• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans: help me understand your cruelty

I think we need to draw a big bold line between "Republican/Trumpist" and "actual conservative", because we've got actual conservatives here and they really didn't seem happy with Trumpism's wreckage.

I'm still hoping that the actual conservatives soak up the remainder of the Republicans who are struggling to right a sinknig ship, join with the libertarians, and end up with enough people to form a meaningful third party....but I doubt it.
I hope they somehow become the second party and djt'ism is consigned to the dustbin of US history.

I simply don’t feel compelled to take healthcare away from those who are sick, or to make it more costly for families battling terrifying, insidious illness. ..I don’t feel the need to prevent two people who love each other from marrying one another or adopting children or making medical decisions if each other’s lives hang in the balance. ...I don’t feel threatened enough by another person’s religion or lack of religion to exclude them for either reason. I don’t see an entire religion as a haven for terrorists, or something that needs to be squashed. ...I don’t feel burdened to memorialize slavery, to celebrate the subjugation of a people, to create a narrative for men and women because of the color or their skin. Why are you so emotionally allergic to the phrase Black Lives Matter? Given the racial injustice sewn into the history of this country, why do you feel the need to argue it or rewrite it? ...I don’t want to send away children who came here in desperation and now call this place home. If you love your sons and daughters enough to want them cared for and protected and fully freed to dream—why don’t you desire that for every child? If you really understand how fortunate your children are to be here, what makes you want to horde such blessing?
I know you’ll be tempted to dismiss this as a simple hit piece; a caricature of you that ascribes motives to you from a distance, but I promise you it’s not that.These aren’t talking points and they aren’t veiled insults. I just don’t get any of this on the most elemental human level. These aren’t matters of speculation and they’re not value judgments assigning motive—they’re just me looking at you and what is measurable; the candidate you voted for, the party you’re endorsing, the legislation you’re supporting, the platform you’re co-signing, the things you’re posting online.

Closing borders, building walls, banning Muslims, ridiculing sexual assault victims, harassing Transgender teenagers, exploiting the ill and the elderly: Just why are you okay with these things—and if you’re not okay with then, then why in the hell are you so silent in the face of it all? Why aren’t you standing alongside people like me and saying so? Why does it feel like I have to do all the heavy lifting without you?

Why, Republicans. Why so angry and resentful? Why so cruel?
I can help you, but, you aren't going to like it :(

If it were not for Trump's booming economy we would have fallen into a deep recession when Covid hit us hard.
The economy in 2019 was an extension of the economic growth that had already been happening for 10 years. Refresh my memory, what did djt do to create this?
1624058056474.png

I simply don’t feel compelled to take healthcare away from those who are sick, or to make it more costly for families battling terrifying, insidious illness. ..I don’t feel the need to prevent two people who love each other from marrying one another or adopting children or making medical decisions if each other’s lives hang in the balance. ...I don’t feel threatened enough by another person’s religion or lack of religion to exclude them for either reason. I don’t see an entire religion as a haven for terrorists, or something that needs to be squashed. ...I don’t feel burdened to memorialize slavery, to celebrate the subjugation of a people, to create a narrative for men and women because of the color or their skin. Why are you so emotionally allergic to the phrase Black Lives Matter? Given the racial injustice sewn into the history of this country, why do you feel the need to argue it or rewrite it? ...I don’t want to send away children who came here in desperation and now call this place home. If you love your sons and daughters enough to want them cared for and protected and fully freed to dream—why don’t you desire that for every child? If you really understand how fortunate your children are to be here, what makes you want to horde such blessing?
I know you’ll be tempted to dismiss this as a simple hit piece; a caricature of you that ascribes motives to you from a distance, but I promise you it’s not that.These aren’t talking points and they aren’t veiled insults. I just don’t get any of this on the most elemental human level. These aren’t matters of speculation and they’re not value judgments assigning motive—they’re just me looking at you and what is measurable; the candidate you voted for, the party you’re endorsing, the legislation you’re supporting, the platform you’re co-signing, the things you’re posting online.

Closing borders, building walls, banning Muslims, ridiculing sexual assault victims, harassing Transgender teenagers, exploiting the ill and the elderly: Just why are you okay with these things—and if you’re not okay with then, then why in the hell are you so silent in the face of it all? Why aren’t you standing alongside people like me and saying so? Why does it feel like I have to do all the heavy lifting without you?

Oh, god, not the tired old horseshit “Republicans want to take you healthcare away” nonsense. Republicans seek to put healthcare decisions back in the hands of the people buying it rahter than dictating what coverages they should have from a small list of choices. The only people who “lost” healthcare because of tht GOP are those that didn’t want it but were forced to purchase it because of individual mandate.

Your post is nothing but a total lie. Republicans have never wanted to take people's health care away.

Oh, god, not the tired old horseshit “Republicans want to take you healthcare away” nonsense.
Your post is nothing but a total lie. Republicans have never wanted to take people's health care away.

Spare us the outrage, you've all been exposed. We haven't forgotten the Rose Garden party Trump threw after Ryan's House voted to take tens of millions of people's health care away.

CBO and JCT estimate that, in 2018, 14 million more people would be uninsured under H.R. 1628 than under current law. The increase in the number of uninsured people relative to the number projected under current law would reach 19 million in 2020 and 23 million in 2026.
Community-rated premiums would rise over time, and people who are less healthy (including those with preexisting or newly acquired medical conditions) would ultimately be unable to purchase comprehensive nongroup health insurance at premiums comparable to those under current law, if they could purchase it at all—despite the additional funding that would be available under H.R. 1628 to help reduce premiums. As a result, the nongroup markets in those states would become unstable for people with higher-than-average expected health care costs. That instability would cause some people who would have been insured in the nongroup market under current law to be uninsured.
Over time, it would become more difficult for less healthy people (including people with preexisting medical conditions) in those states to purchase insurance because their premiums would continue to increase rapidly.
People living in states modifying the EHBs who used services or benefits no longer included in the EHBs would experience substantial increases in out-of-pocket spending on health care or would choose to forgo the services.
Although the agencies expect that the legislation would increase the number of uninsured broadly, the increase would be disproportionately larger among older people with lower income—particularly people between 50 and 64 years old with income of less than 200 percent of the federal poverty level . . . For older people with lower income, net premiums would be much larger than under current law, on average.

DAnrIzmW0AMYTQb.jpg

Healthcare should be, and actually IS, available to everyone.

Could have fooled me. Eliminate the ACA, and health care goes away for quite a few people.

Sort of shut out the rest of the world. Its a fantasy.
That's not the purpose of walls. It's called security. The rest of the world is free to enter orderly and under our rules.
The fantasy is that our welfare state can withstand open borders.

Show me these people who are banning Muslims, ridiculing sexual assault victims, harassing Transgender teenagers, exploiting the ill and the elderly.

If I saw that happening I would stand against it.

The obvious solution to the Cold War our government is currently waging against itself does not require the 2nd Amendment to fix; it already (barely still) has the voting booth. To end this war, the two infighting factions must be disbanded; we citizens can do that at the polls - summarily reject any candidate joined to a party at the hip. We need 535 unbiased legislators that can vote without remorse or threat because of party affiliation.

We as a populace are in denial, and think the country cannot function without the 2 major parties, when in fact the country is being destroyed by the 2 major parties. They are not the sole cause of our difficulties, but major contributing factors.

Oh, god, not the tired old horseshit “Republicans want to take you healthcare away” nonsense. Republicans seek to put healthcare decisions back in the hands of the people buying it rahter than dictating what coverages they should have from a small list of choices. The only people who “lost” healthcare because of tht GOP are those that didn’t want it but were forced to purchase it because of individual mandate.

It was acknowledged by both sides that healthcare was in a crisis and needed to be reformed. That, according to you, is what Republicans want to take us back to. And despite the party claiming otherwise, that their own reform plan is on the way, this is more like it:

The obvious solution to the Cold War our government is currently waging against itself does not require the 2nd Amendment to fix; it already (barely still) has the voting booth. To end this war, the two infighting factions must be disbanded; we citizens can do that at the polls - summarily reject any candidate joined to a party at the hip. We need 535 unbiased legislators that can vote without remorse or threat because of party affiliation.

We as a populace are in denial, and think the country cannot function without the 2 major parties, when in fact the country is being destroyed by the 2 major parties. They are not the sole cause of our difficulties, but major contributing factors.

For starters, we need to get rid of gerrymandering for this to happen. Democrats have introduced a bill to do that.

That's not the purpose of walls. It's called security. The rest of the world is free to enter orderly and under our rules.
The fantasy is that our welfare state can withstand open borders.

Most people who are here illegally, did not cross the border illegally.

The idea that opposing a wall as a waste of money does not mean one is for open borders.

The one objection to this litany of cruelties. Ok.

For starters, we need to get rid of gerrymandering for this to happen. Democrats have introduced a bill to do that.
Many changes need to be made, and if there were no partisan divide, pertinent and 'beneficial for all but the party's' bills would get passed on merit instead of stalling because of what one of two parties dictates. It would also reduce the pork by attrition.

Most people who are here illegally, did not cross the border illegally.

The idea that opposing a wall as a waste of money does not mean one is for open borders.
And the idea that supporting a wall for good security isn't hate or racism or soon the other bogus claims.

Health care is a complicated issue, and one that holds hostage a significant portion of the US economy. I won't profess to know what's best here, so I will yield this portion of your argument...as long as you retract your supposition that republicans don't want people to have access to quality health care.

I have no issue with 2 people getting married. However, a church, or other religious entity, should not be legally compelled to honor their choice.

On religion...I view zealots as being threats to others, potentially. I hold that view for ALL religions.

I don't think the desire to not destroy statues came from a desire to memorialize or sensationalise slavery. It's history. Tell me, should Britain wipe out their monuments? Statues, busts, etc? Last I checked, they did a lot of bad stuff. Just ask India, Ireland, Scotland, etc.

As for BLM, view what has been, and is currently happening. Riots, mass destruction of private property, then defund the police, and now canonization of any black/not white person killed by police. While I agree with BLM that the status quo is unnaceptable, they, as an organ ization, need to establish a more clear message, and funnel that through the overly sympathetic news media. Not every person shot by the cops is innocent. And yet the media treats them as such, if they are not white, and the office that shot them are vilified first, facts be damned. Is that tennable?

And last...immigration. Well, I'll make this one REAL simple for you. Show me one modern country...ONE...that allows anyone and everyone who can make it to their border, in, to stay, to live indefinately. The bottom line is this...you can't have socialization of risk, be it social safety nets, or health insurance, AND have open boarders.

Youvoted twice for Barrack Obama...a man that until forced to change his views because of political pressure stood AGAINST gay marriage. You supported Hilary Clinton...a woman who also stood against gay marriage. You voted twice for Bill Clinton...a man who also opposed gay marriage.

Does that expose your lies and hypocrisy enough or shall we go on? Say the word, because you truly shit the bed this time.
So now we are supposed to demonize all that opposed gay marriage in the past? What about those that still oppose it? Do they get a pass? Changing with the times and with public opinion is how democracies are supposed to work. It is called Govt. of the people and by the people. That must be why the right opposes it now.

And the idea that supporting a wall for good security isn't hate or racism or soon the other bogus claims.
It is a ancient concept that did not work then and works even less now. It is a huge waste of money that could be put to good use. Most undocumented immigrants fly here.

Back
Top Bottom