• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans Condemn Trump For Khan Comments

DA60

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Once in a while, John McCain REALLY impresses me.

This is one of those times.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....oh! Ummm, what? Another Republican leader condemns Trump?? :shock:

Geez, let me know when something really important happens. :roll:

(P.S.: More evidence that Trump as President will not have the kind of support from Congress Hillary would, even from his own Party. Proof that unlike her, he can't do much harm if elected President).

Last edited:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....oh! Ummm, what? Another Republican leader condemns Trump?? :shock:

(P.S.: More evidence that Trump as President will not have the kind of support from Congress Hillary would, even from his own Party. Proof that unlike her, he can't do much harm if elected President).

So your pro Trump speech is..'Vote for Trump because he will get hardly any support from his party in Congress and thusly cannot make things much worse - unlike Clinton.'

Okaaaay.

Wow...setting the bar awfully low are you not?

So your pro Trump speech is..'Vote for Trump because he will get hardly any support from his party in Congress and thusly cannot make things much worse - unlike Clinton.'

Okaaaay.

Actually, that bar was set at a below sea level position by the Republican primary voters who voted for Trump, and the DNC by screwing Bernie voters to ensure a Hillary nomination.

Although disturbing and depressing to consider, Captain Adverse's logic is sound and is very similar in prediction as a few posts of mine as of late regarding the potential for Democrats and Republicans teaming up to impeach Trump in the House as well as convict and remove Trump from office in the Senate if he goes too far off the rails, where Hilary would be impeachment proof by being the first woman President just as Obama is for being the first black President with all the Democrats refusing to stop any power grab.

Be that as it may, I too am not happy at all with the way Trump has handled Captain Khan's parents, the DNC about Captain Khan, or the media's complicit and complacent behavior in this whole thing.

Last edited:
Actually, that bar was set at a below sea level position by the Republican primary voters who voted for Trump, and the DNC by screwing Bernie voters to ensure a Hillary nomination.

Although disturbing and depressing to consider, Captain Adverse's logic is sound and is very similar in prediction as a few posts of mine as of late regarding the potential for Democrats and Republicans teaming up to impeach Trump in the House as well as convict and remove Trump from office in the Senate if he goes too far off the rails, where Hilary would be impeachment proof by being the first woman President just as Obama is for being the first black President with all the Democrats refusing to stop any power grab.

Be that as it may, I too am not happy at all with the way Trump has handled Captain Khan's parents, the DNC about Captain Khan, or the media's complicit and complacent behavior in this whole thing.

Then why vote for either?

Or are you one of those people who says voting for a horrible candidate who leads your party is better then not voting at all?

Because I sure don't.

I say vote only for excellence, settle for nothing less...crap in - crap out. You vote for a lousy politician - then you have no one to blame but yourself if he/she does a lousy job.

Then why vote for either?

Or are you one of those people who says voting for a horrible candidate who leads your party is better then not voting at all?

Because I sure don't.

I say vote only for excellence, settle for nothing less...crap in - crap out. You vote for a lousy politician - then you have no one to blame but yourself if he/she does a lousy job.

I don't know what I'm going to do, yet. The thought of Hillary making Supreme Court Justice appointments worries the heck out of me. There's more that concerns me, of course, about both Hillary and Trump, but I truly believe that Congress would put a bipartisan oxen like yoke around Trump's neck where they would not be able to do so to Hillary because of the blind support she would get from the Democrats.

I don't know what I'm going to do, yet. The thought of Hillary making Supreme Court Justice appointments worries the heck out of me. There's more that concerns me, of course, about both Hillary and Trump, but I truly believe that Congress would put a bipartisan oxen like yoke around Trump's neck where they would not be able to do so to Hillary because of the blind support she would get from the Democrats.

I am neither Rep nor Dem...but if Congress does pass his tariff ideas it will, imo, be DISASTER for America.

It will start a trade war (similar to the Smoot Hawley Act - but those tariffs were no where near as high as Trump proposes) and it will make almost everything FAR more expensive in America.

Plus, many credit Smoot-Hawley with helping to start the Great Depression.

His massive tariff idea is far, FAR worse then anything Clinton is even hinting at doing.

And, no offense, but voting for a lousy candidate just because you are worried that the other one might stack the Supreme Court with people you don't like is not a very good reason, imo.

America is a fiscal and economic mess right now with the Fed completely out-of-control and wreaking havoc on the economy. I guarantee you - whatever you believe is the cause - that getting the economy on a solid footing is far more important then anything the Supreme Court can pass. And I do not think either Trump or Clinton has a clue how to do it. But at least Clinton would just be more of the same whereas Trump could be utterly disastrous if his high tariff law passes.

And the SCOTUS can always be re-stacked at a later time and reverse whatever damage you think they might do.

Personally, I am for Gary Johnson. But if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to choose one of the big two - so long as Trump continues with this tariff madness (let alone his xenophobic anti-Muslim ideas - though I do agree with a few other things he says) - I would pick Clinton as the lesser of two evils.

But - the choice is yours.

Last edited:

If voters send the message that adolescent Trumpeting works in modern politics, don't you think other politicians will pay attention? If the American people 'support' Trump, how could his party not? Bit of a gamble there, to say the least!

I'll never understand countries that don't have preferential voting; but even without it, the "lesser of two evils" approach in a duopoly system is easily a recipe for mediocrity or steady decline.

Last edited:
I am neither Rep nor Dem...but if Congress does pass his tariff ideas it will, imo, be DISASTER for America.

It will start a trade war (similar to the Smoot Hawley Act - but those tariffs were no where near as high as Trump proposes) and it will make almost everything FAR more expensive in America.
Agreed.
Plus, many credit Smoot-Hawley with helping to start the Great Depression.
I believe that as well.
His massive tariff idea is far, FAR worse then anything Clinton is even hinting at doing.
Congress would have to go along with either one of them, and I seriously doubt that Paul Ryan would go along with anything resembling Smoot-Hawley or even close to what Trump is proposing.
And, no offense, but voting for a lousy candidate just because you are worried that the other one might stack the Supreme Court with people you don't like is not a very good reason, imo.
No offense taken, because that's not what I said. There's more than just that reasoning that I'm considering, which is why I started my post above by saying "I don't know what I'm going to do, yet."
I don't know what I'm going to do, yet. America is a fiscal and economic mess right now with the Fed completely out-of-control and wreaking havoc on the economy. I guarantee you - whatever you believe is the cause - that getting the economy on a solid footing is far more important then anything the Supreme Court can pass.
That's debatable, given that the economy tends to find its own natural level similar to how water does. I agree that current monetary policy of the Fed is problematic, and has been since they decided to monetize the debt, even though Bernanke testified before Congress that the Fed would not do that. However, the economy, even in its worst downward fluctuations has a historical record of recovering with a decade, where SCOTUS decisions can effect two, three, or even four generations before bad rulings may even get revisited, much less changed - just as an example.
And I do not think either Trump or Clinton has a clue how to do it.
That's probably the most accurate statement I've read on this forum is a long time.
But at least Clinton would just be more of the same whereas Trump could be utterly disastrous if his high tariff law passes.
Again, the tariffs would have to pass through Congress first. Clinton has already stated that she plans on doing just what you said, more of the same. Meaning that she has already stated that she will use EO's (Trump has as well) to make changes that Congress will not enact. The difference is, that Trump has all the Democrats and most of the Republicans that would not put up with his taking the law into his own hands and legislate via fiat in Executive Orders. However, just as the Democrats have protected and covered for Obama legislating via fiat, they would do the same for Hillary meaning that there would be no checks or balance to her willingness to ignore the Constitution, specifically Article I, and rewrite Article II to fit her agenda. Trump would get impeached, convicted, and removed from office where Hillary would be able to pack the SCOTUS to rule in her favor, just as FDR tried to do. The SCOTUS has ruled over a dozen times that Obama's EO's have violated the US Constitution, but if Hillary is elected and appoints SCOTUS Justices, then she will have ZERO restrictions to prevent her from doing as she wants. That concerns me.
And the SCOTUS can always be re-stacked at a later time and reverse whatever damage you think they might do.
Vacancies on the SCOTUS do not occur that often, every 20 years or so. A generation is 25 years. If Hillary appoints young Justices to replace Scalia (seat already open), Ginsburg and Kennedy (retirement age, and old enough to be thinking about the end of life as a potential) then we could have, with Obama's appointments of Kagin and Sotomayor, could be solidly unbalanced for at least 1, maybe even full 2 generations. So, no, it couldn't be "re-stacked" easily or even at all if vacancies occur at the wrong time.

Before Scalia's death, we had a pretty balanced court with 4 progressives, 4 conservatives, and Kennedy in the middle. But now?
Personally, I am for Gary Johnson. But if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to choose one of the big two - so long as Trump continues with this tariff madness (let alone his xenophobic anti-Muslim ideas - though I do agree with a few other things he says) - I would pick Clinton as the lesser of two evils.
I trust the Congress to keep a Trump or Johnson in check, where they would never be able to agree to control Hillary.
But - the choice is yours.
Yeah, and it makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it.

Okaaaay.

That is the best we can hope for

Back
Top Bottom