• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans know their war on voting is racist — so they're barely bothering to defend it

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Republicans know their war on voting is racist — so they're barely bothering to defend it

cindy-hyde-smith6.jpg

3/25/21
This week, Congress finally started work in earnest on the topic of voting rights. On Monday, the House of Representatives held a hearing on the topic of making Washington, D.C. a state, granting its 700,000 residents actual representation in Congress. On Wednesday, the Senate held a hearing on the House-passed H.R. 1, called the For the People Act, which would reform democracy in a multitude of ways, including protecting the right to vote against a series of anti-voting laws in red states known collectively as the "new Jim Crow." It would be an understatement to say Republicans are panicked by both the ideas of voting protections and D.C. statehood. After Donald Trump, the GOP understands their party exists because of racism and white grievance. Rather than try to moderate those views and appeal to more voters, they instead are laser-focused on trying to prevent people of color from exercising their right to vote. That means keeping D.C. from becoming a state and enacting a series of laws in states to make it harder for people, especially people of color, to vote. Clearly, separating voters of color from the ballot is a top priority for Republicans. And yet, all week, Republican arguments against both bills were a joke, ranging from outright denials of reality to arguments so ridiculous that it was surprising they were able to keep a straight face while making them.

The arguments made by Republicans and conservative activists against D.C. statehood, for instance, were so bad that even junior high school debate kids would be embarrassed to offer them. Rep. Jody Hice, R-Ga., in tones of maximized faux outrage, complained that D.C. would be the only state "without an airport, without a car dealership." That's not true, however, it does have a car dealership. What D.C. has is people — more people than states like Vermont and Wyoming. Congressional representation, after all, is not about car dealerships or farms, but about people. And despite their goofy arguments about airports and yard signs, it's the people of D.C. — who are 46% Black — Republicans really object to letting vote. But they know that outright saying so reveals their true motives, which are deeply racist and anti-democratic. Discussing a Georgia proposal to ban Sunday voting, an obvious effort to end the "souls to the polls" Sundays practiced by many Black churches in the South, Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith, R-Miss., decided to God-splain Christian ministers. She claimed Republicans are just interested in forcing people to "remember the Sabbath and keep it holy." A quick perusal of her Twitter feed shows that she's only too happy to cheer on college basketball games held on the Sabbath.

What it all boils down to is precisely what Sen. Ted "Cancun" Cruz (R/TX) stated in a GOP party call ..... that with expanded voting Republicans will never win another election.

ballots-vs-bullets.png

Just go out that tell any black person they are too stupid to have a gov ID. Stand back a ways when you tell him that, and be prepared to run.

All the Repubs are trying to do is make it harder to fraudulently vote, and I agree with that. There is not true hardship asking everyone to have a valid legal ID to vote. And asking that the signatures match isn't too extreme.

hell, anyone that has an honest molecule in their body can see exactly what the GOP is doing. conservatives/southerners have done this type of thing throughout our history.

and a bunch did it to women too.

All the Repubs are trying to do is make it harder to fraudulently vote, and I agree with that. There is not true hardship asking everyone to have a valid legal ID to vote. And asking that the signatures match isn't too extreme.
No they are not. This is all about exclusion, and mostly of people of color who vote more dems than Repug.

Could you explain to me how the public is served by criminalizing handing a 90 year old grandmother a bottle of water while she stands in line waiting to vote?

Ram the voting rights act through.

I always have to show my ID when I vote ,due to the election workers saying my signature doesn't match. Each time I vote, I am ready to show my ID and find it reasonable request, as I know my signatures are sloppy.

Ram the voting rights act through.

I would just like to point out that Helix was one of many center/left-of-center posters who were initially hostile to eliminating the filibuster for any reason. The extremeness of Republicans’ antidemocratic behavior is forcing everybody else into the “abolish the filibuster“ camp, and conservatives are too blinded by their thirst for power to see it.

Every new voter suppression law, every new video of black lawmakers being dragged away by the police, is another nail in the coffin of the filibuster.

I would just like to point out that Helix was one of many center/left-of-center posters who were initially hostile to eliminating the filibuster for any reason. The extremeness of Republicans’ antidemocratic behavior is forcing everybody else into the “abolish the filibuster“ camp, and conservatives are too blinded by their thirst for power to see it.

Every new voter suppression law, every new video of black lawmakers being dragged away by the police, is another nail in the coffin of the filibuster.

I'm still not thrilled about it. However, Republican states are basically declaring war on the process, and it has to be stopped.

I'm still not thrilled about it. However, Republican states are basically declaring war on the process, and it has to be stopped.
Well, the fact that you were forced into this position basically assumes that you’re not thrilled about it.

I‘m not thrilled about the prospect of owning a gun, but if a gang of mad max-style marauders was on it way to my home to murder my family, I could change my mind about the whole gun-rights issue.

I would say the overwhelming majority of people hold positions dear to them that will finally break when pushed far enough.

Is that why GA is cancelling early Sunday morning voting? To prevent fraud? No, it's clear to anyone paying attention that that is a direct attack on the Souls to the Polls program that black churches often organize on early Sunday mornings.

Just go out that tell any black person they are too stupid to have a gov ID. Stand back a ways when you tell him that, and be prepared to run.
Every time I think you've made the dumbest post of the day, you go and outdo yourself.

So what is the point of closing polls early, or making it illegal to bring food and water to those waiting to vote? Hint...Do you ever see extended lines at the 'white' precincts in GA?

That is far from "All" they are doing. Very clearly the Georgia GOP could not get out enough voters last time so they are doing the only thing they can and eliminating voters from the other side, that way if they get the same amount of votes next time they can win.

All the Repubicans are trying to do is make it harder to fraudulently vote, and I agree with that. There is not true hardship asking everyone to have a valid legal ID to vote. And asking that the signatures match isn't too extreme.

Republicans know there is severe hardship for many people to vote if a state ID card is required. That is why they pass such laws. Voter fraud still happens the same way it did decades ago.

The signature matching problem occurs because a voter's signature can be totally different years after registration. But that is not the issue we are discussing.

Trump is doing his best to take the Republican Party down with him as his devoted followers remain silent.

Politico reports, "John Thune could eventually succeed Mitch McConnell as Senate GOP leader. But first the second-ranked Senate Republican has to decide whether to run for reelection — with Donald Trump prepared to stand in his way."

But his decision looms as the Senate GOP nears a serious crossroads, with five incumbents announcing their retirements and Trump waiting to engage in multiple Republican primaries as he tries to reshape the party’s Senate conference in his image. Several other senators are undecided on running again.

The Democratic Party is trying to defeat Trump's party of "NO!" on several fronts.

Politico continued, "Thune acknowledged that the state of the Senate has nosedived during his 16 years in the chamber, which began when he shocked the political world and defeated former Democratic Leader Tom Daschle in 2004. He fears that things could become only more miserable for the GOP minority if Democrats kill the filibuster."

“We’re losing a ton of talent, a ton of experience and expertise. And so, you know, you hate to see quality people leave. And if the Democrats pursue the course they’re on right now and try and do everything by pure majority rule, obviously, it won’t be a fun place to be,” he said. “It’s probably as challenging today as it’s ever been, given the political environment.”

"Trump’s vow to campaign against him doesn’t visibly ruffle Thune, a lanky former basketball player. “It’s not something I’m weighing heavily one way or the other,” the 60-year-old said. He’s laughed off Trump’s attacks on him, advising his party to avoid revolving around one person and focus on issues," Politico added.

Back
Top Bottom