies and their cult leader promising to put her in jail, after two years, those of us who have brains can see what has happened. Candidate Trump needed an enemy to demonize to excite his dim-witted supporters to vote for him. They did that. He doesn't need to take it to the next level.

Before that, the Republican controlled House endlessly investigated Mrs. Clinton. They even made her testify for 12 hours straight. So, what chargeable deeds were uncovered from all of this investigating? Nothing whatsoever. Mc, you believe lies and fantasies because it feeds your warped ideology. You then dismiss truth and facts because they undercut that ideology that you want to cling to -- because rejecting long-held beliefs in the face of contradicting facts would mean admitting you got it all wrong -- and that's too hard to handle.

Bull****.

Have you forgotten the text messages? The memos? The FISA application? Have you forgotten the demands for information from the House AND the Senate that have been resisted by the DOJ and FBI? Have you forgotten all of the people who have been summoned to the House and Senate committees? The people...including Comey...who "can't remember", "can't answer because of an ongoing investigation", "can't answer because of security concerns"?

Your nonsense about Republicans not wanting to look into the Obama administration corruption is total bull****.

You are a prime example of my sig (see below)

Back
Top Bottom