• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans: help me understand your cruelty

j brown's body

"A Soros-backed animal"
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I simply don’t feel compelled to take healthcare away from those who are sick, or to make it more costly for families battling terrifying, insidious illness. ..I don’t feel the need to prevent two people who love each other from marrying one another or adopting children or making medical decisions if each other’s lives hang in the balance. ...I don’t feel threatened enough by another person’s religion or lack of religion to exclude them for either reason. I don’t see an entire religion as a haven for terrorists, or something that needs to be squashed. ...I don’t feel burdened to memorialize slavery, to celebrate the subjugation of a people, to create a narrative for men and women because of the color or their skin. Why are you so emotionally allergic to the phrase Black Lives Matter? Given the racial injustice sewn into the history of this country, why do you feel the need to argue it or rewrite it? ...I don’t want to send away children who came here in desperation and now call this place home. If you love your sons and daughters enough to want them cared for and protected and fully freed to dream—why don’t you desire that for every child? If you really understand how fortunate your children are to be here, what makes you want to horde such blessing?
I know you’ll be tempted to dismiss this as a simple hit piece; a caricature of you that ascribes motives to you from a distance, but I promise you it’s not that.These aren’t talking points and they aren’t veiled insults. I just don’t get any of this on the most elemental human level. These aren’t matters of speculation and they’re not value judgments assigning motive—they’re just me looking at you and what is measurable; the candidate you voted for, the party you’re endorsing, the legislation you’re supporting, the platform you’re co-signing, the things you’re posting online.

Closing borders, building walls, banning Muslims, ridiculing sexual assault victims, harassing Transgender teenagers, exploiting the ill and the elderly: Just why are you okay with these things—and if you’re not okay with then, then why in the hell are you so silent in the face of it all? Why aren’t you standing alongside people like me and saying so? Why does it feel like I have to do all the heavy lifting without you?

Why, Republicans. Why so angry and resentful? Why so cruel?

I think we need to draw a big bold line between "Republican/Trumpist" and "actual conservative", because we've got actual conservatives here and they really didn't seem happy with Trumpism's wreckage.

I'm still hoping that the actual conservatives soak up the remainder of the Republicans who are struggling to right a sinknig ship, join with the libertarians, and end up with enough people to form a meaningful third party....but I doubt it.

I simply don’t feel compelled to take healthcare away from those who are sick, or to make it more costly for families battling terrifying, insidious illness. ..I don’t feel the need to prevent two people who love each other from marrying one another or adopting children or making medical decisions if each other’s lives hang in the balance. ...I don’t feel threatened enough by another person’s religion or lack of religion to exclude them for either reason. I don’t see an entire religion as a haven for terrorists, or something that needs to be squashed. ...I don’t feel burdened to memorialize slavery, to celebrate the subjugation of a people, to create a narrative for men and women because of the color or their skin. Why are you so emotionally allergic to the phrase Black Lives Matter? Given the racial injustice sewn into the history of this country, why do you feel the need to argue it or rewrite it? ...I don’t want to send away children who came here in desperation and now call this place home. If you love your sons and daughters enough to want them cared for and protected and fully freed to dream—why don’t you desire that for every child? If you really understand how fortunate your children are to be here, what makes you want to horde such blessing?
I know you’ll be tempted to dismiss this as a simple hit piece; a caricature of you that ascribes motives to you from a distance, but I promise you it’s not that.These aren’t talking points and they aren’t veiled insults. I just don’t get any of this on the most elemental human level. These aren’t matters of speculation and they’re not value judgments assigning motive—they’re just me looking at you and what is measurable; the candidate you voted for, the party you’re endorsing, the legislation you’re supporting, the platform you’re co-signing, the things you’re posting online.

Closing borders, building walls, banning Muslims, ridiculing sexual assault victims, harassing Transgender teenagers, exploiting the ill and the elderly: Just why are you okay with these things—and if you’re not okay with then, then why in the hell are you so silent in the face of it all? Why aren’t you standing alongside people like me and saying so? Why does it feel like I have to do all the heavy lifting without you?

I think the short answer is that these Republicans of today ARE the same people as those who committed all the vilest historical atrocities in the USA, starting with the big double whammy of Indigenous genocide and African slavery. Today's Republicans ignore those crimes, excuse them, are hostile to the descendants of the victims, exhibit very often the same intense levels of bigoted hatred which was manifest in the past.

It's a cultural thing. Institutional racism, KKK terrorism to enforce it, manifest destiny (meaning kill anyone who's in your way), rugged individualism (license to kill), and so on.

The long answer involves the origin of this sociocultural pattern in Yamnaya, and its spread to infest and oppress the world. In fact this mess is a very ancient cultural tradition, long predating the USA.

I think we need to draw a big bold line between "Republican/Trumpist" and "actual conservative", because we've got actual conservatives here and they really didn't seem happy with Trumpism's wreckage.

I'm still hoping that the actual conservatives soak up the remainder of the Republicans who are struggling to right a sinknig ship, join with the libertarians, and end up with enough people to form a meaningful third party....but I doubt it.
Not a 3rd Party... they have to become the "other" Party vs. the Democrats. The Trumpoid GOP is fatally flawed, dead in the water, it is now malignant. It is treasonous.

You are correct in saying this country functions with sane opposition, and we need sane "loyal opposition", not guerrilla politics.

You know that gigantic broad brush you used to paint the above canvas? I hope you're not planning to sell this piece of work.

They are the 'heart of darkness.'

Not giving my money away isn't "taking away" something from someone else.

Not giving my money away isn't "taking away" something from someone else.
What's wrong with holding walls? Even dems build walls. I think it's an extremist view today border walls should not exist.

The dilemma for republicans IMHO, is that they find themselves losing in public opinion on economic issues such as the minimum wage, so they focus on social issues that appeal to some of their number. They still pursue some form of the so-called Nixon Southern Strategy, seeking to ride resentment of minorities, women and immigrants. The problem with democrats is that they linger too long on social issues and don't play to their strength, economic issues. Their concerns about the environment should be expressed as working class concerns, not have the aura of tree-hugging upper middle class folks like me.

When Jesse Jackson spoke some years ago of the natural alliance that should exist between working class whites and blacks, few followed his lead. I remember a fire in a factory some years ago, perhaps in the rural south, caused in part by the employer ignoring safety issues. The only democrat to show up to speak was Jackson. Democrats give the impression to working class whites that they care more about who can use which bathroom in the factory, not about the toxic chemicals that might be used there. When Trump early on eliminated the requirement that deaths and injuries be considered in granting government contracts, when he permitted use of a pesticide that causes birth defects, one withdrawn under Obama for review, democrats should have been screaming. Nada from them, if my memory serves.

Biden offers more than this as did Obama. But the rhetoric of many of their allies does not.

You know that gigantic broad brush you used to paint the above canvas? I hope you're not planning to sell this piece of work.

It is very specific.

When you look at a thing only with the evil eye, all you see is evil.

Then the damn so called republicans or conservatives or whatever you want to call them need to speak out loudly against the trump supporters and I for one don't see it happening so in my eyes that makes them enablers.

What's wrong with holding walls? Even dems build walls. I think it's an extremist view today border walls should not exist.

Sort of shut out the rest of the world. Its a fantasy.

Cruelty is the point of their cruelty. Folks don't do these kinds of things for no reason and I can think of no good reason to try to have millions lose their healthcare other than pure cruelty and hatred for the dreaded guy from kenya.

Then the damn so called republicans or conservatives or whatever you want to call them need to speak out loudly against the trump supporters and I for one don't see it happening so in my eyes that makes them enablers.

Why should they?

How many in your party still support trump? I think that says it all.

Youvoted twice for Barrack Obama...a man that until forced to change his views because of political pressure stood AGAINST gay marriage. You supported Hilary Clinton...a woman who also stood against gay marriage. You voted twice for Bill Clinton...a man who also opposed gay marriage.

Does that expose your lies and hypocrisy enough or shall we go on? Say the word, because you truly shit the bed this time.

There is a border, because without one, we are no longer a country. Charity is fine and noble, but there are bad actors ready and able to steal your good intentions. There is law and order, because without it, there is chaos.
Sometimes the world is a hard place. You won't ever change that fact.
And finally, there is a thing called common sense, and a Bible verse. "Cast not thy pearls to the swine".

And I have no problem with gay marriage or trans people. Just don't expect me to pay for the surgery.

No one requires your permission to be seen as human.

If you truly want to understand Republicans, consider their best possible motives. Listen to their best speakers. Engage their best arguments.

I do. As it is said, the cruelty's the point. No humanity to show, or simply not worth the trouble.

At the end of the day, the progressive, the author of the O/P's opinion piece, who painted Republicans as a bunch of evil, stingy, uncharitable degenerates, is just another progressive slobber slinging anti-Trumper. What makes it worse is the author of the opinion piece is a Christian pastor. 🤪

Youvoted twice for Barrack Obama...a man that until forced to change his views because of political pressure stood AGAINST gay marriage. You supported Hilary Clinton...a woman who also stood against gay marriage. You voted twice for Bill Clinton...a man who also opposed gay marriage.

Does that expose your lies and hypocrisy enough or shall we go on? Say the word, because you truly shit the bed this time.

So the cruelty's okay because everybody does it. Thats a rationalization.

At the end of the day, the progressive, the author of the O/P's opinion piece, who painted Republicans as a bunch of evil, stingy, uncharitable degenerates, is just another progressive slobber slinging anti-Trumper. What makes it worse is the author of the opinion piece is a Christian pastor. 🤪

No one is saying he's wrong.

There is a border, because without one, we are no longer a country. Charity is fine and noble, but there are bad actors ready and able to steal your good intentions. There is law and order, because without it, there is chaos.
Sometimes the world is a hard place. You won't ever change that fact.
And finally, there is a thing called common sense, and a Bible verse. "Cast not thy pearls to the swine".

I see a lot of fear here. Fear feeds the cruelty.

Back
Top Bottom