• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

REPUBLICANS PLAN PUSH FOR ELIMINATION OF IRS

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Source: Drudge Report

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX SUN AUG 01, 2004 21:01:25 ET XXXXX

REPUBLICANS PLAN PUSH FOR ELIMINATION OF IRS

**Exclusive**

A domestic centerpiece of the Bush/GOP agenda for a second Bush term is getting rid of the Internal Revenue Service, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

The Speaker of the House will push for replacing the nation's current tax system with a national sales tax or a value added tax, Hill sources tell DRUDGE.

"People ask me if I’m really calling for the elimination of the IRS, and I say I think that’s a great thing to do for future generations of Americans," Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert explains in his new book, to be released on Wednesday.

"Pushing reform legislation will be difficult. Change of any sort seldom comes easy. But these changes are critical to our economic vitality and our economic security abroad," Hastert declares in SPEAKER: LESSONS FROM FORTY YEARS IN COACHING AND POLITICS.

"“If you own property, stock, or, say, one hundred acres of farmland and tax time is approaching, you don’t want to make a mistake, so you’re almost obliged to go to a certified public accountant, tax preparer, or tax attorney to help you file a correct return. That costs a lot of money. Now multiply the amount you have to pay by the total number of people who are in the same boat. You can’t. No one can because precise numbers don’t exist. But we can stipulate that we’re talking about a huge amount. Now consider that a flat tax, national sales tax, or VAT would not only eliminate the need to do this, it could also eliminate the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) itself and make the process of paying taxes much easier."

"By adopting a VAT, sales tax, or some other alternative, we could begin to change productivity. If you can do that, you can change gross national product and start growing the economy. You could double the economy over the next fifteen years. All of a sudden, the problem of what future generations owe in Social Security and Medicare won’t be so daunting anymore. The answer is to grow the economy, and the key to doing that is making sure we have a tax system that attracts capital and builds incentives to keep it here instead of forcing it out to other nations."

:applaud

I am all for flat tax everybody pays 10% and the rich still pay more than the poor. It is fair and we are all paying the same percentage.

A flat tax would be awesome, provided exemptions don't start creeping in, ie, no tax on certain foods, items used in the conducting of business, etc...

I don't see why I need to pay a higher tax rate just because my income is at a certain level. Besides, that, if you happen to be have an income that's sitting just above the hairy edge of the next bracket, your screwed! :boom

17% for flat tax was the last I read.

I still woulnd't mind a national sales tax instead. Either way, flat or sales - it beats the fire out of what we have now.

No we need to pay our taxes, this is how this country survive, this is how our government survive. Despite the popular hatred for the government if we stop paying our taxes this country will head south and before you know there will not be any difference between here and a 3rd world country. That would be really sad. By the way did you know they don't pay tax in Haiti :?:

Read the item again, LP. It references going changing to a flat tax or a national sales tax, and doing away with the complicated graduated tax system and simplifying the system. This is not the same as not paying taxes at all. Besides that, I don't understand why a person would have to pay a higher percentage simply because their income is higher. The current system is nothing more than legalized theft that punishes someone for working harder and striving to make more money. A flat rate for everyone, regardless of income would be much more equitable.

Back
Top Bottom