• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Republicans Consider ‘Conscientious Objector’ Rule for Convention Delegates

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]Republicans Consider ‘Conscientious Objector’ Rule for Convention Delegates[/h]

Members of the GOP Convention Rules committee are planning to consider an amendment to allow delegates a way out of voting for Trump on the first ballot—an effort that in an extreme could be used to deny him the nomination.
Under the proposal, delegates could be granted conscientious objector status, thereby freeing them from their pledge to vote as they are bound as the result of primaries and caucuses. The measure, first put forward by Colorado delegate Kendal Unruh, would undo the strict ‘faithless-delegate’ rule enacted at the GOP convention in 2012 and allow a “vote of conscience, whether personal or religious” by delegates.
“Allowable personal reasons shall include the public disclosure of one or more grievous acts of personal conduct by a nominee candidate, including but not limited to, criminally actionable acts, acts of moral turpitude or extreme prejudice, and/or notorious public statements of support for positions that clearly oppose or contradict the policies embodied in the Republican Party’s platform as established at the national convention,” the amendment says.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Could there be a chance for the Republican Party still? Maybe there will be more than a choice between Trump and Clinton?

or is that too much to hope for?

Last edited:

MorrisDay

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
[h=1]Republicans Consider ‘Conscientious Objector’ Rule for Convention Delegates[/h]

[FONT="][h=1]Republicans Consider ‘Conscientious Objector’ Rule for Convention Delegates[/h]

[URL="https://time.com/"]
09bccbd0-c46f-11e5-851b-2f7c2e153f2a_d2f592afeb9263b1727d436e299e2bda.png.cf.jpg
[/URL]

June 18, 2016

[/FONT]

[FONT="][IMG]https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/1jq5ai4mPfJKTkgOv59ALA--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9ODAw/http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/homerun/time_72/45849dbc7f5994ab758879241579cc06[/IMG][COLOR=#FFFFFF]View photos[/COLOR]
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]

It could be used to deny Trump the nomination
More
[COLOR=#26282A]Members of the GOP Convention Rules committee are planning to consider an amendment to allow delegates a way out of voting for Trump on the first ballot—an effort that in an extreme could be used to deny him the nomination.
Under the proposal, delegates could be granted conscientious objector status, thereby freeing them from their pledge to vote as they are bound as the result of primaries and caucuses. The measure, first put forward by Colorado delegate Kendal Unruh, would undo the strict ‘faithless-delegate’ rule enacted at the GOP convention in 2012 and allow a “vote of conscience, whether personal or religious” by delegates.
“Allowable personal reasons shall include the public disclosure of one or more grievous acts of personal conduct by a nominee candidate, including but not limited to, criminally actionable acts, acts of moral turpitude or extreme prejudice, and/or notorious public statements of support for positions that clearly oppose or contradict the policies embodied in the Republican Party’s platform as established at the national convention,” the amendment says.
[/COLOR]

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT="][h=1]Republicans Consider ‘Conscientious Objector’ Rule for Convention Delegates[/h]

June 18, 2016

[/FONT]

[FONT="]
45849dbc7f5994ab758879241579cc06
View photos

More

Could there be a chance for the Republican Party still? Maybe there will be more than a choice between Trump and Clinton?

I said "anybody but Obama" twice and it didn't work. Now I am saying anybody but Hillary.

VanceMack

MSG Benavidez TAB
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Republicans are screwed. If they dont nominate and full on support Trump, those that did rush to the p0olls for and because of him will not vote.

A better GOP solution remains...nominate Trump, vote Johnson/Weld. That BTW is also a superior choice to voting for Hillary. But at the end of the day, mindless partisans will blindly vote party first.

Fletch

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Republicans are screwed. If they dont nominate and full on support Trump, those that did rush to the p0olls for and because of him will not vote.

A better GOP solution remains...nominate Trump, vote Johnson/Weld. That BTW is also a superior choice to voting for Hillary. But at the end of the day, mindless partisans will blindly vote party first.
Absolutely. All those republicans out there wringing their hands DO have an alternative to Trump or Clinton. It is Johnson/Weld. I just wish some party leaders would start pushing that option. Romney would be a good start. He has been banging the anti-Trump drum for months. He should throw his support and his efforts and contacts behind Johnson and get others to follow his lead.

AlbqOwl

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

I would vote Johnson/Weld before I would vote for Hillary. I would vote for Mickey Mouse before I would vote for Hillary. But as much as I wish Trump wasn't so Trump, I prefer him to Hillary, Mickey Mouse, or Johnson/Weld.

The GOP is in this mess because they thumbed their noses at those of us who put them in office. I am pretty sure if they thumb their noses at the people's choice of candidate--somebody who they chose over the other 16 who ran--they will lose the support of their base forever.

Moot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

I hope it works....for the sake of all that is decent and good in this world....let the republican's good conscience shine through.

Until the convention Trump is still just a presumed nominee with a very hollow victory in the primaries. The party would do well to dump Trump and forget about the Trump supporters, because the GOP has plenty of support without them. If Trump wants to go Independent...let him...which is good for the GOP, too because it will help to weed out the Loonies from the party. Once they're gone then maybe the GOP can get back to discussing the issues and policy concerns....it's been long time since they did that.

Last edited:

AlbqOwl

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I hope it works....for the sake of all that is decent and good in this world....let the republican's good conscience shine through.

Until the convention Trump is still just a presumed nominee with a very hollow victory in the primaries. The party would do well to dump Trump and forget about the Trump supporters, because the GOP has plenty of support without them. If Trump wants to go Independent...let him...which is good for the GOP, too because it will help to weed out the Loonies from the party. Once they're gone then maybe the GOP can get back to discussing the issues and policy concerns....it's been long time since they did that.

If the GOP has plenty of support without Trump, why is Trump the nominee? By a very wide margin in MOST of the primary elections? The GOP base had the choice of Trump or one of 16 other attractive candidates to choose from. The base chose Trump.

What gives the party elite the right to say that the people cannot have who they voted for?

LaylaWindu

One with the Force
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
While I'm not a Trump fan and I wish he wasn't the nominee this is sad and would just make things worse for the GOP. Just like Conscientious Objections in the areas like discrimination this is nothing more than a tool to break laws, rules, infringe on rights and or deny people a voice. It's all the same crap. it hurts the system 100 times more than it would ever help.

Beaudreaux

Preserve Protect Defend
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It's my understanding that the GOP has legally binding agreements with the states regarding how their state delegates can and cannot vote. Some are pretty loose and may allow such an act, while some are pretty tight and would prevent such actions and probably give Trump legal grounds for a civil suit, at least to get a court order to enforce the agreements and require the delegates to vote on the convention floor in a way that reflects the votes cast during the primary election.

But who knows. It's already a cluster, so what's a few more distractions along the way.

LaylaWindu

One with the Force
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

There's no decency in it though. While I agree I don't want Trump for the nominee doing this isn't decent its sad. Not to mention if they do this, then what? Who do they pick? Cruz? Even worse.

Beaudreaux

Preserve Protect Defend
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
If the GOP has plenty of support without Trump, why is Trump the nominee? By a very wide margin in MOST of the primary elections? The GOP base had the choice of Trump or one of 16 other attractive candidates to choose from. The base chose Trump.

What gives the party elite the right to say that the people cannot have who they voted for?

It's a private organization that can do whatever they wish to do - that doesn't mean that Trump couldn't sue them over whatever they do, or that the GOP voters that voted for Trump (I'm not one BTW) wouldn't leave the party en masse and never look back.

Moot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Trump became the nominee by default. He didn't have a popular majority vote in the primaries...2/3 of Republicans voted for other candidates. Nationally, Trump has a 70% disapproval rating....so with only a fraction of their party supporting Trump...the GOP really doesn't need him ...they need a better candidate and fast. My hope is that Jon Huntsman steps forward...because he is the only one that could beat Hillary...imho. And...I think he would be a good president.

Last edited:

VanceMack

MSG Benavidez TAB
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Trump became the nominee by default. He didn't have a popular majority vote in the primaries...2/3 of Republicans voted for other candidates. Nationally, Trump has a 70% disapproval rating....so with only a fraction of their party supporting Trump...the GOP really doesn't need him ...they need a better candidate and fast. My hope is that Jon Huntsman steps forward...because he is the only one that could beat Hillary...imho. And...I think he would be a good president.

Trump won more GOO votes than Romney by a lot. He won more votes in the GOP nomination campaign than any other candidate in history. Those are just facts.
Trump passes Romney’s popular vote total, likely to break GOP record - POLITICO

The GOP is stuck with him as the nominee. If people in this country have any integrity left they will abandon both Trump and Hillary and vote Johnson/Weld.

upsideguy

Pragmatic Idealist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Trump won more GOO votes than Romney by a lot. He won more votes in the GOP nomination campaign than any other candidate in history. Those are just facts.
Trump passes Romney’s popular vote total, likely to break GOP record - POLITICO

The GOP is stuck with him as the nominee. If people in this country have any integrity left they will abandon both Trump and Hillary and vote Johnson/Weld.
''

Kind of like a small plane in a thunderstorm, their best chance is to fly straight ahead....

dimensionallava

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
Can't the chairman of the party just pick whoever he wants?

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Don't they always?

VanceMack

MSG Benavidez TAB
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Don't they always?

They do which has brought us to where we are. And for all the pants wetting people have over Trump he isn't responsible for the dysfunction both parties have wrought.

This is an opportune year to vote 3rd party. Johnson and Weld are proven commodities. They are both fiscal conservatives, both socially liberal, and both committed to individual liberties. What a perfect scenario to have a Libertarian presidency and a balanced house and senate. People SHOULD vote Johnson/Weld and then vote for their house and senate members how they see fit. johnson and Weld both won their state elections with STRONG bipartisan support. If people are looking for an 'anyone but....' candidate....there ya go.

AlbqOwl

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Nobody is going to get 50% of the vote in a field of 17, but Trump's vote was impressive even then. And he has netted more Republican votes/support than ANY other candidate ever. He has five months to win the hearts and minds of America and erase those negatives.

Huntsman who I am going to guess that no more than 20% of voters, if that, could name from a photo and have no clue about who he is? Huntsman who quit after finishing a distant third in the New Hampshire primary in 2012? I admit he is imminently qualified, but what makes you think he would have the appeal, charisma, or generate excitement at a level that would inspire people to vote for him now?

AlbqOwl

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
It's a private organization that can do whatever they wish to do - that doesn't mean that Trump couldn't sue them over whatever they do, or that the GOP voters that voted for Trump (I'm not one BTW) wouldn't leave the party en masse and never look back.

Yes they can change their own rules to accomplish whatever they want to accomplish. I suppose I should have phrased my question to be: by what moral authority does the GOP elite presume to be wiser than the people who put them where they are and who have chosen their candidate?

Moot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Huntsman who I am going to guess that no more than 20% of voters, if that, could name from a photo and have no clue about who he is? Huntsman who quit after finishing a distant third in the New Hampshire primary in 2012? I admit he is imminently qualified, but what makes you think he would have the appeal, charisma, or generate excitement at a level that would inspire people to vote for him now?
Huntsman doesn't have a lot of political baggage, he's scandal free, he has experience in governing and foreign relations, and he has squeaky clean family values. He's a moderate on civil rights but conservative on abortion and gun rights. He's not a political hack or extremist or a racist. He's still young, intelligent, vibrant, well educated, thoughtful and handsome. I think he'd bring some class to the GOP that is sorely missing and wouldn't embarrass or destroy the party...or the country like Trump promises to do. Basically Huntsman is everything that Trump is not. He's a decent human being.

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Yes they can change their own rules to accomplish whatever they want to accomplish. I suppose I should have phrased my question to be: by what moral authority does the GOP elite presume to be wiser than the people who put them where they are and who have chosen their candidate?

Moral authority?
What does moral authority have to do with politics?
Politics is about winning. The Republicans can't (I sincerely hope anyway) win with Trump. I doubt they'll win if they dump trump either, which puts the party between a rock and a hard place.

So, unless a significant number of voters climb out of the partisan box and vote for Johnson, it looks like Hillary Clinton will become the first female president.

PirateMk1

Resident Martian ;)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private

Until there is a credible poll that shows Johnson has a real chance at beating BOTH Trump and Clinton, I don't see the Johnson ticket as a credible alternative to Trump. If that changes then I will reconsider, until then Trump is whom I will vote against Clinton with.

VanceMack

MSG Benavidez TAB
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Until there is a credible poll that shows Johnson has a real chance at beating BOTH Trump and Clinton, I don't see the Johnson ticket as a credible alternative to Trump. If that changes then I will reconsider, until then Trump is whom I will vote against Clinton with.

Did you puke on your keyboard when you typed that?

Top Bottom