• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans may block Trump from another shutdown

sangha

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/28/government-shutdown-republicans-trump-1133101

[h=1]Republicans may block Trump from another shutdown[/h]
Senate Republicans can’t stomach another shutdown.
After weathering 35 days of a partial government closure, the Senate GOP is dreading the possibility another one will hit in less than three weeks — a sentiment that could prevent President Donald Trump from closing the government again.

Though House Republicans aren’t ruling out supporting the president should he choose another confrontation over his border wall, the Republican Senate majority — which actually has governing power — has another view.

“I did not love the shutdown. I wouldn’t think anybody would have another shutdown,” said Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), one of the key negotiators trying to strike a deal on border security.

If they do, it will be the smartest thing they have done in years

Trump and McConnell effectively **** all over the GOP with this shutdown and it was shown to be a big waste of time and money. If the GOP don't take their party back, many of them will be lose their re-election. There are more seats for the senate to lose this coming election and it is a presidential election coming up which means higher turn out rates.

McConnell has to go

If the GOP was smart they would pass all of the spending bills with veto free margins without the wall, but add billions to border security and dare Trump too actually veto the bills. If they allow hi to either shutdown the government again or even use the emergency way out, they will look like the party that can not govern. This is especially true after the last two years. I do not think they will do so, so they keep the 37% of the country that goes along with everything Trump says, but they lose the 63% of the country that will blame them for Trump's actions.

The reason republicans have a hard time getting good things done in Congress is that too many of them cave in to illogical, unreasonable, unethical, unyielding, corrupt democrat demands.

If Trump is smart for a change he won’t risk a veto, though I can see him visualizing himself a hero for his base in going down in flames. The danger for him is that the act of cutting him down may embolden the Republican Senate to actually continue doing its job.

The reason republicans have a hard time getting good things done in Congress is that too many of them cave in to illogical, unreasonable, unethical, unyielding, corrupt democrat demands.

You mean illogical, unreasonable, unethical, unyielding and corrupt demands from Trump that Mexico would pay for the wall? A phrase that he still utters.

You do realize there are other solutions BESIDES just a wall right? There is only ONE reason Trump wants the wall and that is because he was caught in a lie. This wall is PURELY political and not about border security.

So what happened when they had control of Congress?

Hmmm, well we'll see what happens because all of this will come back in just a few weeks.

You mean illogical, unreasonable, unethical, unyielding and corrupt demands from Trump that Mexico would pay for the wall? A phrase that he still utters.

You do realize there are other solutions BESIDES just a wall right? There is only ONE reason Trump wants the wall and that is because he was caught in a lie. This wall is PURELY political and not about border security.

I'll give Trump some leeway here. I do think he wants to secure the border, what I think he did wrong was go about it the purely rhetorical route and make bold claims he wasn't guaranteed delivering. For starters, he had a pretty broad scope in terms of the wall's coverage; "sea to shining sea" as he put it because if it had gaps people would go through them. Then he stated Mexico would pay for it, without having anything clear mechanism on how to do it. Had he done his homework and presented the case he's currently making for the significantly reduced border barrier/wall and some immigration reform measures, he might have had a better go of it. The odd thing is he didn't make this strong a push while he had the opportunity to do so (GOP controlled Congress, and Democrats willing to exchange wall funding for DACA protections).

Good if true. However, Republicans grumble behind Trump's back all the time, and bend the knee to his face. We'll see.

I think "Stood up to Trump" will be a good thing for Republican politicians to have on their resume when the dust settles...

To hide their real objective of destroying Trump democrats claim they are against a wall because Trump said Mexico would pay for it.

Trump and McConnell effectively **** all over the GOP with this shutdown and it was shown to be a big waste of time and money. If the GOP don't take their party back, many of them will be lose their re-election. There are more seats for the senate to lose this coming election and it is a presidential election coming up which means higher turn out rates.

The only way Trump can shut down the government now is if the House and Senate pass a bill that gets 60 Senate votes and he vetos it.

I'll give Trump some leeway here. I do think he wants to secure the border, what I think he did wrong was go about it the purely rhetorical route and make bold claims he wasn't guaranteed delivering. For starters, he had a pretty broad scope in terms of the wall's coverage; "sea to shining sea" as he put it because if it had gaps people would go through them. Then he stated Mexico would pay for it, without having anything clear mechanism on how to do it. Had he done his homework and presented the case he's currently making for the significantly reduced border barrier/wall and some immigration reform measures, he might have had a better go of it. The odd thing is he didn't make this strong a push while he had the opportunity to do so (GOP controlled Congress, and Democrats willing to exchange wall funding for DACA protections).

My question is that if was such an emergency, why did he not say so at the time they did control Congress and get something done. He only found it to be such an emergency once he had agreed to a solution before the shutdown and then got yelled at by the right wing media. All at once it became a grave emergency. There is no emergency on the border, the emergency is if Trump does not get his wall he might lose many of his followers.

The only way Trump can shut down the government now is if the House and Senate pass a bill that gets 60 Senate votes and he vetos it.

Would you be happy with another shutdown if no wall but more money for border security?

Name some of those "demands" that passed.

(And Republicans never gave in to the ACA)

And that is why I give him no leeway here.

I don't see any rational argument for why Trump might have actually wanted the wall, or even part of the wall, and utterly failed to ask the GOP to help deliver on its most recent darling's promises. Not even his seeming complete ignorance of how government works explains it.

All they have to do is work out a bill between the house and senate that funds the government.

Do your job...how hard is that?

Name some of those "demands" that passed.

(And Republicans never gave in to the ACA)

He's got nothing but stupid rehash of RW mouth pieces....

I don't think McConnell will run interference for Trump if there is a next time in 17 days.

...and it's KILLING you !

Waaaahhhhhh

My Repugs are caving in to those nasty Democrats and their corrupt demands. If only they'd make demands that weren't corrupt...

But 60 Senate votes and a House majority overrides the Presidential veto.

I think "Stood up to Trump" will be a good thing for Republican politicians to have on their resume when the dust settles...

Depends on how many of Trump's MAGA hat wearing core supporters they have in their area.

Back
Top Bottom