• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans do it again, this time in Wisconsin

Kobie

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/...cle_97fcae5b-ce51-5bef-8871-dd0d6fa9c327.html

An outgoing Republican majority in Wisconsin puts up a bunch of bills to defang the new Democratic administration before it takes office.

Republican legislators, in an extraordinary push before their party surrenders full control of state government, want to restrict the incoming Democratic attorney general’s and governor’s powers and the state’s timeline for early voting in a lame-duck session early next week.

More than 40 proposed changes in state law on a variety of subjects were unveiled Friday at about 4:30 p.m. in five bills up for a public hearing in the Legislature’s budget-writing committee Monday. The Assembly and Senate could vote on the measures Tuesday.

One bill would fundamentally change the role of the state attorney general, giving lawmakers broad new powers to constrain the state’s top law-enforcement official.

It may bar Gov.-elect Tony Evers from taking what he said would be one of his first actions in office: ordering Attorney General-elect Josh Kaul to withdraw Wisconsin from a multi-state legal challenge to the Affordable Care Act, according to Madison lawyer Lester Pines, a Democrat.

The bill would allow lawmakers to appoint special counsel to effectively replace the attorney general on specific litigation if a legislative panel determines it would ensure “the interests of the state will be best represented.”

Another key bill would bar early voting from starting earlier than two weeks before an election — despite a federal judge’s ruling two years ago that struck down similar restrictions as racially discriminatory.

Go ahead, Republicans. Defend this.

Z8fMmj9m.jpg

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/...cle_97fcae5b-ce51-5bef-8871-dd0d6fa9c327.html

An outgoing Republican majority in Wisconsin puts up a bunch of bills to defang the new Democratic administration before it takes office.

I hope the Democrats are taking notes. No more taking the high road when they go low. It doesn't work. Play dirty like they are doing. Not too dirty though. We need the republicans to keep something for themselves.

Kinda widens the term "lame duck"

Earlier, I was reading thoughts from folks of all leans who were expressing very sincere condolences and respect after the passing of your former President, George H.W. Bush. Something struck with me. It was part of a handwritten note he had written to Clinton just before his inauguration. He said, in part;

Your success is now our country’s success. I am rooting for you.”

I have no doubt he meant every word he said.

It's a shame that more people don't follow in is footsteps.

Earlier, I was reading thoughts from folks of all leans who were expressing very sincere condolences and respect after the passing of your former President, George H.W. Bush. Something struck with me. It was part of a handwritten note he had written to Clinton just before his inauguration. He said, in part;

I know I'm dragging a bit off-topic, but those letters to the successor are a time-honored tradition. I didn't know any had been shared. Is there a link for this?

I know I'm dragging a bit off-topic, but those letters to the successor are a time-honored tradition. I didn't know any had been shared. Is there a link for this?

The Bush to Clinton letter is legit. I can imagine Obama's to Trump was a picture of his dick and then Trump's hair. At least, I hope it was.

The Bush to Clinton letter is legit. I can imagine Obama's to Trump was a picture of his dick and then Trump's hair. At least, I hope it was.

It's not doubt. I just didn't see it in a quick google and wanted to read it.

And frankly, I give Obama more points for class than that. What Trump will leave in two years ... well, not so sure about that.

It's not doubt. I just didn't see it in a quick google and wanted to read it.

And frankly, I give Obama more points for class than that. What Trump will leave in two years ... well, not so sure about that.

if Trump is president in 2020, and loses re-election, he likely will NOT leave his Democratic successor any type of note. He'll just scream voter fraud, and spend the rest of his years complaining about supposed illegals voting, rigged elections, "the deep state", etc. He will never EVER accept defeat graciously.

Hate sounding like a broken record here but apparently some people need a refresher course on history.

Passing as many bills as possible by an outgoing party is nothing new. Lame-duck session

Dems do it. Repubs do it. This is nothing new as each party attempts to preserve what they have done so that the next party will not be able to simply revoke it all and put their own agenda that's counter to it in place.

And no. This is not an attempt to defend. It's simply statements of fact that point out that this is nothing new. It's literally a part of the process that we have in our government. There is no way to stop it from happening.

Now: As for what is quoted...

I don't think that it is in The Peoples best interests for any government to withdraw a legal challenge to something just because you support the law and don't want it challenged in court because there might be a possibility of it being shot down. It should be mandatory to finish going through the court system to determine the legitimacy of what is being challenged. If something is unconstitutional then it should be struck down. Not preserved based on party ideology. If it is Constitutional then you should not be worrying about it and let it proceed to PROVE that it is Constitutional. IMO both parties take advantage of the fact that our courts are overburdened and essentially have to triage court cases. And that is wrong. Of course I'm also of the opinion, which I have stated before, that our legislatures should be proving that the laws they want to pass are Constitutional before they attempt to pass the laws. But we don't demand that of our Representatives and as such they often pass laws simply because the know the likelyhood of them ever actually getting to the highest court in the land is extremely low.

Note: This also was not a defense of what the Republicans are doing. It's a defense of our Constitution and our Rights and I want it applied regardless of party in power.

As for limiting the voting to two weeks...quite frankly voting day should be made a holiday and require ALL businesses to close for that day. In addition ALL schools, should be a place in which you can vote. Additionally any public fair grounds should have voting booths set up so people can vote there. Since every town has schools this would guarantee a local location to get to in order to vote. Voting times begin at 12:00AM and will last until 11:59PM. With all of this in effect the only ones that should be allowed to vote early are those that are elderly (linked to the age which you can get SS), or disabled, or for those that are going to provably be out of town. I would also include in that types of businesses that could not safely close, such as emergency services. For example if you run an EMT business you would be allowed to stay open, but the employees would be allowed to vote early. Again, this would apply to any business that cannot safely close. Due to all of this there should be no reason that a two week early voting limit would be harmful to anyone.

Hate sounding like a broken record here but apparently some people need a refresher course on history.

Passing as many bills as possible by an outgoing party is nothing new. Lame-duck session

Dems do it. Repubs do it. This is nothing new as each party attempts to preserve what they have done so that the next party will not be able to simply revoke it all and put their own agenda that's counter to it in place.

And no. This is not an attempt to defend. It's simply statements of fact that point out that this is nothing new. It's literally a part of the process that we have in our government. There is no way to stop it from happening.

Now: As for what is quoted...

I don't think that it is in The Peoples best interests for any government to withdraw a legal challenge to something just because you support the law and don't want it challenged in court because there might be a possibility of it being shot down. It should be mandatory to finish going through the court system to determine the legitimacy of what is being challenged. If something is unconstitutional then it should be struck down. Not preserved based on party ideology. If it is Constitutional then you should not be worrying about it and let it proceed to PROVE that it is Constitutional. IMO both parties take advantage of the fact that our courts are overburdened and essentially have to triage court cases. And that is wrong. Of course I'm also of the opinion, which I have stated before, that our legislatures should be proving that the laws they want to pass are Constitutional before they attempt to pass the laws. But we don't demand that of our Representatives and as such they often pass laws simply because the know the likelyhood of them ever actually getting to the highest court in the land is extremely low.

Note: This also was not a defense of what the Republicans are doing. It's a defense of our Constitution and our Rights and I want it applied regardless of party in power.

As for limiting the voting to two weeks...quite frankly voting day should be made a holiday and require ALL businesses to close for that day. In addition ALL schools, should be a place in which you can vote. Additionally any public fair grounds should have voting booths set up so people can vote there. Since every town has schools this would guarantee a local location to get to in order to vote. Voting times begin at 12:00AM and will last until 11:59PM. With all of this in effect the only ones that should be allowed to vote early are those that are elderly (linked to the age which you can get SS), or disabled, or for those that are going to provably be out of town. I would also include in that types of businesses that could not safely close, such as emergency services. For example if you run an EMT business you would be allowed to stay open, but the employees would be allowed to vote early. Again, this would apply to any business that cannot safely close. Due to all of this there should be no reason that a two week early voting limit would be harmful to anyone.

Try as hard as you like, but this OP's hatred for conservatives will not allow him to see what you are trying to explain here.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Bush senior, but not for reasons of class, intellect, and integrity. I lament we now have a president that has not one of these characteristics.

Back
Top Bottom