• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans Have No Idea What the Shutdown Means for Americans Who Are Not Rich

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Republicans Have No Idea What the Shutdown Means for Americans Who Are Not Rich

hXLcv4zC_400x400.jpg

1/14/19
Donald Trump earned yet another presidential superlative last week when his border-wall shutdown entered its 22nd day, thereby becoming the longest funding lapse in U.S. history. For the first time since the shutdown began, an estimated 800,000 federal employees did not receive their regular paychecks, and Trump's vow to keep the government closed for "months or even years" unless Democrats agree to make taxpayers pay for his wall does not bode well for those employees' odds of receiving their next paychecks in a timely manner, either. Mortgages and student-loan payments and utility bills are not tolled by dysfunction in Washington. The president, however, addressed the plight of these middle-class civil servants by confidently predicting that they will "make adjustments." He did not elaborate. Trump is not the only Republican politician whose comments betray a cheerful disinterest in what life might be like in America for anyone who is not rich. House Freedom Caucus chair Mark Meadows assured The Washington Post that random, periodic interruptions in compensation are simply one of the less pleasant parts of accepting federal employment. Meadows courageously volunteered to forgo his congressional salary for as long as this thing persists, but it might not matter much to him anyway. As of 2015, his net worth was estimated to be as high as $6.9 million. Before the shutdown began, Pennsylvania congressman Scott Perry pooh-poohed the notion that it could have any measurable impact on government workers, who on average make about one-third less than their equally qualified counterparts in the private sector. "Who's living that they're not going to make it to the next paycheck?" he asked.

Lindsey Graham, who spent years cultivating a reputation as a moderate Republican until he figured out that performing extremism would lead to better cable-news bookings and more prestigious committee appointments, acknowledged that a shutdown might be "inconvenient" for federal personnel "caught up in this mess," which is quite the euphemism for a crisis precipitated entirely by the president's obsession with the most recent thing Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh said into a microphone. There is a very good reason that Americans pin blame for the shutdown on Trump by an overwhelming 55-32 margin: For Democrats, the most important task is getting the government open and its employees working again. For Republicans, however, the most important task is delivering to Trump what he wants. One party has focused its messaging on the real-life impact of the shutdown; the other has focused its messaging on funding a construction project to which 56 percent of Americans are opposed. When federal employees are driving for ride-share companies because Republicans have taken their paychecks hostage, blame becomes a pretty easy thing to assign. The GOP might not be prone to such fundamental miscalculations, of course, if it were at all aware of what political conflicts mean for anyone who is not a big-money Republican donor. But it is an out-of-touch party whose sole purpose is to protect the interests of millionaires and billionaires, and it has spent the past two years pushing an agenda designed to allow rich people to stay that way. It isn't that Republicans don't care about middle-class Americans, necessarily—it's that Republicans aren't even aware that middle-class Americans exist.

The Trump shutdown is disastrous for the GOP. Unfortunately for the GOP, Mitch McConnell has chosen to protect Trumps backside instead of being a champion for his constituents

And the dems are so worried about it they partied for several days at a posh resort in Puerto Rico while Trump cancelled his plans and remained in DC ready to deal.

Yep. all alone in the White House- his future is in the Big House.
Note no family discounts

Rephrase that question: it should really be “what does putin have on the Republican Party?”

Putin doesn't have to have anything on the republicans. They got their tax breaks for their rich donors, and Trump is destroying the federal government from the inside. GOPs dream

I think MConnell is worried about being primaried honestly. Remember when he was excoriated in 2016? And he has one of the lowest approval ratings in the Senate.

He's gotta back Trump. His political future may depend on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rephrase that question: it should really be “what does putin have on the Republican Party?”

Good point. It's not about the nation anymore. GOP = Good Old Putin. It amazes me that Congress and more than a few conservatives willingly take a knee for the Kremlin.

Good point. It's not about the nation anymore. GOP = Good Old Putin. It amazes me that Congress and more than a few conservatives willingly take a knee for the Kremlin.

Maybe the Russian government has kompromat on Republican Party officials.

Perhaps the Republican Party is awash in Russian money financing them.

Or more simply this is the end result of Republicans caring only about holding on to power

You reach a point when the idiocy of the shutdown is so bizarre that you have to ask yourself, what does Putin have on McConnell?

Theres 'idiocy' here alright. And you just introduced it. Maybe you should take your Collusion Trutherism to the CT forum.

Maybe the Russian government has kompromat on Republican Party officials.

Perhaps the Republican Party is awash in Russian money financing them.

Or more simply this is the end result of Republicans caring only about holding on to power

I have thought similar things........there are too many moving parts for there to be only one “individual 1.”

Rephrase once more: What does Putin have on everyone right of center in the United States? According to Think Progress, every conservative, right-wing or right-leaning organization, group and person in America is a Russian owned operation after all.

I do not believe the things I believe or vote for Republicans because I think it is in mine, my community's or my nation's interests. I vote Republican because I've been promised some of that sweet, sweet Russian cheddar. My check should hopefully be arriving in the mail any day now. :roll:

Obviously something. When Trump stood with Putin against the entire American Intelligence community in Helsinki, that was a very telling imo.

Back
Top Bottom